Thoughts on a Montauk 170 inspired restomod

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Albert Jr.

Thoughts on a Montauk 170 inspired restomod

Postby Albert Jr. » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:44 pm

I sold my Boston Whaler 13 a few weeks back with the idea to start work on a Whaler 16. In my opinion, the Whaler 16 seems like the perfect choice because there is so much potential for custom fiberglass work. I also find it to be a good fishing boat and that it rides very well.

I really like the forward deck of the newer Montauk models and I'd like to incorporate that into my project. I've seen the same shape on older Wahoo! boats and I do very much like the way it looks. I also want to put in an aluminium gas tank in the bottom of the boat to gain more storage space (Maybe flatten the deck for that one). Live-wells are also something I'd like to install but in the rear. (The way bay boats have them.} I do have more ideas and they might not be as favorable but this is where I'm at right now.

If anyone has interest in sharing their thoughts, please feel free to reply, however you'd like.

Jefecinco

Re: Thoughts on a Montauk 170 inspired restomod

Postby Jefecinco » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:37 am

I know nothing about the 16s other than the Dauntless 16 so I can't comment on its suitability for the modifications you listed.

I agree that the Montauk is an exceptional design for fishing from the bow. Converting a 16 bow to a Montauk style bow and getting it right would be a challenging task. The Montauk is an excellent fishing boat. Would it not be better to simply start with a Montauk and incorporate the other modifications you want into it?
Butch

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:09 am

If you like the flat deck, there was a wooden forward casting platform option for some 16' hulls (e.g., Sakonnet). It can be reproduced using drawings available on the web. The original was painted pine but one could use teak.

iu.jpg
iu.jpg (71 KiB) Viewed 4609 times

It was also offered on early Montauks in fiberglass but the size is not transferable to the 16' hull.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

Albert Jr.

Postby Albert Jr. » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:21 pm

I know a project like the one I have in mind is challenging, but that's kinda why I like the idea.

I know some Whaler 16's had the flat deck but it's not really what I'm looking for. I've posted a picture of a Wahoo 17 or 18.5 that shows what' i'd like to do. I think [Boston Whaler] used this design for the Montauk 170.
Attachments
wahoo.jpg
wahoo.jpg (22.54 KiB) Viewed 4597 times

Albert Jr.

Postby Albert Jr. » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:25 pm

ASIDE: I do realize that I can just as well buy an 1980's era Montauk. My father had one and we enjoyed it for almost a decade. However, i've ridden all three generations of the Montauk model and I still believe the first generation model rides better. This is just my personal opinion.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:39 pm

I believe it's much more likely Wahoo used the Montauk design for its copy than that Boston Whaler copied a Wahoo design.
Butch