Identify Bracket from Image

A conversation among Whalers
Miquel

Identify Bracket from Image

Postby Miquel » Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:35 am

I recently purchased a 1978 Montauk [17—INCLUDE THE LENGTH WHEN CITING A PARTICULAR MODEL].

A bracket (shown below) is near the anchor locker. It may be for a seat. The bracket could be a factory original seat bracket. If it is a factory seat bracket, it may be somewhat sought after. If that is the case, I might sell the bracket.

IMG_7453.jpg
Fi. 1. A seat mounting bracket of a 45-year-old Boston Whaler boat.
IMG_7453.jpg (92.19 KiB) Viewed 1886 times

jimh

Re: Identify Bracket from Image

Postby jimh » Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:17 am

The bracket is intended to hold a tubular aluminum seat post for a pedestal seat. To me the bracket mounting does not look like an OEM mount because of the wooden spacer board and the rusty hardware.

I doubt Boston Whaler fabricated the casting for the bracket; they would not do such casting of white metal parts. Boston Whaler typically used SPRINGFIELD seats and accessories. Many years ago at the Sprindfield plant there was a big fire, and much of their product machining equipment was lost. That bracket might not be available today.

You would have to search for one to determine if there was some market condition that makes it highly valuable.

The bracket seen above (in Figure 1) is missing the tightening screw and handle.

The bracket may also missing the black plastic insert that separates the two metals of the casting and the post so they don’t corrode together.

My recollection of the OEM post mount was that it was not open on the bottom. But that is just a hazy memory.

Miquel

Re: Identify Bracket from Image

Postby Miquel » Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:31 pm

Thank you Jim

All of my assumptions about the bracket were based on things I read on Whaler Central. There were a few people that posted ads looking for a bracket for the original seat. They too had mentioned the seat and bracket were not manufactured by BW, but they[BW] did install them at the factory if buyers ordered them. I have no interest in having a seat there, and would also just give it to someone if they wanted it. No need to extract money from anyone.