Northport Marina Improvements

A conversation among Whalers
jimh

Northport Marina Improvements

Postby jimh » Sat May 20, 2023 6:06 am

The G. Marsten Dame marina at Northport, Michigan, has significant construction work in progress on the boat launching area. The level of the parking lot is being raised about a foot or more, and a new concrete launching ramp is being constructed. The cost of this project is about $1,000,000, with the village contributing about half and federal or state funds providing the rest. I visited the marina on May 10, 2023, and I found there was still a lot of work to be done.

parkingLotNorthport.jpg
Fig. 1. Construction work on the parking lot at Northport's public marina as seen on May 10, 2023.
parkingLotNorthport.jpg (207.68 KiB) Viewed 9855 times

In 2020-2021 the level of Lake Michigan rose to nearly record high-water levels, with the lake rising to about four feet above its long-term average level. The result at the boat launching ramp was the lake was able to spill over the top of the ramp and flood parts of the parking lot. The parking lot flooding was also complicated by the existing drainage system, which instead of draining rain water from the parking lot into the lake, was now permitting lake water to flow into the drain and rise into the parking lot. For several months in the summer of 2020 the parking lot had a few inches of water sitting atop the asphalt in low spots in the lot, and to reach the launching ramp one had to wade through about 30-feet of shallow the water. To prevent this from occurring again, the Village of Northport is raising the parking lot level. The improvements are also supposed to create 34 additional trailer parking spaces. Added trailer parking spaces will be much appreciated, as there has been considerable contention for the limited number of trailer parking spaces at this busy ramp during Summer.

rampNorthport.jpg
Fig. 2. The new one-piece boat launch ramp has been poured. Parts of the cofferdam remain in place in this view, taken on May 10, 2023.
rampNorthport.jpg (184.3 KiB) Viewed 9855 times

As part of the overall project, the existing concrete boat launching ramp is being replaced. The old ramp was formed by several large slabs of concrete, but over the years the gaps between the slabs had widened. While this was not particularly harmful for the tires of boat trailers, it was quite a hazard to your foot if you had to walk down the ramp into the water to attach a towing line to the bow tow eye of your boat. Stepping into the gap between slabs was a hazard and could cause falling or worse outcomes.

In early May the launch ramp and parking lot are were not accessible, and the work looked like there was still a lot to be done. The Village indicated that mid-June was the anticipated date for completion of the improvements. Until then, the boat ramp won't be available, nor will the parking lot adjacent to the ramp be open.

Normally in late April and early May the launch ramp and parking lot are at full capacity every day due to very good perch fishing in Northport Bay. I am sure a lot of anglers were disappointed this Spring to find the ramp closed.

More details about the project can be found at

https://www.leelanauticker.com/news/northport-marina-readies-for-upgrades/

floodedParkingLotCrop.jpg
Fig. 3. The flooded parking lot at the marina in an undated photograph during high water on Lake Michigan. The tall orange cones mark a depression with a drain, now hidden to vehicle traffic. This image was probably taken on a day with strong East winds; the parking lot was not always at this state of flooding. This is probably about the worst flooding experienced.
floodedParkingLotCrop.jpg (124.36 KiB) Viewed 9830 times

jimh

Re: Northport Marina Improvements

Postby jimh » Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:12 pm

The Village of Nothport—now my boat’s home port for the Summer—has almost finished its significant project to improve the boat launch ramp, wrapping up the majority of the work and reopening the launch area and trailer parking just as promised for “mid-June.” There are just a few more items to complete, such as new street lighting poles and signage.

The new boat launch ramp looks great. The ramp surface is much better—a one-piece poured concrete structure instead of multiple individual slabs held in place by friction. The parking lot grade level is now about a foot higher, so in 25-years when we get the next occurrence of Lake Michigan at record high water (5-feet over chart datum) the pavement should be dry and not flooded.

IMG_6142 Medium.jpeg
Fig. 4. The raised and resurfaced parking lot at the Nothport boat launch. There are now 12 trailer parking spaces.
IMG_6142 Medium.jpeg (85.89 KiB) Viewed 9586 times

IMG_6143 Medium.jpeg
Fig. 5. The new boat launch ramp, with a new courtesy dock.
IMG_6143 Medium.jpeg (91.68 KiB) Viewed 9581 times

IMG_6147 Medium.jpeg
Fig. 6. The courtesy dock is very strongly built. The underwater pavement of the ramp extends into deep water, all the way to the end of the dock.
IMG_6147 Medium.jpeg (120.2 KiB) Viewed 9580 times

IMG_6133 Medium.jpeg
Fig. 7. Electric charger at slip.
IMG_6133 Medium.jpeg (90.33 KiB) Viewed 9575 times

And the marina now has one slip with an electric charging station, for those rare occasions when a battery-powered boat needs to recharge:

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Jun 18, 2023 12:58 pm

A bit of amending is needed in the number of parking spaces available at the boat launch parking lot after the renovation. Previously I cited 34-parking spaces, based on information provided to me about the planned improvements. Indeed, there are 34-parking spaces now available in the boat launch parking area, but 22-spaces are for automobiles without boat trailers, and 12-spaces are marked “trailer parking only.”

Personal observation of the boat trailer parking for the last five years has shown that the availability of boat-trailer parking at the ramp on fair weather Summer days for small craft boating, particularly on Fridays through Mondays, is extremely limited. Often by noon on a nice day the ramp parking is full. Even more frustrating, one often sees boat trailers parked overnight for the entire weekend with their boats still on the boat trailers, sometimes with the boats fully covered with a trailering cover. Although signs used to say “No over night parking” in that parking lot, it was common to see several boats left on their trailers over night.

I was optimistic that the $1,000,000 renovations would add more boat trailer parking. I don’t think there was any significant change in boat trailer parking. An area of the parking lot exit roadway was widened to create a wider tie-down or preparation area for boats hauling out or arriving to launch. To not have added more boat trailer parking makes me, as a transient boater and a tax payer in the village, rather upset with the cost-benefit analysis of this project.

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Jul 06, 2023 3:32 pm

On July 5, 2023 I measured the downslope of the new launching ramp at the G. Marsten Dame Marina at Northport. The ramp slopes down at a rate of 12.94-percent, or at an angle of 7.4-degrees. Those figures are based on reaching 40-inches water depth in 309 inches from the shoreline.

Based on my recollection, I think the previous ramp had a steeper descent, but I never took any measurements of it.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Thu Jul 06, 2023 4:45 pm

I think the courtesy dock designs being installed on lakes are quite poor from a boater's perspective.

Using precast concrete sections (narrow and long) are easy to install and repair and are less prone to damage.

Having exposed posts every 8' or whatever makes is hard to land a boat let alone walk a boat forward or backward along the dock. Setting proper fenders is a hassle.

Given the short length of the docks I see on several lakes, and this one (another shortsighted design flaw) why not install a few steel piles centered and use floats instead. Easy to remove and less prone to damaging waves.

Oh well.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003