Hard Polyurethane Self-centering Keel Rollers; Gel Coat Damage

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
otter

Hard Polyurethane Self-centering Keel Rollers; Gel Coat Damage

Postby otter » Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:28 pm

I will be changing the black rubber keel rollers on 1998 EZ-loader trailer to yellow-orange hard polyurethane rollers.

Q1: Are the self-centering type keel rollers useful?

Q2: can hard polyurethane keel rollers damage gel coat surfaces?

--Otter

Vance's Revenge

Re: Hard Polyurethane Self-centering Keel Rollers; Gel Coat Damage

Postby Vance's Revenge » Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:49 pm

I have used the self-centering rollers, and they do work well. But, they aren't as strong as non-centering and can crack on larger boats.

Most brands are junk for anything other than very light boats; through trial and error I found that the Stoltz brand rollers hold up the best.

Don't try to use roller shaft lock caps. You need to use cotter keys and washers.

At the time this was the best place to purchase them:

https://www.sturdybuiltonline.com/12-inch-Self-Centering-Stoltz-Roller-for-Boat-Keel-Support_p_202.html

jimh

Re: Hard Polyurethane Self-centering Keel Rollers; Gel Coat Damage

Postby jimh » Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:46 pm

I also replaced all the black rubber keel rollers that were on my 1992 E-Z-LOADER trailer probably more than ten years ago, perhaps c. 2012. At that time, the rubber rollers were 20-years-old and they were hard as rocks.

I have not used the self-centering keel rollers, but I have never had a problem with the boat not ending up centered on the rollers. The rollers have a small slightly recessed flat spot in the center, and the boat always ends up there. Those odd rollers that have a worm screw thread molded into them are not particularly necessary in my experience.

I have never seen any evidence of damage to the hull gel coat from the use of the yellow polyurethane keel rollers. Stoltz was the brand I bought, and at that time there were not many imitator brands available.

Now at least ten years later all the Stoltz rollers are still in fine condition. I see no wear on them and no need to replace them. The boat is sitting on the trailer about 99-percent of the time. Also, the trailer is only very occasionally dunked in saltwater, maybe once or twice in the past ten years. If the trailer does get into saltwater, I rinse it thoroughly.

I also replaced the bow stem stop rollers with yellow polyurethane rollers. I did that later, and I probably just bought whatever brand my local most-favored boat dealer (Lockeman's Boat and Hardware in Detroit) had on the shelf.

The steel axles on my rollers were pre-drilled at the ends for cotter pins. If you want to use cotter pins you should order the axles pre-drilled. It would be rather messy to drill them on site after you get axles without the ends drilled. Those hammer-on end caps can be awkward to install or to remove. I do use the end caps on one roller at the bow because that roller has the flanking rollers outside of the bracket tangs which protect the bow stem from any contact with the steel axle.