OEM Leaning Post for 1989 Outrage 18

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Spinnaker

OEM Leaning Post for 1989 Outrage 18

Postby Spinnaker » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:49 am

Good morning. I recently acquired a nice 1989 Outrage 18 with the factory original leaning post. The leaning post basically consists of three parts: (1) the aluminum frame; (2) the top, which is bolted to the frame and in which the rod holders and a railing are mounted; and (3) the cushion, which is screwed into the top piece. The "top piece," for lack of a better way to describe it, appears to be constructed much like those portions of the hull where marine plywood is covered with fiberglass then gelcoat.

Unfortunately, the imbedded wood in the top piece is badly rotted, to the point where the underside (which also appears to be glassed) is soft to the touch. In fact, while running home to beat a thunderstorm last night in a moderate chop, I heard a scream behind me, turned around, and discovered that my girlfriend had ripped one end of the railing right through the top piece, bolt, washer and all.

The top piece is too badly rotten throughout to save the thing. But I have two thoughts about how to go about making repairs. First, try to find one for sale. The problem is, OEM leaning posts of this vintage seem tough to come by and I really only need that top piece, not the whole leaning post assembly. Second, build a new one out of some nice thick teak using the dimensions of the old one as a template.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Also, anyone have any suggestions as to where I can find the backrest that mounts into the rod holders? Many thanks.
Attachments
IMG_3598.JPG
IMG_3598.JPG (26.01 KiB) Viewed 3955 times
IMG_3597.JPG
IMG_3597.JPG (27.21 KiB) Viewed 3955 times

Phil T

Re: OEM Leaning Post for 1989 Outrage 18

Postby Phil T » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:22 pm

build a new one out of some nice thick teak using the dimensions of the old one as a template

You answered your own question.

Backrest:

Ask Anderson's to make you a matching cushion. Email Tena @ amui.tena.gmail.com
http://www.amfg.us

Then purchase arms from Birdsall Marine for a backrest.
http://www.marineproducts.net/leaning-post-folding-back-rest-10-15-degree/
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

Spinnaker

Postby Spinnaker » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:34 pm

Thanks Phil, once again. I think the teak would be a nice touch. Especially after I replace the console dash panels with more teak.

Acseatsri

Postby Acseatsri » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:11 pm

When I rebuilt mine, I just chiseled out the old wood, cut a new piece of plywood, and then reglassed it in place. Pretty easy and a lot cheaper and easier than replacing it with teak. Also added some cup holders at the same time. Keep in mind that teak requires a lot of maintenance to keep it looking good and clean. I don't miss it at all on my 22 Outrage.

Wweez

Postby Wweez » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:46 am

Zip the bottom out, (dremel, grinder, etc.) remove the rotten core, glass in new core, plywood or glass core, and replace bottom piece.
Or take it to your favorite glass shop and get them to so it.
Are the posts solid?
Less wood more fishin.

Then go fishin.