FS: 1972 Cohasset II $8,500 in Georgia

For Boston Whaler boats or related gear
superdave_gv

FS: 1972 Cohasset II $8,500 in Georgia

Postby superdave_gv » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:26 pm

For-sale: a 1972 Cohasset II, a 1989 Evinrude 88 SPL with tilt-trim, and Continental keel roller trailer with launch guides for $8,500 in Atlanta, Georgia.

CONTACT: Telephone 4 zero 4 - 8 ninety five - 9 3 fifteen: text or leave voice mail and I will contact you

1a.jpg
1a.jpg (23.26 KiB) Viewed 4232 times

2a.jpg
2a.jpg (27.08 KiB) Viewed 4232 times

3a.jpg
3a.jpg (25.43 KiB) Viewed 4232 times

4a.jpg
4a.jpg (39.33 KiB) Viewed 4232 times

5a.jpg
5a.jpg (17.04 KiB) Viewed 4232 times

6a.jpg
6a.jpg (32.39 KiB) Viewed 4232 times

Pretty unique opportunity to get a piece of Whaler history and a wonderful and roomy 16'7" center console. Selling due to a combination of things-- family destinations changing and my tow vehicle went kaput. We are super sad to sell the boat and will continue to be occasional boaters but finally admitting our vacation destinations have shifted a bit and we are not bringing it with us on trips like we thought we would. This will be listed here for some time before listing on high traffic marketplace sites. I am open to feedback on the price in this crazy market -- not trying to gouge anyone and hoping to avoid selling to a fast talking flipper. This is a real treasure of a boat, low maintenance and not complicated. It's not the mona lisa but it's a classic. The boat is in my driveway and I am available to facetime/zoom for serious inquiries.

The boat will come with everything boat-related so that a first time owner could become an active boater at time of purchase. This includes battery charger, Engel 35 cooler with pad, lifejackets, sunbrella cover, engine service manual, archive documents from original owners, anchor, two 6 gallon gas tanks (filled recently with non-ethanol gas), trailer chocks, extra cover straps, some extra 2-cycle oil, ladder, spare tire on trailer, transom straps, etc. The trailer is a 1 7/8" with 4-wire connector. As a 20 year Whaler enthusiast I am happy to patiently share any tips and advice if needed.

The full history: The boat is not heavily modified and it is my second Whaler. Owned since 2008 as the first owner "outside of the original owner's family" as this boat was purchased new by the grandfather of a friend / co-worker of mine. He did a great re-gelcoat job on the hull exterior, replaced the rub rail, redid the padded seat on the RPS, repowered it and mounted the outboard on some nice setbacks for better planing and stored it at Lake Lanier in covered storage (grandfather had the boat in Florida). The interior floor does show some age but it is holding up functionally very well. There is a battery cutoff in the console (where the battery is kept). Shortly after purchase, I had a boat shop replace the brass thru-hulls, make a repair to address a small 2-3" delamination that had just started, set up the trailer a little better and add a power tilt/trim unit (sourced from an Evinrude that was being parted out in Spartanburg South Carolina) with a switch on the console that bypasses the battery switch. A very talented Whaler owner at Lake Lanier re-did all the varnish (pulling all the wood off). The boat was used a few times a year until I got married and then it went to a barn in Virginia for several years (used a few times on Lake Philpott), returning to Atlanta in 2017 and getting a sunbrella cover with tent poles. Here in Atlanta, it was serviced by a mechanic (seals, lubes, fuel lines, etc) in 2017 and the compression checked-- was great at 100/100/110. In the last year or so, I have added the cooler tie-downs (screwed to the wood inlaid in hull) for an Engel 35 cooler with seat pad and restored the wiring to the navigation lights (bow) and stern all-around light and the switch. Most recently, I replaced the magnetic solenoid primer for starting with the new style that has a valve for fogging. We rewired the ignition switch in 2017 and the old primer was ok but not great but would always work with manually opening the valve (turn the red knob) but that mean taking the engine cover off. The new one works great (push in and turn key when starting to engage). Also learned that keeping the battery connected to a battery tender jr ensures it starts pretty quickly when it hasn't been used a while. My routine is to start it in the driveway on earmuffs/garden hose for a few minutes then head to the lake. The boat has been out on Lake Rabun and Lake Burton 2-3 times a year for the last few years and once on Lake Lanier.

As far as upcoming maintenance, the teleflex cable's red sheath is showing wear but is 100% functional. The instrumentation gauges have never been functional and were not needed for my use. Maybe buy an m-y wedge if you plan to trailer a lot. I have not painted liquid electrical tape on the terminal posts for the navigation lighting yet.

We really didn't plan on selling the boat until my tow vehicle started having problems and we decided buy a nicer car and sell the boat. We don't have to sell it but decided to and will. My guess is there are plenty of people moving to the lakes and coasts for remote working nowadays and it's time to let someone else join the Whaler family. Or maybe this is a great boat for someone to downsize / upsize / etc.
Last edited by superdave_gv on Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

superdave_gv

Re: FS: 1972 Cohasset II $8,500 in Georgia

Postby superdave_gv » Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:36 pm

Dropping the price to $7,000.

Thanks!

superdave_gv

Postby superdave_gv » Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:32 pm

Price drop to $6,000. Looking forward to the sale.

superdave_gv

Postby superdave_gv » Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:05 pm

Sale pending - thanks J & D!