Brass Drain Tube Installation Detailed Procedure and Hints

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
PMCKEN1

Brass Drain Tube Installation Detailed Procedure and Hints

Postby PMCKEN1 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:01 am

I just completed installation of new brass drain tubes on a 1988 Montauk.

After replacing the three-inch stern drain and three-inch anchor locker drain, I thought the 12-inch stern center drain would be straight forward, but due to compound angles at both ends it was not.

I bought 1-inch-OD 0.032-inch wall brass tubing from McMaster Carr in three-foot length.

I used a flaring tool. I bought a 36-inch length 5/16-inch threaded rod to allow the flaring tool to have an extended reach.

I had some hardwood wedges with about a 10 to 15-degree angle to tilt the flaring tool die as I formed the flares.

I started by using the removed drain tube as a template.

I cut an approximately 15-degree angle in one end of the new drain tube.

I annealed the brass and formed the inboard end first.

I realized that the factory installed tube had a slight bend near the end, so I annealed a couple inches of the tube back from the flare and checked fitment: it was a very close match to fiberglass inside the hull drain area.

I made a slight bend downward; this improved the flanged angle matchup to the fiberglass.

I then inserted the new drain tube with an O-ring installed. I took a measurement on the outboard tube flange area with two O-rings installed; I added an extra 1/16-inch beyond the second O-ring.

The outboard end of the tube was also cut at an angle, maybe 5-degrees.

After making the cut, the outboard of the tube was annealed.

I then put together the assembly using 3M4200. (Note that 3M5200 is too strong and would make removal of the tube very hard.)

I used a wood wedge inside the boat laid against the previously formed flare beyond the threaded rod, down the drain, and connected the outer flare die to the rod.

I put [lubricant] on the die to aid in smooth rolling.

I double nutted the rod inside the boat and tightened [the nut on the outboard end of the threaded rod], thus flaring the outboard end of the new drain tube.

While flaring I noticed the [inboard end of the tube] O-ring had started to squeeze out a bit.

I then stopped [tightening the nut on outboard end of the threaded rod]. I used a ball-peen hammer to reshape [the inboard end of the drain tube], pushing O-ring back under the rolled edge of the drain tube. The flare rolled edge was tapped lightly so it re-captured the O-ring. I held a trailer hitch ball against the outboard end of the new drain tube while tapping lightly.

Thanks to the use of annealing, I was surprised at how easily I could tap the brass tube surfaces into perfect final form. The metal is soft.

I cleaned up the 3M4200 sealant.

I gave a few small taps to alter the final shape of the drain tube rolled end flares.

The outcome looks [as good as the original installation at the] factory.

I hope this helps someone [to install new brass drain tubes].

--Pat

tlsch377

Re: Brass Drain Tube Installation Detailed Procedure and Hints

Postby tlsch377 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:14 pm

Great detailed report, good luck, I know it was not straight forward. I was surprised My 2006 dauntless had plastic thru hulls. I replaced them in the Fall, just hope what I did doesn't leak, I had to make a press to pull the tubes together and I sealed with a caulk BW recommended instead of the 4200 or 5200.