Swim Ladder Installation on Sport 150
Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2026 12:23 pm
Q1; what is the proper way to securely attach a boarding ladder on the Port side of the transom of a 2003 SPORT 15, where through-bolting and backing plates cannot be used due to the molded-in seat in the cockpit at that location (as seen in Figure 3 below)?
BACKSTORY
In c.2023 I purchased a 2003 SPORT 150. In 2025 I added a boarding ladder, which I mounted on the Port side of the transom using four #12 two-inch stainless steel screws, threading the screw fasteners though the hull laminate and into the foam. There was no way to use through-bolting and backing plates on the Port side of the transom because the cockpit has a molded-in seat at that location
I wasn't completely comfortable mounting the ladder this way, but I saw no other options. Of course, the obvious happened - the top screws are starting to pull out.
I'll do the re-work this in Fall 2025, and get ready for next season.
Thanks for any helpful suggestions.
BACKSTORY
In c.2023 I purchased a 2003 SPORT 150. In 2025 I added a boarding ladder, which I mounted on the Port side of the transom using four #12 two-inch stainless steel screws, threading the screw fasteners though the hull laminate and into the foam. There was no way to use through-bolting and backing plates on the Port side of the transom because the cockpit has a molded-in seat at that location
I wasn't completely comfortable mounting the ladder this way, but I saw no other options. Of course, the obvious happened - the top screws are starting to pull out.
I'll do the re-work this in Fall 2025, and get ready for next season.
Thanks for any helpful suggestions.