RPS Seat Height

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Will

RPS Seat Height

Postby Will » Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:56 am

I removed the RPS from my 1991 19 Outrage several years ago in favor of a leaning post. Now I am going to put the RPS back in. I am 6-feet and my wife is 5-feet 7-inches in height. I want to raise the height of the RPS to better see over the console when sitting and use it as a leaning post when standing with the backrest forward.

I am considering a 6-inch lift.

Q1: [A survey] to what height have others raised an RPS?

Q2: To what height do you suggest raising the RPS?

Q3: [A survey] what materials have been used to raise an RPS?

Q4: [A survey] has a riser been placed between the OEM base and Z legs or under the base?

—Will

jimh

Re: RPS Seat Height

Postby jimh » Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:21 am

Will—Q1, Q3, and Q4 are asking for surveys. I don’t have any survey data to share. Asking for advice or recommendations is generally better than to ask for surveys.

I have not raised an RPS. I have seen three examples of a raised RPS in OUTRAGE 18, 22, and 25 boats. All were for helmsmen over six-feet and as tall as perhaps six-feet three-inches. All were constructed from teak wood fastened to the deck and the Z-legs fastened to the teak.

The best example I have ever seen was constructed by Jerry—unfortunately now passed away—on his Outrage 22 boat SPOUTER.

Other examples were similar but used square cut lumber instead of the nicely tapered style that Jerry used.

Typically teak boards of about 1-inch thick were laminated to create the riser height.

Note also that the console height was also raised in proportion to the RPS height. Inasmuch as you mentioned wanting to see over the windshield, perhaps raising to console won’t be in your plans.

As for suggested height, test a higher seat level by using a throwable PFD. They are usually square cut stiff foam about two or three inches thick. Since you are five inches taller than your wife, you may need to compromise on the height increase.

When modifying a classic Boston Whaler the work should match the aesthetic of the original. In the use of teak on the classic Outrage boats that was nicely achieved.

Here is a view of SPOUTER—a great name for a “Whaler” by the way—underway with the raised RPS in use:

Will

Postby Will » Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:19 am

Thank you Jim as always. Spouter is a beautiful boat.

Will

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:25 pm

Over the 17+ years....of the owners that raised the RPS and the console, most 75% raised it 4". The others raised it 6". These owners tended to be 5"11 or taller.

I would caution you that while raising it is good for you, any passenger/child under 5'5 may not like it.

At 6'2+ I personally raised mine 6" using Trex branded decking in brown for the blocks/board. I copied LHG and Jerry's example. First block used existing holes, next was off set, third offset again, top plank used original Z leg holes with long screws going into block 2 and 3.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003