Source for Baystar or Seastar Tube Nuts and Olives

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
pcrussell50

Source for Baystar or Seastar Tube Nuts and Olives

Postby pcrussell50 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:20 pm

This past spring, mice got to the rigging tunnel of my 1998 Montauk and chewed through some wires and one of the hoses for the Baystar steering system, bleeding it out. I ordered some new hoses back then and am just now getting around to trimming them and attaching them to the back of the helm. They came with one nut and one "olive" for each hose. Ever cautious, I wanted to order another couple of nuts and olives, just in case I mess up something during the installation. But for the life of me, I cannot seem to Google any place that sells them. I've tried many different search strings, and nothing.

Any suggestions besides trying to call their 800 number?

Also, on a related note, what tool do you all use to trim the hose? I have many different options available to me, but if there is a known-good way, I'd just as soon cut to the chase.

-Peter

Jefecinco

Re: Where to buy Baystar/Seastar tube nuts and "olives"?

Postby Jefecinco » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:36 pm

I would think Seastar would be the place to first check the availability of any parts. For cutting the hoses a small tubing cutter may work. I've never cut hydraulic tubing and don't really know how it is made. Years ago when fabricating and replacing hoses for the hydraulics used on heavy construction equipment we used hacksaws with miter boxes. Those high volume high pressure hoses were very stiff and did not easily deform under cutting pressure.
Butch

pcrussell50

Re: Where to buy Baystar/Seastar tube nuts and "olives"?

Postby pcrussell50 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:46 pm

Their web site has nothing of the sort. I guess I'll have to call them.

-Peter

russellbailey

Re: Source for Baystar or Seastar Tube Nuts and Olives

Postby russellbailey » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:29 am

This company can provide whatever you are looking for.

http://www.boatsteeringrebuilders.com/

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:04 am

Peter,

That's a great link. Too bad they don't seem to handle Ultraflex (Uflex) hydraulic cylinders used on the L4 series of Verados. A lot of Boston Whaler owners with Verado L4s use the Uflex hydraulic steering system.

When I've completed the repair of my Uflex cylinder I'll be following up with a post containing all the necessary information to make the repair.
Butch

pcrussell50

Postby pcrussell50 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:51 pm

russellbailey wrote:This company can provide whatever you are looking for.

http://www.boatsteeringrebuilders.com/

I emailed them yesterday... Have not heard back. Should I try calling?

-Peter

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:20 pm

I believe the telephone is a more effective way to get information. Sort of a "you can't ignore me" kind of thing.
Butch