Securing stern deck to hull

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
geauxdeep

Securing stern deck to hull

Postby geauxdeep » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:54 pm

i have a 17 Striper, 1985 with a homemade wooden stern deck. it sits on a lip on the hull just below the gunwale. i need to attach it to the lip to hold it down. i've tried using threaded inserts, with six10 epoxy, into the hull and putting a screw through the deck into insert, but the inserts didn't hold.

i was thinking an L bolt with it protruding through the wood and just put a lock nut on it. or an anchor bold. any other ideas? rough outline below (w is for water, h is for hull and to make my lines line up)

___
\hh\______________
w\hh\_____________ deck
ww\hhhh\
www\hhhh\
wwww\hhhh\
wwwww

Phil T

Re: Securing stern deck to hull

Postby Phil T » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:12 pm

Add a wood or composite cleat to the sidewall and then screw the platform into the cleat.

To provide extra grip to the cleat screws, use the "hockey puck" method.

For each cleat screw, drill a hole in the sidewall, use a small allen wrench and route out a little foam in each hole.

Tape off around it then squeeze in Gorilla glue. It will expand and form a hard epoxy "puck" that is bonded to the fiberglass.
Drill and tap cleat screws into the pucks.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

geauxdeep

Re: Securing stern deck to hull

Postby geauxdeep » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:02 pm

so like this...

\hh\_____S_________
w\hh\____S_________ deck
ww\hhhh\ CC
www\hhhh\CC
wwww\hhhh\
wwwww

Where the C is a cleat and the S is screw. I was thinking you were talking of a tying cleat, but I assume you mean like a block of wood?