Hull Damage Worth Repair

A conversation among Whalers
JLimb

Hull Damage Worth Repair

Postby JLimb » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:42 am

I own a 1992 23 Walkaround. The boat somewhere in the past struck something and was repaired incorrectly. Two years ago this repair failed and I was faced with fixing it. Myself and the previous owner were unaware of this damage. I had two areas done by an excellent glass shop. Now I am faced with another large area delaminating adjacent to the work done two years ago. I am not sure what to do here. I thought that the other repair would fix the problem. The new spot is about five feet in length and at least three feet wide.

If I fix this one will another appear down the road?

I have read a similar story here where a hull was punctured and insurance totaled the boat rather than fix it. We have had enjoyed this boat and had planned to keep it. I re-powered it three years ago with that in mind, but I fear problems with the hull bottom are going to continue cropping up.

Should I cut my losses?

Jefecinco

Re: Hull Damage Worth Repair

Postby Jefecinco » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:27 am

When it comes to making decisions of these kinds it is almost impossible to keep your emotional attachment out of the process. If you really enjoy the boat and if the repair will not stretch your budget too much make the repair. The recent repower makes it almost impossible for you to repair and sell the boat for enough to replace it with another walkaround. Selling the boat without making the repair would possibly be worse.

Before making the repair have the entire hull carefully examined by an expert on Boston Whaler hull construction. There may be some tools available to help in the examination. High definition infra red scanners come to mind as well as old fashioned hull tapping hammers in the right hands.

Perhaps you should consider a different "excellent" shop if you decide to proceed with the repair. You must be disappointed that the previous shop did not detect the latent defect and include it in the effort. That may be unfair and those kinds of things may "just happen" with our hulls. I certainly claim no expertise in correcting hull delamination problems.
Butch

JLimb

Postby JLimb » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:36 am

Having had some time to think on this concern point taken. Can anyone recommend a shop on Cape Cod that does Whalers ?

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:11 am

...recommend a shop on Cape Cod that does Whalers...

NAUSET MARINE on Cape Cod was one of the first dealers to sell Boston Whaler boats.

http://www.nausetmarine.com/service/fiberglass-repairs/

To gain appreciation for how long NAUSET MARINE has been affiliated with Boston Whaler boats, listen to:

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/radio/ ... arine1.mp3
http://continuouswave.com/whaler/radio/ ... arine2.mp3

Considering the replacement cost of a new boat that would be comparable to a Boston Whaler 23 WALKAROUND with new re-power engines, I think a major repair of hull damage could be worth a large expenditure.

Another option to consider is buying a second, used 23 WALKAROUND that has a good hull but needs re-powering. Because of the high cost of buying twin modern outboard engines of 200-HP, there are many older boats with old twin engines that need replacement that are being offered for amazingly low prices. Move your engines to the other boat, and sell your existing hull to someone who wants a repair project.

Binkster

Postby Binkster » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:06 am

I think [jimh's] last idea is the way to go at this point. The two previous repairs might not have been done right and caused the latest delamination. Or, maybe [this hull] just can't be fixed.

How do you re-laminate the foam to the hull bottom, anyway, in a large area, especially if moisture is getting between the hull and the foam?

ASIDE on BOAT BUILDING TRANSITION TO FIBERGLASS CONSTRUCTION IN THE 1950's

[This interesting topic deserves its own thread. I have returned Rich's article to him an encouraged him to start a new thread on this new topic.--jimh]

myakka

Postby myakka » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:24 pm

This family started with Boston Whaler very early on and branched out on their own:

https://www.angieslist.com/companylist/ ... 484636.htm

I am not sure if they are still in business and I've been out of the area for over ten years.