1996 OUTRAGE 17: Replacing Fuel Hose Using Old Fuel Hose

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
NLA2

1996 OUTRAGE 17: Replacing Fuel Hose Using Old Fuel Hose

Postby NLA2 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:53 pm

I have a 1996 OUTRAGE 17 boat.

Q: is the [fuel hose from the fuel tank to the stern in a 1996 OUTRAGE 17 boat installed in a manner] that is loose enough so that I can attach a new [replacement fuel hose] line to the old [fuel hose line] and pull [the new fuel hose line] through by pulling out the old [fuel hose line ?]

I don’t want to dismantle the console or deck to do this. Thanks for advice.

jimh

Re: 1996 OUTRAGE 17: Replacing Fuel Hose Using Old Fuel Hose

Postby jimh » Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:42 pm

I would not bet the farm on the fuel hose from the fuel tank pick-up fitting to the stern being just laid in place without any sort of attachment or clamp to retain it in position. Typically a fuel hose will pass through some metal clamp that has been fitted with a rubber bushing so the contact between the rubber fuel hose and the clamp is rubber-to-rubber and not rubber-to-metal.

That said, I have not disassembled a 1996 OUTRAGE 17 boat myself, so I do not have first hand knowledge.

If you want to inquire with the person who started and wrote about his boat project in the other thread, you should use his email contact information to send an inquiry to him. There is no reasonable basis to think he checks old threads daily to see your inquiry.

Even if there were no clamps holding the original fuel line in place, I believe it would be somewhere between from extremely unlikely to impossible to pull-in a new fuel hose by attaching it (in some unspecified manner) to an old hose and then using the old hose as a pull rope to drag the new hose into position. I don't think the fuel hose is that pliable or flexible that you could pull ten feet (or more) of it through a grommet in a bulkhead.

If you do attempt this, I suggest that you thoroughly lubricate both hoses with alcohol. Alcohol is a very effective lubricant for rubber, and it will rapidly evaporate and dry away, leaving no residue behind. To attempt this, go to a big-box store and buy a large quantity of isopropyl alcohol diluted with water, usually in a mix of 8:2 or 80-percent alcohol. Use it as a lubricant to help ease the pull of the rubber fuel hoses through the various passages necessary. Report the outcome in a follow-up post.

Another method to pulling in a new hose: pull out the old hose with a new pull rope attached to it. In this way you pull in the new pull rope for the new fuel hose.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:26 pm

Having replaced (fill, supply and vent) fuel hoses on a sister model, the 1990-1995 Outrage 17 I, I will share this:

While the hoses sit on top of the fuel tank (as shown in the thread linked above) be warned. The largest diameter hose, the fuel fill, has a wire inside the hose wall and is the stiffest of the three. Over the years all the hoses dry out somewhat and become even more stiff.

While you may be able to remove the existing fill hose from the fill neck of the tank, connecting it to the new hose will need to be extremely secure as some force will be required to pull the hose.

I am in the midst of pulling hoses and rigging on my second Outrage 17 I this weekend. After much effort I realized the effort of lifting (not removing) the console 4-6" to allow me to lift the floor to obtain better access is a "smarter" task requiring less brawn.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

NLA2

Postby NLA2 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:59 pm

Thanks Jim and Phil. I’ve replaced the fill and vent lines. No problems. I know the delivery line is not foamed in, and it follows the same cavity that the shift cable, steering cable,etc. use on the starboard side of the boat. The bend in the fuel delivery line where it turns toward the stern might be troublesome, but it looks like the access hole in the bulkhead is big enough to allow for some slop. I assume the line just lays in that cavity. If it is clamped or secured in any way, I obviously won’t be able to pull it through. I’ve asked Whaler, but no help other than to say it’s not foamed in.

NLA2

Postby NLA2 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:29 am

I have already replaced the vent and fill hoses without problems.

I just need to replace the fuel delivery hose from the tank to the engine.

NLA2

Postby NLA2 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:27 pm

Update: I replaced the fuel delivery line. I attached the new line to the old line with a 3/8-inch diameter brass union and hose clamps. I pulled the new fuel hose through from the stern to the tank. As I pulled the out the old fuel hose, the new fuel hose followed it right through. The old fuel hose was not fastened to the hull in any place. It measured 13.5 feet long. I bought 17 feet of replacement fuel hose just to be sure.

Surprisingly, the old fuel hosel was in good shape for being 25-years-old. The hose Showed nodelamination of the inner core, or permeation of gasoline fumes. But I am glad it’s replaced, and now I have no worries. Perhaps the good condition of the old fuel line was due to me using only non-ethanol gasoline. I’ve never put any ethanol blended gasoline in the boat. I’ve owned the boat for 20 years