Page 1 of 1

FS: 1975 Montauk 17 in Michigan for $10,000

Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:17 am
by spetz
For-sale: a 1975 MONTAUK 17 in Michigan for $10,000.
Contact: john.spetz@hotmail.com

1975 Boston Whaler Montauk.JPG
1975 Boston Whaler Montauk
1975 Boston Whaler Montauk.JPG (254.49 KiB) Viewed 17119 times


1975 Montauk 17
1991 90hp Yamaha
Original gel coat
Never bottom painted
Never seen saltwater
Custom cover
Original tan bimini suntop/flytop (1 broken pole). Don't know if I'm using the correct terms but it goes all the way from overhead to the bow and has plastic windows.
Original casting platform (uninstalled)
Refinished wood
Replaced steering
Rebuilt tilt/trim
New seat cushion in about 2010 (I have original in fair condition)
Little Dude trailer (rusty but strong) has short tilt tongue to fit in garage, and center rollers. Trailers' lights, wires, tires, jack and bearings replaced in 2007.
27 gallon tank 1991
Compass 1991
Fish finder 1990s
VHF radio, whip and loran from 1975 in the basement somewhere. I didn't try the VHF.
Anchor
Skies
After market cooler seat. It did not come with a cooler seat due to the casting platform.
Everything else goes with it.
The work was professionally done in the 1990s.

It is in Washington Michigan about 30 miles north of Detroit.

I haven't used it much either, it hasn't been used for the past 10 years.

CIMG8135.JPG
CIMG8135.JPG (235.13 KiB) Viewed 17119 times


CIMG8256.JPG
CIMG8256.JPG (234.64 KiB) Viewed 17119 times

Re: FS: 1975 Montauk 17 in Michigan for $10,000

Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2024 9:45 am
by atc70r
[Contact the seller using the method the seller specified for contact.]

Re: FS: 1975 Montauk 17 in Michigan for $10,000

Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2024 9:24 pm
by spetz
Sale pending

Re: FS: 1975 Montauk 17 in Michigan for $10,000

Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2025 8:03 pm
by spetz
Sold for $4000

Re: FS: 1975 Montauk 17 in Michigan for $10,000

Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2025 10:44 am
by Jefecinco
Your boat was listed for about 18 months. It was very well equipped and appeared to be in excellent condition. It sold for a price one would expect an older Sport 13 to sell for.

Do you have an opinion about the reason it took so long to sell the boat and at such a low price?

Re: FS: 1975 Montauk 17 in Michigan for $10,000

Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2025 3:24 pm
by spetz
Jefecinco wrote:Your boat was listed for about 18 months. It was very well equipped and appeared to be in excellent condition. It sold for a price one would expect an older Sport 13 to sell for.

Do you have an opinion about the reason it took so long to sell the boat and at such a low price?


Wasn't getting any responses. One guy responded just to say he didn't want it because of the rusty trailer. The only other response came over five months later, requesting additional pictures, at which time I discovered blisters on the bottom towards the stern, so I accepted his $4,000 offer. He kept putting off coming down from Maine to pick it up for 10 months. Maybe it would have helped if I was aware of the blistering and had it bottom painted before listing, but I was trying to keep it original. No matter how you look at it, the guy got a steal.
I guess my answers to you are; few responses, my failure to fix it up before selling, and the buyer delaying picking it up.