190 OUTRAGE

A conversation among Whalers
Blackfin32

190 OUTRAGE

Postby Blackfin32 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:48 am

I stumbled across a 2010 190 Outrage with a VERADO 150-HP engine with low hours in excellent condition. I think I'm on good money with the boat, so I am pressing forward.

I have also researched and read every thread I could find on this boat or the 190 Nantucket, [but] any fresh opinions or comments are welcomed, since most of those threads were [more than five-years-old]. My local dealer claims they don't sell many [190 Outrage with a VERADO 150-HP boats] because they are crazy expensive, and the Montauk boats are the big sellers.

The [190 Outrage with a VERADO 150-HP] boat does not have as much room as the 190 Montauk, but certainly [will be] adequate for three to four for the sandbars and salty looking little ride and please share your thoughts and cheers, Adam.

Phil T

Re: 190 outrage

Postby Phil T » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:28 pm

The 190 Outrage (originally called Nantucket) is a great boat.

They are expensive compared to a Montauk but cheaper than the larger Outrage. There is a lot of competition in the 19-foot-offshore style and many other brands are less money but lower quality.

The Outrage 190 will be comfortable in the open ocean in anything up to and including [small craft advistory] conditions. The Montauk 190 will want to go home.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

Blackfin32

Re: 190 OUTRAGE

Postby Blackfin32 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:50 pm

I'm buying this boat. I hope I'm not making a mistake. I should close wednesday of next week.

Tedd04

Postby Tedd04 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:28 pm

Blackfin32 wrote:I'm buying this boat. I hope I'm not making a mistake. I should close wednesday of next week.

I've got an 04' 190 Nantucket with a 2016 Mercury 150 4 stroke. I use it for salmon fishing and cruising around the great lakes. It's a very versatile and affordable boat to operate as it's very good on gas. It runs 52.8 mph on gps with 2 guys and about 45 gallons of gas...I could likely clear 53mph if I were to really push it which I won't. It can get to 50mph w/o any effort. Beyond that it takes a little more time to get those last few mph. The boat does not show its age and is phenomenal condition (I am very particular about my "toys"). I'll be shocked if you aren't more than elated with your purchase. I can see myself owning this boat for a long time.

Blackfin32

Postby Blackfin32 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:37 pm

thank you sir for the encouraging words! I'm gonna have to buy this one without a sea trial.. out of 25 boats I've owned, this one and one other are the only exceptions. I have to go out of town and wont have time, wont be back until 7/2, I want the boat for when I get back. so I'm closing on it, my electronics guy is putting full JL stereo with amp and sub, tabs, factory bow cushion, and replacing the old 4" garmin with a new 94sv chirp.
I want to learn how to attach pics from an iphone to this thread so I can post the progress.. is there a quick link on how to do so from an iphone?

Marc

Postby Marc » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:53 pm

I think you made a good choice. The Outrage handles the rough stuff well.
Marc

Blackfin32

Postby Blackfin32 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:46 am

quick splash last night for seatrial. maybe only 15 minute ride, just to check WOT rpms and make sure no skips.. first impression- amazed how quick out of the hole, even with very little input from the merc fly by wire control.. water was very smooth in the river, no chop.. boat felt solid, very smooth, could accept alot of trim without any cavitation or prop slip... I was impressed! now she is going to shop to get tabs, new garmin 94sv chirp, 4 7.7 JLs with 10" sub and JL 600 amp... it's time to unleash the beast!!

queenfish

Postby queenfish » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:59 pm

I too have the 2004 Nantucket. I bought it last April and just this month repowered it with an ETEC 150. It came with the original 2004 Merc 115 two stroke and was a bit underpowered.
My previous Whalers were a 1978 17 Montauk which I loved, then a 1985 18 Outrage, which I also loved.
This new one handles the heavy seas a little better then the 18 Outrage, but is not as nimble.
I really like the boat so far and fish pretty hard up to 40 miles off shore here in San Diego.

FYI. I'm getting about 3.2 to 3.5 mpg with the ETEC, have a very quick hole-shot and top out just above 40 mph.

Mark

Tedd04

Postby Tedd04 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:48 pm

queenfish wrote:I too have the 2004 Nantucket. I bought it last April and just this month repowered it with an ETEC 150. It came with the original 2004 Merc 115 two stroke and was a bit underpowered.
My previous Whalers were a 1978 17 Montauk which I loved, then a 1985 18 Outrage, which I also loved.
This new one handles the heavy seas a little better then the 18 Outrage, but is not as nimble.
I really like the boat so far and fish pretty hard up to 40 miles off shore here in San Diego.

FYI. I'm getting about 3.2 to 3.5 mpg with the ETEC, have a very quick hole-shot and top out just above 40 mph.

Mark

I am shocked you are topping out just above 40 mph... you might want to consider a new prop. I am assuming you have the boat trimmed properly when testing for performance. With 4 guys, 50 gallons of gas, and a boat full of salmon gear I can hit 48mph. 45mph happens relatively quickly with that same load...

Blackfin32

Postby Blackfin32 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:35 am

those were my exactly my first thoughts...same numbers here, I saw 45 at blink of an eye, then crept up slowly from there. smartcraft guages showed almost 3.8-3.9 mpg at around 23-25 knots. smooth conditions, 1/2 fuel, 2 men. that 150 etec is a strong motor, I agree with Ted, you might need to start playing with props.

Blackfin32

Postby Blackfin32 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:50 am

just wanted to give an update, I love the boat... very economical.. here is a brief summary of likes and dislikes:
1) amazing motor! (150 verado). I have never been a 4 stroke fan, buut being this is my first, I now see what all the rave is! whisper quiet operation regardless of rpm, smooth, extremely economical, and did I gget to say how much I love the DTS electronic control??? all I can say is WOW....outboards have really come a long way!
2) SIMPLICITY: what an easy boat to clean and maintain. love the nonskid pattern, very functional, easy to clean. lots of "useable" space for a 19..
3)LOOKS: for whatever reason, I am more of a traditionalist, I love the look of the pointed bow as opposed to the square bow of the Montauk. I fully understand the concept of how the montauk carries beam to the bow, therefore creating more space up there, but the look is simply not the same. the little outrage just looks more "salty". beefy and stout little boat. It's understandable why they have kept her in the current lineup.
5)ECONOMY: incredible.....that's about all I can say...
6) FEATURES: for the fisherman, quite simply put, much nicer than the montauk.. comparing apples to apples, given "non t-top boats, the rod holders both on the gunwales and under the gunwales make a huge difference in fishability. you cannot get gunwale mounted rod holders on the montauk. whether or not you use the horizontal under gunwale racks, they make great storage for the brush and handle, chamois mop and handle, boat hook pole, nav light pole, etc.. this also offers more interior room.

DISLIKES:
1) STORAGE: maybe I'm just used to bigger boats, but storage is limited to whatever you can cram under the console, that's about it. forget the front main locker, that is pretty much dedicated anchor storage,and when you throw in the stern anchor as well for the sand bars, it instantly is "full".
that leaves the livewell. when No fishing, it makes a great trash can, and place to throw dock lines and fenders.... that's about it...
3) RIDE: not the best, but not the worst either... when smooth, she rides great. seems to not like chop, must slow down , even with tabs fully down. I think that is something I just have to get used to. coming from a 32 blackfin, this should be understandable.

Other than that, did I say I love my new ride????:)

Dutchman

Postby Dutchman » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:50 pm

Blackfin thanks for the update and again welcome to the Boston Whaler family.
I you tried another 19' boat as to riding comfort. it is hard to compare to a 32' boat as the Titanic would be smoother than the 32' You know that the bigger the boat and the heavier her displacement the smoother she sails.
Try a 19' Lund or Starcraft fishing boat and compare the ride.
Happy boating and fishing this summer and fair winds for a smoother ride.
EJO
"Clumsy Cleat"look up what it means
50th edition 2008 Montauk 150, w/60HP Mercury Bigfoot

Blackfin32

Postby Blackfin32 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:37 pm

i'm lovin the boat so far... a few questions:
the livewell- is there a "stand pipe" that fits into the bottom drain hole. haven't studied it that hard yet, but flipping through on line , found a diagram that shows there is an overflow drain up top. (i didn't notice this). then you put in a "plug" into the bottom drain. mine did not come with that "plug", guess i need to order from a dealer?
the pole light (360 degree white) that fits onto the top of console. not working. checked voltage , good. checked bulb, good. guess i will order new one. can't seem to find one in that length from perko or attwood... dealer order as well, or do any of you know a link of one you can send or know of?

Divin'Ivan

Postby Divin'Ivan » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:52 pm

Blackfin32 wrote:i'm lovin the boat so far... a few questions:
the livewell- is there a "stand pipe" that fits into the bottom drain hole. haven't studied it that hard yet, but flipping through on line , found a diagram that shows there is an overflow drain up top. (i didn't notice this). then you put in a "plug" into the bottom drain. mine did not come with that "plug", guess i need to order from a dealer?
the pole light (360 degree white) that fits onto the top of console. not working. checked voltage , good. checked bulb, good. guess i will order new one. can't seem to find one in that length from perko or attwood... dealer order as well, or do any of you know a link of one you can send or know of?

Congrats on the boat, I have a 2013 190 Outrage myself and really love it. I agree with all of your likes and dislikes about the boat, especially the lack of storage. As far as the ride, I got used to managing my speed on chop, and I don't have tabs yet. 18 degree dead rise is pretty common on a boat this size, any more and the boat will roll too much on the drift, you will find that the boat is remarkably stable.

As far as storage, I don't have one myself but adding a t-top will help a lot. Once you put the life vests up in a t-bag it will really open up the console for more storage. I'm working on a way to put the life vests under the gunel, both to open space in the console as well as safety. Do you have the leaning post? Or the individual seats. I have the leaning post and it has decent storage inside. Also, the little bucket under the starboard rear seat is God for dock lines and other stuff.

Regarding your problems. The plug for the live well is just a small rubber drain plug, not unlike something you'd use on a bathtub. The anchor light, you may want to put some dielectric grease on the end and work the pole in and out of the fitting a couple of times. That should fix the problem, I have had that problem before and now keep a tube of dielectric grease on my toolkit.

If you look at my posts, you will see how I added a raw water wash down. I'm in the process of adding a fresh water tank to dual purpose the pump for fresh and raw water use.

Finally, where do you live?
Current boat - 2018 270 Dauntless, Twin Mercury 225 Verado
Previous boat - 2013 190 Outrage, Mercury 150 EFI - SOLD

Blackfin32

Postby Blackfin32 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:44 am

I live in Savannah, Ga.. boat stays in thunderbolt at savannah bend marina.. I talked to my electronics guy about the pole light. he is going to replace the female socket in the pole base, as that is where the the problem is. 12 volts going to the base. bulb is good, no corrosion problems either within the globe. Because the pole is so tall, it is not a regular stocking item at west marine or any other retailer. must be special order, and very pricey. so we gonna fix the light.
the drain... yes, I am going to get one of those plugs from the dealer, they have those in stock. so that concern will go away..
storage- you are 100% correct about the life jackets, that is what kills the storage under the console. I have "creatively" figured out a way to "cram" 3 of them up and over the internal tackle/storage box that is behind the console backrest. there is enough room to get three up there. then i placed another one flat on top of battery box. I placed a 5th one, and throw cushion, in the foward anchor locker. since I keep my main and stern anchors up there for the sanbars, both the single vest and cushion actually now provide more function as they serve as protecion to keep the shanks and flukes of the the anchors from banging and chipping gelcoat within the compartment. that foward box is really only good for anchor storage anyway, and it is an awkward size because once you put anchor(s) and line up up there, there is still a little more room, but not for much more other than maybe a throw cushion and one life vest, which i threw in there as well. If I need a 6th jacket, i will just throw it under console, but rarely would i ever have 6 onboard. i have mostly 4 at most.
the t-top.... yes it does instantly fix the problem with the boat as far as the life jacket storage. however I have learned many advantages of just keeping the sun top. (bimini). For starters, cost... the price of the factory t-top is ouch, ouch, and more ouch... then appears another hidden cost... at my marina, it costs another $50 monthly for t-top boats, regardless of size, because of the height restrictions within the barn. the boat would have to go into another section of the barn where the beams are set higher. in my application, I can lay the top down, and go all the way up to the highest level, no problems.. most marinas today have the same concern. not many boats can utilize the top level, unless it is a smaller runabout, flats boat, bay boat without t-top, etc.. by not having a t-top, my storage bill is now less... and i dont have to worry about a neighbor above me dripping anything on me.. it's actually nice!!
the top itself is beyond impressive itself.. the SS hardware is thick and beefy.. looks like something that would be on a big motor yacht.. and when it's up, offers much more shade than a t-top.. i like it.. even when i have it in the boot and riding in the designated position, it looks very nice, doesnt shake,rattle, or vibrate when running, and takes a whopping 1 minute to open it and get shade when needed.... same for putting it back in "top down" mode.... it just works for me.. and i also feel the boat is borderline small for a t-top as well.. for the $$$$, I just can justify the advantages on this particular boat..
the little storage compartment under the starboard back seat.- I keep the boat soap, chamois, other various cleaning supplies.. in the livewell, i throw the fenders and docklines, and use it as trash can as well. I have leaning post as well.. I use it to throw all small items that come onboard for the day, such as jerky,chips,pretzels,wallets,keys,sunscreen, shirts when they come off,etc....it fills up amazingly quick when we board, when we get off boat for the day, it gets emptied again.. it is really just a "catch all" for a day trip.
on the front of the console, i tried using that 54qt igloo that came with the boat, because it fit perfect and had the factory matching cushion to go with the backrest.. but the cooler sucks, by the time i fill it with beer/water/gatorade and top it with ice, 3 hours later all the ice is melted and there is nothing but water.. i put my 65 yeti up there. takes up a little more room, but now perfectly house all the cold items for 4 for the day. no ice melt whatsoever, so i fixed that "concern" as well:)
on a fun note, I ran the boat in a fundraiser poker run for melenoma cancer research. got lucky and won $550 in her, beat out all the bigger/faster boats.... so the mini outrage brought me some good luck on saturday and with my "guest girl friend" on saturday night....So i cant complain how the mini outrage is performing so far in many situations:)

Divin'Ivan

Postby Divin'Ivan » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:40 pm

Haha, thats admirable and congrats on the poker run. I agree with everything you said regarding the T-Top, and for some of those reasons I don't have one on mine. The factory T-Top is really ridiculously priced from BW, and was not even offered until the 2014 model.

I know what you mean about that area above the tackle box, I thought i was being clever and rigged a quick release velcro strap to hold 8 inflatable life vests up and in there. They fit great, except I later found out inflatable life vests don't meet USCG requirements unless they are being worn.

You may want to try the dielectric grease before you pay to repair anything, like I said I had problems with mine as well and the grease did the trick.
Current boat - 2018 270 Dauntless, Twin Mercury 225 Verado
Previous boat - 2013 190 Outrage, Mercury 150 EFI - SOLD