Page 1 of 1

Attaching Temporary "Transom Board" for 1987 Outrage 22

Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2026 7:43 am
by dsullivan
Q1: What can I use to temporarily attach PVC board (baseboard from Home Depot) to the top of the transom of a 1987 Outrage 22 notched transom to prevent water from coming over the back that will be easily removable when I am ready to come up with a more permanent solution?

Q2: Would 3M Dual Lock SJ3560 (Clear, Type 250) work for what I need to do? Or is there something else I should use, like C Clamps? I'm not looking to drill into the hull for the temporary fix.

Context
This is a temporary solution to use for up to a year or so (at least for the remainder of this season), so I need something that will not damage the gelcoat and that will be easy to remove. The water coming over the transom is moreso caused when the stern of the boat comes down when rocking in waves at anchor or drifting as opposed to a wave coming over the top. Even smallish boat wake waves will do this depending on the angle. So for the most part, there is not a huge amount of pressure that would be put on the board. In my old 1989 Outrage 18 notched transom where I am, it was very rare a wave would actually crash over the top into the splash well.

Re: Attaching Temporary "Transom Board" for 1987 Outrage 22

Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2026 9:04 am
by jimh
dsullivan wrote:Q2: Would 3M Dual Lock SJ3560 (Clear, Type 250) work for what I need to do?
The product mentioned looks like a form of Velcro. It probably will work, but it is a bit expensive for a temporary fix.

A handy and quick solution to temporary mounting of anything is high-strength duct tape.

ASIDE
Many years ago at a rental cottage there was a small aluminum boat that was included in the rental. The hull had several leaks in the bottom. I flipped the boat over on the beach, let it dry out, and applied duct tape to seal all the leaks. The next year we were again at this rental cottage, the boat was still there, and the duct tape on the bottom was still in place, preventing leaks.

Re: Attaching Temporary "Transom Board" for 1987 Outrage 22

Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2026 8:55 pm
by dsullivan
jimh wrote:
dsullivan wrote:Q2: Would 3M Dual Lock SJ3560 (Clear, Type 250) work for what I need to do?
The product mentioned looks like a form of Velcro. It probably will work, but it is a bit expensive for a temporary fix.

A handy and quick solution to temporary mounting of anything is high-strength duct tape.

ASIDE
Many years ago at a rental cottage there was a small aluminum boat that was included in the rental. The hull had several leaks in the bottom. I flipped the boat over on the beach, let it dry out, and applied duct tape to seal all the leaks. The next year we were again at this rental cottage, the boat was still there, and the duct tape on the bottom was still in place, preventing leaks.



Yea, my initial thought was velcro or 4200 marine adhesive to attach the PVC board to the transom, which I had asked "google AI" which said that velcro would come lose from heat & UV from the sun and cause problems with the glue on the gelcoat when trying to remove. similar with the 4200 (not that the 4200 would come lose, but that it would be a problem with removing from the gelcoat and might cause problems there) instead it recommended the 3M dual lock stuff, saying it would be easy to remove without damage to the gelcoat, but I wanted to get real opinions on that. From what I'm seeing, it would only cost $20 or so.

My thought is I would run a strip on the top of the transom and a strip on the bottom of the PVC board, which is only maybe 1/2" thick or so, to attach the board to the transom. with duct tape wouldn't it require "wrapping" over the top of the PVC board and around both the inside and outside of the transom? would that hold it in place especially that the board is thinner than the transom?