Built-in Tackle Cabinet - 210 Montauk

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Rinoue

Built-in Tackle Cabinet - 210 Montauk

Postby Rinoue » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:09 pm

Hello,

As we had a ton of snow in NJ, I started my winter project to install a built-in cabinet in the Reversible Pilot Seat (RPS) on my 210 Montauk.
I purchased the cabinet from Boat Outfitters and started cutting the cutout in my RPS...It was a challenge not to cut any reinforcements to fit it but it worked.
RPS1.JPG
RPS1.JPG (67.93 KiB) Viewed 3632 times

Since the cabinet is quite heavy, I decided to use machine fasteners and drilled 10 holes on the RPS to secure the cabinet (Cabinet is pre-drilled).
RPS3.JPG
RPS3.JPG (56.47 KiB) Viewed 3632 times

Now, I realized that I can't tighten the machine fasteners to hold the cabinet to the RPS from top of the RPS, as the space is so tight ( I need to tighten the fasteners from the bottom of the RPS.. However, I can't tighten the fasteners holding the RPS to the deck with the cabinet attached to the RPS...(I can't reach).
RPS2.JPG
RPS2.JPG (45.78 KiB) Viewed 3632 times

I can't use same size screws to secure the cabinet as I already drilled holes for #8 machine fasteners (screws won't bite)...and I'm a bit concerned that screws may come out even if I use larger screws (I prefer machine screws to mount things).

Now, I am thinking about making 4 backing plates (2 horizontal, 2 vertical....made by King Starboard) and attach them (sandwich the fiberglass RPS with the cabinet and the backing plates), so I can use
1. #8 Screws
2. #8 Machine screws with press in threaded inserts
3. #8 Machine screws with T-nuts

Do you have any recommendation as to type of screws/bolts I should use? By the way, the weight of the cabinet is held by the lip of the cut out and a block made by King Starboard attached at the back of the cabinet. The fasteners are to prevent the cabinet from sliding out of RPS.

Thank you!!

Reo