1979 11-footer: New Engine, New Steering

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
abnorm

1979 11-footer: New Engine, New Steering

Postby abnorm » Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:52 pm

In 2020 I bought a 1979 11-footer that had [been rigged what may be presumed to be wire-rope-and-pulley steering]. I had a Tohatsu 9.8-HP engine rigged for tiller-steering. In 2020 I jerry-rigged something [on the 11-footer to enable use of the Tohatsu engine].

Over the winter of 2020-2021 I bought a Yahama 25-HP short-shaft engine with electric starting and a T-Flex steering kit.

I was set to get [the new engine, the new steering, and the old boat] together [but problems occurred].

For use now, I rebuilt the old school [wire rope and pulley] steering. For 2022 I plan to fabricate a new steering actuator with standoff. In April 2021 I just want to get the 1979 11-footer on the water. I have sourced some parts. I have a stainless steel steering [actuator] tube and a white gimbal stand-off. The inside diameter of the clamp on the white gimbal stand-off is much larger than the 1-inch OD (approximate) of the steering actuator tube.

I just found [the forum at continuouswave.com].

jimh

Re: 1979 SPORT 11 New Engine, New Steering

Postby jimh » Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:16 am

Welcome to the forum. Thanks for giving us the history of the engine and steering you have used on the 11-footer. I look forward to 2022 when you will install the mechanical cable steering system.

I am confused by your narrative with regard to youfabricating your own steering tube actuator. Please clarify.

The general solution to using mechanical cable steering like a T-Flex on smaller boats with curved transoms is to use the gimbal mount to hold the actuator in place. If the gimbal mount clamp you have is unable to tighten onto the T-Flex steering actuator you have, you can fabricate a shim to slip onto the 1-inch OD diameter actuator housing to increase its diameter to the point where the gimbal clamp can retain it.

A prior discussion on the topic

Mechanical Cable Steering on Older 13-footer
viewtopic.php?t=683#p4546

has an illustration that shows the actuator rod being clamped in the gimbal stand-off.

Fig. 1. A mechanical cable steering system using a transom-mounted gimbal bracket to hold the actuator in place.

Another view was shown in another prior discussion:

FIg. 2. Another view of the arrangement of the steering actuator and the gimbal clamp bracket on a boat with a curved transom.

Another consideration: just refurbish the wire-rope-and-pulley steering, if the new Yamaha 25-HP engine can easily be adapted to it. Most modern engines have a tiller arm to which the remote steering actuator attaches. As seen in Figure 1, a pivoting attachment called a clevis is used to avoid binding.