1986 Montauk Rub Rail Length

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
JohnW

1986 Montauk Rub Rail Length

Postby JohnW » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:02 pm

EDIT: PROBLEM SOLVED: Installer's tape measure had a few inches broken off and he had forgotten.

My 1986 Boston Whaler Montauk is in the shop having some repairs done, including the replacement of the three piece rub rail. Some confusion has developed regarding how long the receiver track should be. The receiver track shipped from Boston Whaler is 37 feet long. My installer claims that he has measured the path the receiver track runs on the boat three times, and is coming up with a length of 38 feet 2 inches. I know that he is measuring from the correct start and finish points. So, what gives? Is there a Boston Whaler hull from the mid 1980s that looks like a Montauk but is ever so slightly larger? Does the BW factory label the receiver track as 37 feet but in actuality cut it longer? Is my guy's tape measure off or sagging?

A rough calculation of 2x length + beam would equal 39'6". Obviously, that doesn't take into account the fact that the boat is not a perfect rectangle, but the guy who is doing the work has hand-built cold molded sport fishers. I think he can be reasonably trusted with a tape measure and if he says he needs 38 ft 2 inches, I'm inclined to believe him. I'm stumped.