Trailer Bunks, Polyethylene Slip Pads, Replacement Wood

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
otter

Trailer Bunks, Polyethylene Slip Pads, Replacement Wood

Postby otter » Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:07 pm

With the purchase of a 1998 17 Outrage II boat, I also acquired a boat trailer. The trailer has a bad bunk.

I decided to replace the wood with polyethylene slip pads because the polyethylene slip pads make the boat much easier to load. I purchased some new polyethylene slip pads and fastened them to the top of bunks. On one bunk I discovered the screws went into the wood where they wouldn't hold due to bad wood.

I've read about the various woods to use to replace existing bunks and I'm thinking about using fir.

If polyethylene slip pads are kept free of abrasives will they not scratch the hull?

Will polyethylene slip pads eliminate the need to use marine carpet on bunks?

Phil T

Re: Trailer Bunks

Postby Phil T » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:53 pm

There is nothing special about wood bunks.

Many owners replace OEM boards with pressure treated 2x4 or 2x6 lumber. The thing to remember is most pressure-treated wood is #3 grade southern yellow pine--knotty and subject to warping and splitting and basically crap.

I replaced my bunks with #2 stud-grade 2x4 or 2x6 lumber. I hand pick them from a lift. Sometimes it takes looking at 20 to 30 to find one that is straight, has small, tight knots that are in the middle of the face and not on the edge.

Use stainless staples with carpet or plastic strips. Your choice.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

jimh

Re: Trailer Bunks, Polyethylene Slip Pads, Replacement Wood

Postby jimh » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:37 am

Wood trailer bunks covered with carpet have a good history of not scratching hulls. I don't have any historical data or experience with polyethylene slip pads and their tendency to scratch a hull.

Does the boat have bottom paint? Bottom paint may be more prone to being easily removed by abrasion with a wet hard surface like polyethylene than with a wet soft surface like carpet.

biggiefl

Postby biggiefl » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:07 pm

i have seen people lose their boat on the ramp using slip pads.
On my 24th Whaler. Currently in the stable: 86 18' Outrage, 81 13' Sport(original owner), 87 11' Sport, 69 Squall(for sale cheap).

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:33 pm

biggiefl wrote:i have seen people lose their boat on the ramp using slip pads.

Yes, I would have a concern about that. Some hesitation in sliding off the trailer bunks can be a welcomed feature at a boat ramp.