1984 OUTRAGE V-20: Replacement Fuel Tank Source

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Rowley

1984 OUTRAGE V-20: Replacement Fuel Tank Source

Postby Rowley » Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:19 pm

Q1: are the 63-gallon fuel tanks in the OUTRAGE 18 and the OUTRAGE V-20 the same dimensions?

My 1984 Outrage V-20 needs a new 63-gallon fuel tank. The boat is currently in Texas. I live in Montana. so I'm unable to get any actual tank measurements.

I have been in contact with Florida Marine Tanks (FMT). and I have their print for a 63 gallon aluminum tank. Their drawing states that the tank is for a OUTRAGE 18 with a capacity of 63=gallons. FMT does not have a print that specifically references an Outrage 20.

After reading the specification write ups on the Outrage 20, it sounds like the aft portion of the boat is the same as the Outrage 18 from the center console aft. I don't want to place the order until I'm sure the Outrage 18 tank will work.

--Kent

jimh

Re: 1984 OUTRAGE V-20: Replacement Fuel Tank Source

Postby jimh » Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:13 pm

Rowley wrote:After reading the specification write-up's on the Outrage V-20, it sounds like the aft portion of the [OUTRAGE V-20] boat is the same as the OUTRAGE 18 from the center console aft.
I am not aware of this alleged similarity. Perhaps you can give a link to the resource which gave you this opinion.

It might very well be that the same 63-gallon fuel tank was used in both the OUTRAGE 18 and the OUTRAGE V-20.

A very unique and easily identified feature of the fuel tank for an OUTRAGE V-20 is the Port-Starboard asymmetry of the fuel tank cavity shape. You can see this in Figure 1 below:

Fig. 1. View of the deck with the fuel tank cover removed for an OUTRAGE V-20. Note the asymmetry of the fuel tank cavity shape.

If the OUTRAGE 18 fuel tank cavity has a similarly asymmetrical shape, then I would expect the same tank was probably used. But I wouldn't place a pre-paid order for an OUTRAGE 18 tank and just hope it fit an OUTRAGE V-20.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:54 pm

Use the existing tank as a template. Most fabricators prefer this method.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

Rowley

Postby Rowley » Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:43 pm

Thanks for the quick replies.

It looks to me like [a replacement fuel tank made according to drawing for a 63-gallon fuel tank from FMT for a Boston Whaler OUTRAGE 18 fuel tank] is going to work [as a replacement tank for the OUTRAGE V-20].

The [mechanical drawing ] I have from Florida Marine Tanks [marked as being for a 63-gallon fuel tank for an OUTRAGE 18 shows] the same asymmetrical shape [for the OUTRAGE 18 63-gallon fuel tank] as [seen in Figure 1, above on the hull of an OUTRAGE V-20].

The comment [I made reference to] regarding the aft layout of the Outrage V20 was found on Continuous Wave, [in the REFERENCE article on the OUTRAGE V-20] in [the paragraph under the heading] "Cockpit."

I'm having Choates Boats in La Porte, Texas, do the actual work [of installing] the [replacement] fuel tank. Choates Boats have done [work on] several Outrage 18 fuel tanks that have the asymmetrical design, and they have the original FMT [drawings], but they do NOT have a drawing for the Outrage V-20.

My plan is to have [a replacement 63-gallon fuel tank made by FMT] and shipped to Choates boats, and I will take my boat to them in January 2023. My driving time to reach La Porte, Texas is about six hours.

I do not trust any other vendor to do the installation of a fuel tank replacement. I have had some minor work done by others with terrible results.

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:00 am

Rowley wrote:After reading the specification write ups on the Outrage 20, it sounds like the aft portion of the boat is the same as the Outrage 18 from the center console aft.

Rowley wrote:The comment [I made reference to] regarding the aft layout of the Outrage V20 was found on Continuous Wave, [in the REFERENCE article on the OUTRAGE V-20] in [the paragraphs under the heading] "Cockpit."

The REFERENCE section article on the OUTRAGE V-20 is found at

https://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/V20Outrage/

There is no mention in the OUTRAGE V-20 article of the fuel tank capacity or shape of the fuel tank as being similar to the OUTRAGE 18. The only comment in the paragraphs under the sub-heading "Cockpit" is that the general size of the aft cockpit area on the OURAGE V-20 is about the same size as the OUTRAGE 18, and that the size of the forward cockpit or foredeck area in the V-20 is where more space was added in the design of that hull.

I would not cite the V-20 reference article as being a source for establishing that the 63-gallon fuel tank in the OUTRAGE 18 would fit in the OUTRAGE V-20. If you purchase the FMT 63-gallon fuel tank based on their drawing for an OUTRAGE 18 and you discover that it fits correctly in the OUTRAGE V-20, please let me know with a follow-up. I would then be pleased to mention that similarity in the REFERENCE article on the V-20 for future readers to become aware of that useful information.