Page 1 of 1

APPRAISAL: 1972 EASTPORT 16

Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2025 5:43 pm
by Agent Clovis
[Give me an appraisal for an appropriate asking price for the 1972 EASTPORT 16 boat described below and seen in Figures 1 and 2.]

HudgensWhaler1.jpeg
Fig. 1.
HudgensWhaler1.jpeg (157.27 KiB) Viewed 4943 times


HudgensWhaler2.jpeg
Fig. 2.
HudgensWhaler2.jpeg (119.49 KiB) Viewed 4943 times



This boat was stored in a garage for 30 years. I obtained it a few years ago and began to lovingly restore it. All the mahogany was redone with at least eight coats of Epifanres high gloss clear varnish.

I made the high bid for a brand new 1970’s Morse control with bright red ball, found still in the box in the inventory of a closed marine supply store.

All new window trim, new rub rail, new red throttle cable, new steering system.

I kept the Eastport looking as original as possible with original Ritchie red compass, stern light, and battery box. I did not reinstall the original spotlight and gasket (but they are included).

Included in the sale will be:
  • an antique oar
  • fire extinguisher
  • flare gun
  • four life vests
  • anchor with chain
  • everything required to be legal on the water
  • a solid starboard ladder
  • in-dash depth finder
  • four seat cushions
  • two throw cushions, and
  • an aftermarket quick-release blue Bimini top.


Also included are the tilt trailer with spare tire, original Johnson 65-HP outboard engine that has been restored with a new seal, a new fuel pump, and a new water impeller, and the original 1972 manual.

I don’t have the energy I used to, and I’ve just been looking at it under the carport for the last three years. With great sadness, I’m letting someone take it to sell at the Sunnyland Antique Boat Festival in Tavares, Florida next week.

Re: APPRAISAL: 1972 EASTPORT 16

Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2025 10:02 am
by jimh
I did not see this post when it initially went up. At that time the website was experiencing a denial of service attack, and access to the forum was often impossible. I did not see this post until just now, more than two weeks later.

Q1: did the boat sell at the antique boat festival?

Q2: what was the asking price?

The boat looks very authentic, and offering it to an audience of antique boat enthusiasts should have brought the best possible offers. I hope your work was repaid with a decent selling price.

Re: APPRAISAL: 1972 EASTPORT 16

Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2025 11:02 am
by Agent Clovis
I ended up going myself to the Sunnyland Antique and Classic Boat Festival in Tavares Florida. Many thousands of people were there. The huge festival displayed many dozens of antique, mostly wooden boats and also included an antique car show and more than 20 amphibious cars, with almost 30 antique boats for sale. I was told none of the boats sold. I left my Eastport on consignment with Gary Scherb, the person who has for decades overseen the festival’s boat sale area called the “Field of Dreams”. He said he will list it next week on a couple of national sales forums, along with dozens of more detailed photos. I think the asking price will be only around $15,000. Gary Scherb owns the Old Time Boat Company, Inc. in Tavares, FL (352) 742-0475 and (352) 267-3632.