Page 1 of 1

Appraisal: 1973 Katama 16

Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 7:02 pm
by rchasm
I would greatly appreciate an appraisal on a 1973 Katama 16. I purchased the boat in April 2006 from the original owner who had used it for a period of time on the ocean in the Boston area. He subsequently moved to Arkansas and we used it on the White River reservoirs for the 5 years we lived in the area. We moved back to Colorado in 2010 and the boat has been covered and outdoors in a RV/boat storage facility since then.

The outboard that came with the boat was in need of a rebuild so we replaced it with a rebuilt Evinrude 65 HP Triumph Model 65373. The engine was running fine during its last use just before we moved. It was winterized when put in storage but I can't guarantee its status now.

The boat sits on an excellent stainless-steel trailer (Holsclaw Model C-900) that is in excellent condition.

8F575087-9831-4364-BB03-59CA0E28A9BC.jpeg
8F575087-9831-4364-BB03-59CA0E28A9BC.jpeg (52.86 KiB) Viewed 4075 times


186555D4-58DF-470A-8F70-41417616A932.jpeg
186555D4-58DF-470A-8F70-41417616A932.jpeg (28.3 KiB) Viewed 4075 times


024B4803-658C-4E47-ACDD-71779A488415.jpeg
024B4803-658C-4E47-ACDD-71779A488415.jpeg (28.09 KiB) Viewed 4075 times


I am not a boat expert by any definition. This boat is gthe only boat I’ve ever owned. My intent was to refurbish the boat for sale once I got back to Colorado. Unfortunately, renovations on my home here have taken priority so there remains some work to be done on the Whaler:
    —all of the wood needs to be refinished
    —the two bucket seats need to be reupholster or replaced
    —there is a cutout in lower right portion of the console that needs to be addressed

To my knowledge, the configuration of the boat is pretty much the same as when it was first purchased:
    —bow and side railings
    —reversible pilot seat
    —Morse Model MT-2 Marine Controls (newer set of Morse control cables)
    —canvas wind screen
    —bucket seats

Re: Appraisal: 1973 Katama 16

Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 7:43 pm
by Phil T
While an excellent example of a Katama 16, the market value of the boat is not very high.

I would suggest a sale price of $4,000 to $5,000.

Your target buyer will be a Whaler enthusiast who wants to restore (not renovate) the boat to its original glory.

Be wary, you will get swamped with low ball offers. Be firm in your for-sale listing.

This is the worst time of the year to list a boat for sale. Wait until April.

Re: Appraisal: 1973 Katama 16

Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 12:45 pm
by jimh
I think the trailer must be galvanized steel. I have not heard of a stainless steel trailer frame.

Re: Appraisal: 1973 Katama 16

Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 5:14 pm
by rchasm
Phil - Thank you for the quick response. Since I currently don't have the time or space, a Whaler enthusiast interested in restoring the boat is the exactly the kind of buyer I am looking for. I loved owning and using the boat so knowing it will be restored would alleviate some of my regret for not having restored it myself.

I probably will take your advice and wait until spring to put it up sale.

Re: Appraisal: 1973 Katama 16

Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 5:20 pm
by rchasm
jimh - You are probably right. My information came from the individual who sold me the boat. I think he was sincere but mistaken. When I put the boat up for sale, I will make that correction.

Re: Appraisal: 1973 Katama 16

Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:26 pm
by rchasm
Oops, just came across some additional information provided to me by the person I bought the boat and trailer from. The trailer is in fact stainless steel. Manufactured by a company called Stainless Marine Products, Inc.