170 MONTAUK Replacement of Shift-Throttle Cables

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
swist

170 MONTAUK Replacement of Shift-Throttle Cables

Postby swist » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:39 am

A 2004 170 MONTAUK boat has a two-year-old engine and a two-week-old console control. Last thing to replace is the cables. It looks straightforward: I assume you use the old cables as pullers for the new cables through the tunnel. Connection at the control end I already know how to do, and the connection at the motor end, while more complicated, is well-detailed in the shop manual. I've done a lot of work myself on the boat and it seems likely to be very do-able and a lot cheaper than the three-hours-labor the mechanic wants.

Are there any pitfalls in this job? Could I find that 13-year-old cables won't pull for some reason or another?

jimh

Re: 170 MONTAUK Replacement of Shift-Throttle Cables

Postby jimh » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:07 pm

I would expect the existing mechanical cables for the shift-throttle controls should pull out of the rigging tunnel with ease. The only thing that could impede them: if an installer used nylon ties to bind the mechanical cables to other cables in the rigging tunnel. It is a good practice to NEVER bind together a bunch of cables going into a conduit, as you never know when you might have to pull one of them out for replacement, and I would expect that Boston Whaler followed that practice.

Also, if there is not already in place a pull wire in the rigging tunnel, you should pull in a pull wire as you pull the new mechanical control cables into the tunnel. You can use some small diameter rope that can lay in the rigging tunnel and not be likely to rot away if it gets wet. I usually make the pull wire twice as long as the tunnel length, so you can pull something new in and not pull out all of the pull wire.

When you pull in new cables, lay out the cables so they are not likely to twist and twine around each other as you pull them. Cables that become entwined when pulled into a conduit become much harder to separately remove later if needed. A little cable lubricant can help when pulling them in. Typically just use some soapy water. There actually is a product known as wire pulling lubricant. It dries to a harmless dust that is not conductive, and it is used in electrical work to help pull electrical cables into long runs inside conduits. But I suspect the diameter of the rigging tunnel is large compared to the diameter of the control cables, and they should go in and come out smoothly.

swist

Postby swist » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:32 pm

Thank you. All good hints. However, I take it you do not recommend using the old cables to pull the new cables through. That seems the most straightforward, but perhaps I have not thought it through.

Indeed the existing pull rope does not appear to be something I would trust to put any great load on. but it is probably good enough to pull through a new pull wire of greater strength.

swist

Postby swist » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:09 pm

Yes, I didn't think it through. Only the small end of each cable (the end that ultimately attaches to the console) will fit through the grommet on the engine cowl. And I would guess the other end, which has a more complex connector and alignment pin, would be much more difficult to pull through the tunnel as well.

Thus when pulling the old cables out, you have to start by pulling the cable out of the tunnel toward the back of the boat, then from inside the engine completely remove it. And the new cable is installed by passing its console end through the engine grommet from inside the engine to the outside, then you can pull it through the tunnel to the console.

So to summarize, only the smnall (console) end of the cable fits through the tunnel, and clearly you need to use a pull wire. Hooking the new cable to the old won't work.

Now I think I've thought it through, I think

Wweez

Postby Wweez » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:10 am

Not necessary, but sort of nice to have a little help. Someone who will help, go slow and do what you want.
" Not an impatient gorilla."
Streamline the pulled end as well as you can to prevent hang ups. Tape is cheap even if a pain.
When pulling cables, they may hang up. Easing them back and forth may help to release the stoppage.
A firm tug, or even jerk may also release the hang up.
The same or slightly more forceful tug or jerk may damage the cable or something else in the tunnel.
Getting angry or impatient will most likely cost you $$$$$.
You are allowed some whining during the process.

Using lube always makes for a better situation.
Please let us know how it goes, and in particular if BW bundled the cables and wires with ties before installing. I doubt it, but?
I have a 2005 and would appreciate the information.

Good Luck.

swist

Postby swist » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:35 am

Thank you. Good advice, since I am not a patient person.

What is the best stuff to use for lubricant that won't leave a greasy mess?

My other decision is whether to do it now before the stress on the control becomes a problem, or wait until the end of the season. If I do it now, it would have to be done while this [moored] boat is in the water. I can tie it to the dock in a way as to give me pretty good access to the engine, but probably not quite as good as it being on a trailer.

swist

Postby swist » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:15 pm

Just to conclude this thread, I succesfully replaced both shift & throttle cables (while the boat was in the water). Everything you need to deal with in the engine is on the starboard side close to the front so access from the boat instead of standing on the ground was no problem.

As predicted, fishing the new cables through the tunnel was the hardest part (the old cables pulled out easily). It was a mistake to try to do them together, but one at a time with tape and grease to make the pull through the tunnel as easy as possible worked, but not without a bunch of jiggling back and forth to get by obstructions.

The throttle is now so effortless I have to be careful to not throw myself out of the boat when accelerating. Shifting is like it was when the boat was new - imprecise and clunky but you get used to it. New cables, control, and engine didn't fix that obvious design problem (discussed in many other threads).

samueliamuel

Postby samueliamuel » Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:11 am

Hello Swist,

I'm just about to dive into replacing the control cables on my 17' 2004 Montauk. A couple of questions if you please...

What type of line did you pull through when removing the old cables? I was thinking I'd use para-chord?

Any other tips would be appreciated.

Thank you!