OUTRAGE 22 SUPER CONSOLE: Moving Batteries to Center Console:

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
mikegcny

OUTRAGE 22 SUPER CONSOLE: Moving Batteries to Center Console:

Postby mikegcny » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:09 pm

I am thinking of moving the batteries to the [SUPER CONSOLE on an OUTRAGE 22 boat] console. Give input.

BACK STORY: A piece of teak broke on my console in 2020.. Rather than just fixing it, I decided to re-do the entire console with all new teak, wiring, hardware, and switches. I also relocated things. Basically only thing staying is the base console, the hydraulic steering, and engine rigging. Some pictures: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Kk7h6DcucgE4QwLUA

I plan to repurpose the fire extinguisher hatch as a electrical switch compartment. I was thinking of moving the two fires extinguishers to the posts that support the helm seating, or them mounting horizontally under the gunwales. If you have made that re-positioning of the fire extinguishers, please reply.

jimh

Re: Avoiding Voltage Drop in Engine Cranking Battery Cables

Postby jimh » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:28 pm

mikegcny wrote:I am thinking of moving the batteries to the [SUPER CONSOLE on an OUTRAGE 22 boat] console. Give input.

Advice on moving the engine cranking battery out of the boat's stern and to the helm console is given in many prior discussion. I recommend this discussion in SMALL BOAT ELECTRICAL for the electrical considerations needed to be understood and followed in order to prevent excessive voltage drop in the longer conductors:

General Advice on Moving Engine Battery to Console from Transom and Extending Battery Cables
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5111&p=29325

Due the weight of lead-acid batteries, they are generally mounted to the deck, not to a shelf in the center console. If necessary, the shelf is modified to have a cut out for the battery box to pass through to reach the deck. The battery box is secured to the deck with a strap.

The primary power on-off switches and primary power distribution buses are also moved along with the batteries. The SMALL BOAT ELECTRICAL forum is the best forum to discuss changes in electrical wiring or electrical power distribution. Please follow up there is you need more advice on the electrical aspects of your plan to move the battery location.

jimh

Re: OUTRAGE 22 SUPER CONSOLE: Moving Batteries to Center Console:

Postby jimh » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:38 pm

One of the pictures in your gallery shows that the access hole in the deck through which engine rigging and other cables pass DOES NOT have the usual surrounding raised plastic shield or water dam to keep water from entering the rigging tunnel.

See: http://continuouswave.com/forum/download/file.php?id=6804

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:43 pm

mikegcny wrote:I plan to repurpose the fire extinguisher hatch as a electrical switch compartment.

I don't think moving all the electrical switches to the old fire-extinguisher recessed panel is a good idea.

How would you access those switches while piloting the boat at the helm?

The usual location for any electrical switch at the helm is to be in reach of the helmsman while at the wheel.

I would be surprised if that has ever been done.

mikegcny

Postby mikegcny » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:56 pm

jimh wrote:
shows that the access hole in the deck through which engine rigging and other cables pass DOES NOT have the usual surrounding raised plastic shield or water dam to keep water from entering the rigging tunnel.

That is all being rebuilt with KING StarBoard.

mikegcny

Postby mikegcny » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:59 pm

jimh wrote:How would you access those switches while piloting the boat at the helm? The usual location for any electrical switch at the helm is to be in reach of the helmsman while at the wheel.

By switches I mean the engine battery selector switch and house battery switch.

I have a new custom switch panel for the bilge pumps, lighting, horn, etc. that is going to the right of the engine gauges. I never liked where the factory placed them.

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:07 pm

mikegcny wrote:...by switches [moving to the recess where the fire-extinguisher was] I mean the engine battery selector switches and house battery switch.

Thanks for the clarification on what you meant by "electrical switch."

As I already mentioned, you will have to move the primary battery switch and primary power distribution bus out of the stern, so putting them on the console somewhere is necessary.

Note that the length of any unfused conductor from the battery terminal to a disconnect switch should be limited to about 36-inches.

Any electrical switch should be protected from spray and splash. The sides of the console seem more vulnerable than the dashboard area. Perhaps a hinged clear plastic lid could be put over the primary switches in the recess on the side of the console.

mikegcny

Postby mikegcny » Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:27 pm

jimh wrote:
mikegcny wrote:...by switches [moving to the recess where the fire-extinguisher was] I mean the engine battery selector switches and house battery switch.

Any electrical switch should be protected from spray and splash. The sides of the console seem more vulnerable than the dashboard area. Perhaps a hinged clear plastic lid could be put over the primary switches in the recess on the side of the console.

I would build a new door out of teak for the hatch, but where they are right now they get soaked constantly. All i do each year is inspect the connections and coat in fluid film, which I would still do even in the console. You can see them in this pic https://photos.app.goo.gl/atWfNb3td3exFRpj6