1986 Montauk Rot

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
BassettBW

1986 Montauk Rot

Postby BassettBW » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:17 pm

Should I be concerned about rot in a 1986 MONTAUK?

I had have this 1986 Montauk since c.1995 and neglected it many years.

I wonder if [the 1986 MONTAUK boat has] rot.

In the [stern] on the side opposite the battery, the [cockpit deck] seems to have separated some from the [underlying structure]. The [cockpit deck] area feels soft.

FUTURE PROJECTS:I want to re-do all the wood trim and re-power.

TRANSOM: The transom is good. The transom has a metal plate installed by the dealer for the original buyer io increase the strength of the transom.

jimh

Re: 1986 Montauk Rot

Postby jimh » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:24 pm

Embedded wood under the cockpit deck can become rotted and soft if freshwater has been allowed to get through holes in the deck laminate and gel coat and seep into the wood. Even boats kept in saltwater can get fresh water under the deck if rain has been allowed to accumulate and the deck has unsealed holes. If the boat has been stored outdoors without much care, and if rain has been allowed to accumulate and form pools on the deck, the chance of rot in the underlying wood will be increased.

Because the deck on a MONTAUK is part of a single molded part and not a separate deck component that can easily be removed for repair, soft deck area have to be repaired without really removing the deck laminate.

Describe the shape and dimensions of the area of the deck you describe as being soft.

BassettBW

Re: 1986 Montauk Rot

Postby BassettBW » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:48 am

I would say the soft areas are about a square foot each, in the rear on each side of the bilge pump.