Thread Locker for Console Screws

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
otter

Thread Locker for Console Screws

Postby otter » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:58 am

[Moderator's note: this thread was begun in the INTRODUCTION FORUM. The INTRODUCTION FORUM is not a boating forum. The thread has been moved to the REPAIRS AND MODIFICATIONS forum for discussion. The author has been notified of the move by a private message.]

I have [1998--always use four digits for year] Outrage [of unspecified length--always specify the length of the OUTRAGE model].

[There have been] problems with the screws getting loose on [the center] console. I have thought about putting [a thread locker compound like] lock tight on the screw ends to prevent [the screws from loosening]. Currently, [I] must tighten [the screws fasteners on the console] every so often to keep the screw heads from sticking out.

[Would use of a thread locker compound] be good or bad idea?

jimh

Re: Thread Locker for Console Screws

Postby jimh » Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:12 am

Are you asking about screws that fasten the center console to the boat deck?

Or, are you asking about screws that hold accessories or panels onto the center console itself?

Most thread locker compounds like LocTite or PermaTex are designed for machine screws that thread into metal. I do not think LocTite or similar thread locker would be effective on self-tapping screws that are driven into wood backing, which is likely the situation on your unspecified OUTRAGE boat and center console for the screws holding the console to the deck

Instead of a thread-locker compound like LocTite, I recommend you use a sealant on the self-tapping screws that fasten the center console to the deck. The sealant will help retain the screws and prevent them from loosening, and the sealant will also help to keep water out. A typical sealant can be a marine sealant like 3M MARINE GRADE SILICON or BOAT LIFE LIFE-CAULK sealant.

If the loose screws are just screws that hold accessories or panels onto the center console itself, they also are likely to be self-tapping screws and are fastening to embedded wood under the console laminate. Loose screws like that can be tightened by inserting some shavings of wood from soft pine into the screw hole. Several shavings will usually allow the screw fastener to get more purchase and remain tight. Some sealant may also help the screw from unthreading.

tlsch377

Postby tlsch377 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:47 pm

Jim is right, loc tite won't work in your situation. I wonder if the wood your screws are going into is soft from moisture. Check that and consider how you can dry the wood. I'd then look more to the 4200, definitely not 5200, but the 4200 will hold your screws, seal and f you have to remove the console, you will be able to.. If the core wood is wet, it will rot, if that occured and you do not intend to cut it out, I have had success using Get Rot on the deck of a Wellcraft I owned year ago, but I can not speak to whether or not you can screw into the Get Rot and expect it to hold the screw. Let us know what you do.

otter

Postby otter » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:53 am

The screws [that are continually loosening are] the screws that go into the side panels of the center counsel. They screw in tight but loosen up--I expect from the vibration. I will try putting pine shavings in the screw holes and see how that works. I can try silicon caulk later if need be. Thanks

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:07 am

If the center console is continually vibrating, you should investigate what is loose and what is causing the vibration. If the vibrations are induced by the engine at certain boat speeds, try changing the number of propeller blades to shift the fundamental frequency of the propeller vibrations. Or, just avoid the particular boat speed where the vibrations are induced in the console.

Don McIntyre - MI

Postby Don McIntyre - MI » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:22 pm

Another thought: change from a wood screw to a machine screw if there is access inside the console to place a washer, lock washer and nut.

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:33 am

I like DON's suggestion. If vibration is a problem, use an elastic stop nut or Ny-Lok nut on the machine screw. I assume that whatever is being fastened to the side of the center console does not need to routinely be removed and re-installed.