1987 SUPER SPORT 13: Installing Bow Trolling Motor

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Schuyler84

1987 SUPER SPORT 13: Installing Bow Trolling Motor

Postby Schuyler84 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:09 pm

I would appreciate any additional thoughts that others may have regarding how to install a bow-mounted trolling motor [on a 1987 SUPER SPORT 13], particularly a suggestion which would require no changes to the Super Sport rail.

I would additionally appreciate any thoughts concerning how to install the base of the mount shown below within the [1987 SUPER SPORT 13] rope locker. I had planned to drill a circular hole within the locker’s hatch to accommodate the pole as I had done with the hatch cover of my [SPORT 13]

Fig. 1. A mounting plate to be installed inside the bow locker of a 1987 SUPER SPORT 13.

BACKSTORY: Back in 1986, my wife and I purchased a [1970--always use four-digits to identify a year] SPORT 13 with a [1984] Yamaha 40-HP outboard shown the photo below. This boat served its young owners and eventually our small family as the do-all lake boat until 1996, when we decided that the more spacious interior and more comfortable ride of an sterndrive bowrider better suited our family’s needs. As we didn’t believe that we would need two boats, we sold the Whaler and soon thereafter regretted doing so.

The 13 SPORT boat's small size and shallow draft permitted its use as a fishing platform which only increased in its fishing abilities when I added a bow mounted Minn-Kota Power Drive trolling motor and pedestal seating; the mount was installed within the Whaler’s small rope locker. Fishing from the bow rider was restricted to drifting and anchoring in deeper water and the lack of a trolling motor meant that a relatively small number of fishing spots would be visited on any day.

We’ve been with our second bow rider, actually a deck boat, for the last twenty years. In 2006, I purchased, restored, re-powered, sold, and then re-purchased (this past summer) a [1987] SUPER SPORT 13 shown below.

The challenge that I now find myself with is wanting to rig the 1987 SUPER SPORT 13 with a bow mounted trolling motor and pedestal seat.

However, I fear that the Super Sport rail may prevent me from being able to easily deploy and retrieve the trolling motor.

I had fabricated a trolling motor mount for the Minn-Kota Power Drive trolling motor from 3/4-inch marine plywood, 2 x 6 lumber, and 1/4-inch marine plywood and a simple rotating latch. The mount required no modifications or drilling to the hull and was designed to be installed and removed from the boat without use of fasteners. The mount was installed over the bow navigation lamp. The forward most portion of the mount grabbed onto the underside of the lip to which the rub rail was installed. The bottom surface of the mount then followed the contour of the inner liner below the level of the bow Norman pin. The mount had a slot located slightly lower than the level of the bow Norman pin which would accommodate a notched 1/4-inch plywood retainer plate which would slide beneath the bow Norman pin, prevent the mount from rotating upward, thereby securing it in place.

The rails of my first boat, the SPORT 13, extended slightly forward of the forward bench and as such were not a hinderance. I am currently dabbling with the idea of either replacing the Super Sport single rail with Sport rails shown below.

A co-worker had also suggested that I instead consider modifying the center bow section of the rail such that it could be removed when fishing and then replaced when using the boat for other purposes. Fast pins could be used to permit quick removal and replacement of the center section of the rail.

Also the rope locker of the [1987] SUPER SPORT 13 is much larger than that of the [1970 SPORT 13].
Last edited by Schuyler84 on Sun Aug 22, 2021 5:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Jefecinco

Re: 1987 SUPER SPORT 13: Installing Bow Trolling Motor

Postby Jefecinco » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:40 am

Have you considered installing a thru bolted seat mount on the bulkhead aft of the anchor locker? That would allow an angler the full use of the anchor locker cover for standing, tackle, etc. as well as providing a comfortable resting area for feet while sitting. The current OEM hardware for using a forward anglers seat would possibly fit on your 1987 Super Sport 13.
Butch

Schuyler84

Postby Schuyler84 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:23 am

Butch--Thanks for the suggestion. I hadn't considered that option and will look into the angler's seat option accessory for the current 13-footers.

To the rest--Keep the suggestions coming for not only the angler's seat, but also for the bow mounting a trolling motor.

biggiefl

Postby biggiefl » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:18 am

They made a seat bracket that bolts to the bulkhead in front of the hatch. It was usually on the striper 15 & 17 hulls but might fit a 13. Have somebody here measure theirs and send you a pic. I also have a table base on my SeaRay that bolts the same way, it could possibly do the same thing with a seat on a pole. My only question is how strong would it be?
On my 24th Whaler. Currently in the stable: 86 18' Outrage, 81 13' Sport(original owner), 87 11' Sport, 69 Squall(for sale cheap).

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:01 pm

In going through my bookmark library, I finally found the source to make a bow rail hinge so many owners have wanted when installing a bow mounted trolling motor.

http://www.Victory-products.com

7/8 Rail

Hinge - https://victory-products.com/collections/deck-hardware/products/ch3710
Latch parts - use two of these with a release pin.
https://victory-products.com/collections/deck-hardware/products/ch3600

1" Rail

Hinge - https://victory-products.com/collections/deck-hardware/products/ch3711

Latch parts -
https://victory-products.com/collections/deck-hardware/products/ch3596
https://victory-products.com/collections/deck-hardware/products/ch3601
or
https://victory-products.com/collections/deck-hardware/products/ch3591

This is what it looks like:

bowrailhinge.jpg
Photo Credit: David Osborn
bowrailhinge.jpg (130.35 KiB) Viewed 18387 times
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

OldKenT

Postby OldKenT » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:08 pm

A picture says a thousand words, but unfortunately my boat is stored for the winter so no photo is available. So here is the long description, which seems to be similar to the platform used by the OP in some respects:
The underside of the rub rail on a late 1980s 13 foot super sport has a curved recess which will nicely accommodate a 1/2 inch aluminum tube (available from most hardware or big box stores). I used 3 or 4 of them - each just a few inches long - to anchor a platform which sits on the bow forward of the supports for the railing on the super sport, just as shown in the OP's posting. Using a tube avoids having the force of the fastener on a point by spreading the pressure over a larger area.
The platform is constructed of two 1 and 1/4 inch aluminum angles and some marine plywood or other material, and extends from the port to the starboard side of the boat. One of the angles is an L shape rotated 90 degrees to the right such that the top of the angle sits on the bow forward of the combination light and the other leg of the angle sits against the rub rail at the bow. That is basically an upside down L. The other angle is an L shape rotated 90 degrees in the opposite direction, so that the bottom of the angle sits on the bow and the other leg sits against the two vertical supports for the railing on that super sport. That is basically a backwards L. Plywood or some other suitable material is used of a width sufficient to connect those 2 angles, thereby forming a platform. The width of the plywood should be just enough so that the forward angle sits tightly against the rub rail insert at the bow of the boat and the back angle sits tightly against the railing supports.
Anchor the platform securely in five or six locations. First, attach the back angle to the two vertical railing supports using a U-bolt which fits around each of the vertical supports and through two holes you drill in the upright part of the angle. This will ensure that the platform does not move forward or back or from side to side.
You will still need to prevent the platform from lifting, however, as a result of the trolling motor's torque.
At each side of the boat, attach the platform by using a J-bolt (or by cutting most of one leg off a U-bolt to create a J-bolt) with legs long enough that the long leg can reach through a hole in the extended angle, and the short leg can fit into a hole in the 1/2 inch aluminum tube which fits into the recess under the rub rail. At the bow, attach one or two additional J-bolts through the forward angle into one or two pieces of aluminum tube which fit into the recess at the bow. Tighten all nuts securely with lock washers to ensure that the platform can take the stress of the torque from the trolling motor, and will not shift or lift.
Attach a Minn Kota quick-release puck to one side or the other of the platform, depending on whether you want to launch your trolling motor over the port or starboard side.
As should be apparent, this is not what one would call an "elegant" solution. A skilled engineer would fabricate something much nicer looking and more easily attached and removed. But if you want to have an easy to construct and removable bow-mounted trolling motor setup without drilling through the bow, it works. I have been using this setup for years without a problem, and I remove the trolling motor after each use.
Ken
1985 Newport 17
2018 Yamaha F70LA
2017 LoadRite 5S-172200

Schuyler84

Postby Schuyler84 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:53 pm

PHIL--the bow rail hinge information which you had supplied is exactly what I had been seeking. Thank you so much!

Now that the bow rail dilemma has been resolved, the only remaining item is to determine how to securely mount the bow seat mount from the other Boston Whaler boats to the bulkhead face of the bow platform. At the factory, I believe that they had installed an aluminum backing plate to the area before assembling the hull. I don't believe that mounting the aluminum backing plate inside of the rope locker is the correct solution. I was considering use of stainless steel toggle bolts, along with 3M5200 to secure the vertical pedestal mount (not to be confused with the horizontal mount shown wihtin the picture below) to the outside of the vertical bulkhead, but wasn't certain that the toggle bolts would adequately spread the load.

[Seeks advice about mounting method]
Last edited by Schuyler84 on Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:22 pm

I would use 3M4200 but only if you must.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:20 am

Perhaps a metal backing plate on both sides of the bulkhead wall would be able to spread the load on the laminate structure better.

Schuyler84

Postby Schuyler84 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:01 pm

jimh wrote:Perhaps a metal backing plate on both sides of the bulkhead wall would be able to spread the load on the laminate structure better.

Jim--Are you suggesting that the backing plate be installed on the bulkhead inside of the anchor / rope hatch ...

or, that I cut open the bulkhead to place the backing plate directly behind the fiberglass that the bracket will be mounted to and then re-glass?
Last edited by Schuyler84 on Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:05 pm

I suggest two backing plates, both external to the Unibond hull, and one on either side of the bulkhead created by the aft wall of the anchor locker, which would make a sandwich of that bulkhead.

Schuyler84

Postby Schuyler84 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:47 pm

Thanks Jim!

jimh wrote:I suggest two backing plates, both external to the Unibond hull, and one on either side of the bulkhead created by the aft wall of the anchor locker, which would make a sandwich of that bulkhead.

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:40 pm

I would start with some plywood as a test. Also, if the two walls of the bulkhead are not parallel, the through-bolts should be shimmed so they bear onto the plywood with equal area.

Schuyler84

Postby Schuyler84 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:32 pm

The project of installing a bow mounted trolling motor and pedestal fishing seat within my 1987 Boston Whaler Super Sport 13 was completed in the late spring of this year. I used the boat throughout this past summer and the modifications which I have made for fishing have exceeded my expectations.

Part #1: Trolling Motor Mount: The most challenging and time consuming task was to fabricate the removable marine plywood trolling motor mount. As described within my initial post, the mount secures to the lip of the bow, over the bow light, and is held in place by a piece of plywood which slides beneath the boat's norman pin. While I included a provision to remove any lash via a turnbuckle to be attached to the bow eye, the accommodation was found to be unnecessary as the mount had virtually no lash following installation. As part of a modular design approach, a Minn Kota quick release trolling motor mount was installed atop my fabricated mount. As the trolling motor is fairly heavy, this modular approach permits the trolling motor to be mounted after my fabricated mount has been installed. As no fasteners are used to secure the fabricated mount to the hull, this solution leaves no traces when the trolling motor and fabricated mount removed to permit the boat for other applications. Photos of the mount may be found below:
1.jpg
Ready for Installation
1.jpg (51.48 KiB) Viewed 16832 times

2.jpg
Installed
2.jpg (53.84 KiB) Viewed 16832 times

Schuyler84

Postby Schuyler84 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:35 pm

Part #2: Rail Gate: A gate within the center bow section of the boat’s 7/8” stainless steel bow rail was then installed. I deviated from Phil T’s recommendations for bimini fittings used to construct the gate. I found the following to be of higher quality and/or to provide better structural integrity:
• Fluid Concepts 7/8” Locking Stainless Steel Bimini Hinge (part #LRH-875): https://www.fluidconcepts.net/Locking-B ... rh-875.htm
• Victory 7/8” Stainless Steel Rail Fit Top Cap: https://victory-products.com/collection ... cts/ch3600
• Victory 7/8” Stainless Steel Top Swivel Deck Hinge: https://victory-products.com/products/c ... 1120870129. Remove the screw and deck fastening components and then drill out the threads to accommodate a ¼” pin.
• Marine Part Depot ¼” Stainless Bimini Top Pin w/Drop Cam and Spring: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MT ... UTF8&psc=1
I additionally welded the forward-most vertical rail supports to their bases to stiffen the bow rails. I utilize Velcro ties to secure the gate open when the trolling motor is installed.
3.jpg
Gate Closed
3.jpg (49.68 KiB) Viewed 16832 times
4.jpg
Gate Open
4.jpg (68.68 KiB) Viewed 16832 times

Schuyler84

Postby Schuyler84 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:39 pm

Part #3: Pedestal Seat: For the pedestal fishing seat base, I utilized Boston Whaler’s Stainless Steel Forward Pedestal Seat Base Part 1947982. I fabricated a backing plate from ¼” aluminum plate sourced from Online Metals ( https://www.onlinemetals.com/ ). Four stainless steel bolts through a ¼” aluminum backing plate, 2 stainless screws (used in the seat base’s lowest two holes), and 3M 5200 Sealant were used to secure the pedestal seat base to the anchor locker bulkhead. The stainless steel fasteners used to secure the seat base and to fabricate the trolling motor mount were sourced from Bolt Depot ( https://www.boltdepot.com/ ). I found Swivl-Eze’s 13" Fixed Height 3/4" Pin Seat Post rather than an offset post to be best for my application. I can also recommend the Wise’s 3373 AeroX™ Cool-Ride Mesh High Back Boat Seat to be the most comfortable fishing seat which I have ever used.
5.jpg
Seat base
5.jpg (59.42 KiB) Viewed 16830 times

6.jpg
Backing plate
6.jpg (33.96 KiB) Viewed 16830 times

Schuyler84

Postby Schuyler84 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:42 pm

Part #4: Electrical / Electronics: I upgraded the console to include BLUE SEA SYSTEMS–Water-Resistant Circuit Breaker Switch Panel, 4 pos. + 12 Volt Socket & Dual USB Charger (part #4321) to protect the boat’s lighting, electronics, and accessories circuits. Newport Vessels’ Trolling Motor Smart Battery Box Power Center with USB and DC Ports was added to provide power for the trolling motor. Finally, Raymarine’s Axiom Pro 9 RVX Multifunction Display w/transom mounted RealVision transducer, and Johnny Ray electronics swivel mount were added to complete the project.
7.jpg
Mods - Stern View
7.jpg (45.09 KiB) Viewed 16830 times

8.jpg
Mods - Bow View
8.jpg (85.52 KiB) Viewed 16830 times

Schuyler84

Postby Schuyler84 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:57 pm

Part 5 Results: As indicated within Part 1 Trolling Motor Mount, the results of these modifications have exceeded my expectations. The boat converts quickly and easily from the original 1987 Boston Whaler Super Sport 13 configuration to the fishing platform shown within the photos below. The Minn Kota Terrova's Track recording / following feature, anchor feature, and steer to magnetic bearing features have proven to be immensely beneficial in permitting me to concentrate on fishing rather than tending to the trolling motor. Likewise, Raymarine's Axiom Pro 9 RVX Multifunction Display has proven to be an exception fishfinding / structure locating / chartplotting product. The results speaks for themselves in that this summer, I caught more fish and landed the largest bass that I had ever landed. Best wishes with your Whaler project ... Schuyler84!
9.jpg
Fish On
9.jpg (39.48 KiB) Viewed 16829 times

10.jpg
Success
10.jpg (37.29 KiB) Viewed 16829 times

Schuyler84

Postby Schuyler84 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:58 pm

Build your own copy of my trolling motor mount:

I have been contacted by some viewers of this thread who have voiced interest producing a copy of my trolling motor mount for their late 50s through early 90s Standard 13, Sport 13, Super Sport 13, Sport 15, or Super Sport 15. To support this end, I have produced tracings of my mount and have applied some measurements to the tracings. While the mount fits well on my ’87 Super Sport 13 with original rub rail, those producing a copy for their '83-94 Standard / Sport / Super Sport 13 may need to make slight adjustments to permit the trolling motor mount to snugly fit their own boat. Those having earlier models of Standard 13, Sport 13, Super Sport 13 as well as those having a '79-95 Sport 15, or Super Sport 15 may find that the side profile and position of the sliding key lock opening will need to be modified to fit their hulls and permit the locking key to slide snugly beneath the boat's norman pin.

I have taken several photos of the mount from various angles to aid those interested producing a mount for their own boat as well as to understand how the mount is assembled and functions (ex. note the cutouts in the locking key runners permitting the mount to be positioned over the norman pin). I have additionally produced three tracings of the fore, aft, and side profiles of the mount and saved these as PDF files. I have then added the photos and PDF files to my Dropbox. When printing the PDF files, be certain to print them at 100% of the original size. Because of the size of the Side Profile Tracing PDF file, those lacking a printer capable of printing a full size copy of Side Profile Tracing would be advised to take the PDF file to Kinkos, the FedEx Store, etc. to have a full size print produced.

Anyone interested in viewing / downloading these photos and/or PDF files may reach out to me and I in turn will provide them with access to my Dropbox. Any questions concerning the mount should be asked as posts within this thread to permit other who may have similar questions to also have access to the related information.

Schuyler84

Postby Schuyler84 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:54 am

Mount Construction Hints

General:
• Consider using marine grade ¾” plywood rather than standard grade. While more expensive than standard grade plywood, marine grade plywood has the advantage of durability, additional layers, no voids, uniform strength, and quality finishing.
• Consider creating a mockup with scrap / lower cost material before committing to final materials.
• Consider creating a template for the sides from a piece of material which may be easily filed or sanded (ex. Masonite, etc.). Using the template which I have provided as a starting point and then make the necessary modifications to fit your boat.
• Dry fit mount before committing to drilling for final fastening of cleats and runners. To facilitate this end, I used a brad nailer to temporarily fasten the cleats and runners to the plywood. Should they later need to be removed, then they may simply be pried from the plywood and the brads may be clipped off. When final positioning of these items has been determined, then holes and countersinks may be drilled to permit fasteners to be installed.
• For fastening, I recommend use of wood glue followed by stainless steel machine screws, washers, and nylox nuts. Stainless steel fasteners may be economically purchased in bulk from online sources such as the Bolt Depot.
• Protect the mount with quality sealer / finish. I used several coats of Petit 1015 Captains Varnish.

Installation of the locking key’s runners:
1. Create four locking key runners having dimensions ¾” x ¾” x 5-1/2” from hardwood.
2. With the aft plywood pieces of the mount not yet attached, position the mount in place over the bow norman pin.
3. Insert a loosened adjustable square beneath the norman pin on and against the rear edge of one of the mount’s sides.
4. Draw out the square’s ruler until it just clears the norman pin and note this measurement. This measurement will mark the rearmost edge of materiel which must be removed from that side’s runners to permit the mount to pass over the norman pin.
5. Repeat steps 3-4 for the opposite side.
6. Insert an adjustable square beneath the norman pin on and against the rear edge of one of the mount’s sides.
7. Raise the adjustable square until it makes contact with the norman pin.
8. Mark the inside of the mount’s side to denote where the lower edge of that side’s upper runner will be installed.
9. Repeat steps 6-8 for the mount’s opposite side.
10. Remove the mount from the boat.
11. Reposition the square at one of the marks made and extend the line fully forward.
12. Repeat step 11 for the opposite side.
13. Unbolt the sides from the mount.
14. Position the bottom edge of a upper runner on one of the lines.
15. Use a brad nailer to tack the upper runner onto the mount’s side (this will be a temporary fasten).
16. Repeat steps 14-15 for the opposite side.
17. Place the locking key against the bottom edge of the upper runner on one of the mount’s sides.
18. While holding the locking key in place, position a lower runner onto the mount’s side and pressed against the locking key (remember that the key must be able to slide, recommend using a piece of thin cardboard (ex. Posterboard, notepad backer, etc.) between the key and the lower runner to create consistent clearance).
19. Use a brad nailer to tack the lower runner onto the mount’s side (this will be a temporary fasten).
20. Remove the plywood locking key.
21. Mark the position of the upper edge of the lower runner onto the mount’s side.
22. Repeat steps 18-21 for the opposite side.
23. Mark the sides of the mount where both upper and lower surfaces of each runner contact the mount’s sides.
24. Mark any excess length for each runner.
25. Mark the upper and lower runners for each side with measurements obtained in steps 3-4.
26. Measure and mark 1-3/4” forward from the marks in step 25.
27. Label the runners so that they may be repositioned exactly in their current positions.
28. Remove the runners from the sides.
29. On a table saw using either a dado blade or by performing multiple passes with a single blade, create a notch which is approximately .470” deep between the lines created in steps 26. Note: as the marks created in step 25 represent the aft most face of the norman pin when the mount is fully installed, it will likely be necessary to widen the in the direction toward the rear of the mount to permit the mount to be rotated over the norman pin.
30. Cut off any excess length from the runners using the marks created in step 24.
31. Once again use a brad nailer tack the runners onto the mount’s sides in their original positions.
32. Reassemble the mount’s sides to the mount.
33. Verify that the mount can be installed over the norman pin. If not the dado will need to be either lengthened and/or depth increased based upon where the runners are contacting the norman pin.
34. Verify that the locking key can be inserted between the runners and beneath the norman pin. If not, then the upper runner has been installed too high.
35. Once tweaks have been made to permit steps 34 and 35 to be achieved, then the exact dimensions of the mount’s two aft pieces of plywood may be determined using the locations of the runners.
36. Disassemble the mount’s sides from the mount.
37. Drill through the runners and sides to accommodate machine screws to fasten the runners to the sides.
38. Countersink outer side of plywood to accommodate machine screw heads.
39. Secure runners to mount’s sides with machine screws.
40. Install mount’s two aft pieces of plywood.
41. Once again verify that the mount will install over the boat’s norman pin and that the plywood locking key can be inserted.
42. Disassemble the mount, and perform final reassembly using glue and machine screws.
43. Apply finish to suit your own tastes / needs.

Final Thoughts:
Electric trolling motors are expensive. To protect against potential loss resulting from a failure of the mount or norman pin, you may want to consider accessorizing the mount with a stainless steel eye bolt. When the mount is installed on the boat, the stainless steel eye bolt may secured to the bow eye’s eye nut (located inside the hull below the norman pin) using rope, a stainless steel lanyard, etc.

Additional Mount Photos - Part 1:
To make it easier for others, I have added the aforementioned photos and PDF files within this post and Additional Mount Photos - Part 2 - 4. Details of this mount may also be found within my Personal Page on Whaler Central (http://whalercentral.com/infusions/personal_page/view_personal_page.php?user_id=46168).

20210201_172410r.jpg
20210201_172410r.jpg (56.57 KiB) Viewed 15618 times

20210201_172459r.jpg
20210201_172459r.jpg (111.74 KiB) Viewed 15618 times

20210201_172649r.jpg
20210201_172649r.jpg (138.76 KiB) Viewed 15618 times
Last edited by Schuyler84 on Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:55 am, edited 5 times in total.

Schuyler84

Postby Schuyler84 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:57 am

Additional Mount Photos - Part 2:
To make it easier for others, I have added the aforementioned photos and PDF files within this post and Additional Mount Photos - Part 3 - 4. Details of this mount may also be found within my Personal Page on Whaler Central (http://whalercentral.com/infusions/personal_page/view_personal_page.php?user_id=46168).

20210201_172355r.jpg
20210201_172355r.jpg (45.27 KiB) Viewed 15614 times

20210201_172536r.jpg
20210201_172536r.jpg (91.96 KiB) Viewed 15618 times

20210201_172548r.jpg
20210201_172548r.jpg (89.87 KiB) Viewed 15618 times
Last edited by Schuyler84 on Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:20 am, edited 4 times in total.

Schuyler84

Postby Schuyler84 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:11 am

Additional Mount Photos & PDFs - Part 3:
To make it easier for others, I have added the aforementioned photos and PDF files within this post and Additional Mount Photos - Part 4. As indicated above, When printing the PDF files, be certain to print them at 100% of the original size. Because of the size of the Side Profile Tracing PDF file, those lacking a printer capable of printing a full size copy of Side Profile Tracing would be advised to take the PDF file to Kinkos, the FedEx Store, etc. to have a full size print produced. Details of this mount may also be found within my Personal Page on Whaler Central (http://whalercentral.com/infusions/personal_page/view_personal_page.php?user_id=46168).

MountTracing-SideProfile.pdf
(59.27 KiB) Downloaded 391 times

MountTracing-FwdProfile-min.pdf
(90.7 KiB) Downloaded 353 times

MountTracing-AftProfile-min.pdf
(96.32 KiB) Downloaded 347 times
Last edited by Schuyler84 on Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Schuyler84

Postby Schuyler84 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:22 am

Additional Mount Photos & PDFs - Part 4:
To make it easier for others, I have added the last of the aforementioned photos and PDF files within this post. When printing the PDF files, be certain to print them at 100% of the original size. Because of the size of the Side Profile Tracing PDF file, those lacking a printer capable of printing a full size copy of Side Profile Tracing would be advised to take the PDF file to Kinkos, the FedEx Store, etc. to have a full size print produced. Details of this mount may also be found within my Personal Page on Whaler Central (http://whalercentral.com/infusions/personal_page/view_personal_page.php?user_id=46168).

MountTracing-LockingKey-min.pdf
(106.08 KiB) Downloaded 341 times

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:04 pm

Schuyler84--thanks for sharing the information and details on the construction of the bow trolling motor mount. I am sure others will find the information to be very useful.

Schuyler84

Postby Schuyler84 » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:23 am

JimH,

You're welcome. I'm glad that I may have been able to provide a solution for others who may be struggling with how to add a bow mounted trolling motor to their 13', 15', and possibly 17' classic Whalers. I encourage those who have fabricated a mount modeled upon my mount and/or incorporated the rail modifications described herein to post photos of their mounts along with comments concerning any fabrication challenges which they may have encountered. I would also encourage that they post any comments that they may have concerning how well the mount performed for them.

Schuyler84

Postby Schuyler84 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:48 am

In the Spring of 2021 I purchased my third classic Boston Whaler. This time, I purchased an 1988 Super Sport 15. I have restored the boat and have incorporated all of the modifications which I have listed within this thread. The details of the removable bow electric trolling motor mount which I have produced for this new boat may be found at: https://continuouswave.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6600.

The new mount.

Schuyler84

Postby Schuyler84 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:03 am

After receiving some feedback, I have altered the design of my mount to include an additional means of securing its aft end to the hull. This has been easily accomplished by installing a 3/8" stainless steel eye within the mount's upper aft panel. A 3/8" stainless steel turnbuckle will then be used to connect the eye nut of the bow eye to the aforementioned 3/8" eye bolt. The additional security measure should greatly reduce the risk of shearing the norman pin when operating in rough conditions. Should the mount's locking key have interfered with the turnbuckle, then the aft edge of the locking key would have been notched to provide the necessary clearance for the turnbuckle to be tightened or loosened. The turnbuckle also provides additional protection against the mount's locking key inadvertently backing out.

Is the turnbuckle excessive? Perhaps, but this addition is cheap insurance against loosing the almost $1900 trolling motor, Minn Kota mount, and the fabricated mount over the bow.

I have forwarded this information to the current owner of my '87 Super Sport 13 in order that he may make this same modification to the wooden mount which has been detailed within this thread. The photograph below shows the turnbuckle addition to the mount which I have made for my '88 Super Sport 15.

20210830_123735r.jpg
20210830_123735r.jpg (87.9 KiB) Viewed 11513 times