Appraisal: 1985 Outrage 18

For Boston Whaler boats or related gear
ranjr13

Appraisal: 1985 Outrage 18

Postby ranjr13 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:08 pm

APPRAISAL for a 1985 [OUTRAGE 18] with a 1998 Johnson 150-HP Ocean Runner, and 2007 Loadmaster Aluminum Trailer. The boat has never been kept in the water and has never bottom painted. The boat has been stored inside by present owner. The boat is located in Connecticut.

The boat is set-up for a single engine.

The hull has never been painted.

The [cockpit] was painted with Awlgrip by previous owner.

The teak has been varnished with Interlux Sikkens.

The electronics include a Garmin 545s, a Standard Horizon VHF [OF UNSPECIFIED MODEL], an external speaker, and an AM/FM broadcast receiver.

The boat has [a classic Reversible Pilot Seat]

The boat has a cooler with seat cushions [located forward of the center] console.

The boat has original [forward] vee cushions.

The boat has a Wm. J. Mills canvas set consisting of a FORWARD SHELTER with boot, a SUN TOP with boot, stainless steel frames, and a full mooring cover; all are in like-new condition.

The boat has SeaStar Hydraulic Steering.

There is a small swim platform with boarding ladder,.

Miscellaneous gear such as life jackets, lines, fenders, fire extinguisher and an electric horn are included.

The boat has navigation lighting.

The fuel tank was replaced by previous owner, and design drawings and photographs of the tank are available.

The 1998 Johnson 150-HP Ocean Runner was purchased new for this boat by the second previous owner ago. The engine was service in May 2021 at Boatworks of South Windsor, Connecticut. The service included replacement of the lower unit seals (preventative), installation of a new water pump kit and new spark plugs/ The gear case lubricant was changed. The engine was checked-up overall, and there were no recommendations for any additional work needed.

The stainless steel propeller was rebuilt about 100-hours of engine run time in the past.

A spare aluminum propeller is included.

The battery was replaced in 2020.

2007 Loadmaster Aluminum Trailer was purchased new for this boat by me. The trailer has ALL OPTIONS: hydraulic disc brakes, LED lighting package, bunks setup for 18-foot , spare tire holder with spare tire and spare hub, radial tires, spare tire cover, side loading assist poles with PVC extensions. The wheel bearings were replaced in May 2021. The trailer one of the best available for Boston Whalers with unique frame design and bunks to protect bottom.

This boat has been well cared for by previous and present owners.

The engine is very strong.

The maximum boat speed with proper trim is almost 40-MPH.

The boat cruises very comfortably at 17 to 20-MPH.

Image Image Image Image
Bob Norton Jr
Haddam, Connecticut
2002 Outrage 230
2011 ETech 250
2024 Loadmaster Aluminum Trailer

Phil T

Re: Appraisal 1985 Outrage, 150 Johnson w/trlr

Postby Phil T » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:34 pm

Due to the painting of the interior, $12-$13K. If it was original gelcoat, $15-$18K.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

jimh

Re: Appraisal: 1985 Outrage [UNSPECIFIED MODEL]

Postby jimh » Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:43 pm

If the 1985 OUTRAGE 18 is a very desirable model. If you ever decide to list it for sale, be sure to mention it is an Outrage 18.

The following are significant positives for the boat which will tend to increase its value:

1. no bottom paint
  2. teak gunwales
  3. Wm. J. Mill & Co. weather canvas; you should give the age of the canvas
  4. Reversible Pilot Seat
  5. hydraulic steering
  6. newer replacement fuel tank
  7. swim platform and boarding ladder
  8. and very nice, very recent trailer.

The 1998 Johnson 150-HP engine could run another 20-years. That small V6 block 150-HP is perhaps the best engine OMC ever made. There is no immediate need to re-power, unless the buyer plans to use the boat 400-hours per season and would like to reduce fuel consumption with a more fuel-efficient engine. Here I assume the engine starts, idles, and runs well.

The miscellaneous gear included adds some incremental value. Electronics are okay, but they age very quickly, so I don't consider them high-value items.

The re-painted cockpit is the only non-positive attribute, but if the AWLGRIP paint job was well done, I don't see it as a huge negative

All told, I think this is a very nice example of a classic era OUTRAGE, and if an OUTRAGE 18, even better.

Given the boat is ready to use, may be a popular model, and has many very nice positive attributes, I think you could easily ask $20,000, and perhaps even more given your very upscale and expensive East Coast location. (I used to live in Fairfield County.)

ranjr13

Postby ranjr13 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:59 am

Jim, as always you are spot on. My apologies for not stating it is an Outrage 18. The complete Mills canvas set is 10 years old, but was preserved and never in the weather - just washed and treated and many of the original loose threads from production are still in tact. I picked the set up in Greenport , NY and installed with my dad. They looked so nice, they've never been out in the weather to protect the boat. The motor performs perfectly but isn't kind on fuel use when pushed.

Fairfield County is a great place - very high traffic, we're east of there along the CT River. Jim, thank you again, will be listing the boat shortly.
Bob Norton Jr
Haddam, Connecticut
2002 Outrage 230
2011 ETech 250
2024 Loadmaster Aluminum Trailer

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:29 am

Ten-year-old Mills canvas is a very big asset. That canvas adds at least $1,000 value to the boat. And ten years is not much age for well-made and well-cared-for canvas.

biggiefl

Postby biggiefl » Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:50 pm

An 18 Outrage with a 150 should run closer to 50mph. Mine with a 115 does 41. Something does not add up as mine cruises at 3900 at 26+mph with a 115.

Jim--you are way off with $20,000 on a 23 year old engine that is worth maybe $2,000. I'm going with Phil and maybe he is a tad high with paint work done.
On my 24th Whaler. Currently in the stable: 86 18' Outrage, 81 13' Sport(original owner), 87 11' Sport, 69 Squall(for sale cheap).

jimh

Re: Appraisal: 1985 Outrage 18

Postby jimh » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:14 am

I really like those OMC V6 small-block engines. They might run forever. A running engine removes the need to spend $15,000 on a new engine--which you can't actually buy now due to backlog.

The Mills canvas will cost $2,000 and take hours to install and rig. That is a big asset in my view.

The trailer eliminates the need to buy a new trailer for $2,500.

On just those three items I see a chance to save about $20,000 in refurbishment of another OUTRAGE 18 that needs a new engine, canvas, and a trailer.

Also, the boat has no bottom paint, very well cared for. What's not to like about this boat?

Look at the replacement cost with a new 170 MONTAUK, the c.2021 equivalent. You'd be spending $50,000.

And coastal Connecticut is probably one of the MOST expensive areas of the country. This isn't a barn-find in northern Idaho.

In any case, it is a lot easier for a seller to LOWER the price if the boat sits on the market unsold, than it would be to raise the price if the boat gets ten offers at a lower price.