Remote Engine Shift and Throttle Controls for a KATAMA Console

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
cregan13

Remote Engine Shift and Throttle Controls for a KATAMA Console

Postby cregan13 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:02 pm

GIve a recommendation for a remote engine shift and throttle control for a Suzuki DF90 that will fit on the an old KATAMA console.

BACKSTORY

I am trying to salvage a very, very rough Katama console to put on a 16-foot hull. I am just about done rehabbing.

I am trying to figure out what throttle control to install for the Suzuki DF90 engine, and where to put it.

I would like to flush mounted the engine remote throttle and shift controls on the inboard side of the leg that is on the outboard side of the console. There are screw holes there that look like that was where the throttle had been mounted.

None of the flush mount engine remote throttle and shift controls I have seen online look like they would fit in the very limited space between the leg and the small cubby right next to it.

jimh

Re: Remote Engine Shift and Throttle Controls for a KATAMA Console

Postby jimh » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:06 am

The unusual console of a KATAMA can be seen in CETACEA. See

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/cetace ... age30.html

Use a top-mount remote engine throttle and shift control. Mount it on the console top surface.

KATAMA_Console.jpg
Fig. 1. A KATAMA console with top-mounted engine remote throttle and shift controls.
KATAMA_Console.jpg (14.98 KiB) Viewed 3483 times

whalerron

Postby whalerron » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:43 pm

I had a Minot and that boat shipped with the same side console that was used in the Katama. In my boat, the engine control was mounted to the side of the vertical console leg that would be next to the driver's right leg when he is seated at the helm. There is a partial picture of this on Cetacea page 33:
http://continuouswave.com/whaler/cetacea/cetaceaPage33.html

- Ron

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:34 am

The photograph mentioned above is shown below:

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:59 am

I think the positon of the throttle in relation to the steering wheel in both photos is deficient.

Personally, I would place the throttle closer to the steering wheel.

If you are going for authenticity, you can install a new Morse binacle control with a separate trim switch for your new Suzuki.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

whalerron

Postby whalerron » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:18 pm

Phil, I understand your perspective on the distance between the steering wheel and the engine controls but I found the side mounted control unit to be very natural to use. These older 16/7" boats are not very wide and when seated at the helm, my hand fell naturally on the throttle control. The added advantage to mounting the control to the side of the console leg is the extra horizontal console surface that is available for laying out a chart book or for mounting a chart plotter and a VHF.

- ron