Viking Marine Out of Business: PTL-6, PTL-8 Circular Deck Access Plates

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
quickenberger

Viking Marine Out of Business: PTL-6, PTL-8 Circular Deck Access Plates

Postby quickenberger » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:39 am

For my 1995 SENTRY, the black circular deck access plates are cracked and worn out. I ordered white circular deck access plates from Viking Marine through Fore and Aft Marine. However, I was informed that Viking Marine closed their doors last week, and their model PTL-6 and the PTL-8 circular deck access plates are hard to come by. I was told that there may be a manufacturer that will start producing the circular deck access plates.

[Moderator's note: two threads on same topic are now combined.]

jimh

Re: Viking Marine Out of Business: PTL-6, PTL-8 Circular Deck Access Plates

Postby jimh » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:02 pm

Thanks for the news about Viking Marine closing their doors. I never realized they were the manufacturer of any circular deck access plates used on Boston Whaler boats. What boat do you have? I realize you mentioned SENTRY, but what length is the hull?

The Viking Marine website is [was] still on-line: http://www.vikingmfg.com/twistlockdeckplates.html [Now a dead domain in 2021.]

quickenberger

Re: Re: Viking Marine Out of BusinessViking Marine Out of Business: PTL-6, PTL-8 Circular Deck Access Plates

Postby quickenberger » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:55 pm

My boat is a Sentry 19.

In my discussion with the supplier, Viking Marine supplied many boat builders.

The PTL-6 is the 6-inch circular deck access plate, and the molded deck recess is about 9.75-inches.

The PTL-8 is the 8-inch circular deck access plates and the molded deck recess is almost 12-inches.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:18 am

If the experience of other OEM deck access plate or hatch makers is any guidance, and if the Viking Marine circular deck access plates were widely used, the molds will probably be bought by another company and the parts returned to production.

animaldoc

Re: Re: Viking Marine Out of BusinessViking Marine Out of Business: PTL-6, PTL-8 Circular Deck Access Plates

Postby animaldoc » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:30 pm

I found Viking Marine circular deck access plates at Marine Boating Supply.

Tacky79

Re: Viking Marine Out of BusinessViking Marine Out of Business: PTL-6, PTL-8 Circular Deck Access Plates

Postby Tacky79 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:29 pm

There is a VIKING MARINE circular deck access plate on my 2017 190 Montauk that has cracked. I need a replacement.
2017 Boston Whaler Montauk 190 w/ 150 Merc/Fish Pkg/Bowrail delete/aft seating
1979 Boston Whaler Harpoon 5.2 sailboat with sails and a tiller :D

Phil T

Re: PTL-8 HatchRe: Viking Marine Out of BusinessViking Marine Out of Business: PTL-6, PTL-8 Circular Deck Access Plates

Postby Phil T » Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:41 pm

Tacky—you are not the only one looking for these circular deck access plates made by Viking Marine.

Call Sue Lodel at Twin Cities Marine

http://www.beacontcm.com

or Nauset Marine's Parts desk

http://www.nausetmarine.com

and they can look up the replacement equivalent for a PTL-8 hatch used on a 2017 190 MONTAUK.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

Tacky79

Postby Tacky79 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:55 pm

Thanks Phil. I'll chat with Sue. She's been helpful in the past.

jimh

Re: Viking Marine Out of BusinessViking Marine Out of Business: PTL-6, PTL-8 Circular Deck Access Plates

Postby jimh » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:45 am

In 2017 any part from a 2017 boat should be easily sourced. Let readers know what replacement circular deck access plate is offered from Boston Whaler.

Bayrat723

Viking Marine PTL6 Circular Deck Access Plate Alternative

Postby Bayrat723 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:03 pm

What is a direct replacement for a VIKING MARINE PTL6 circular deck access plate as used on a 1992 25 CHALLENGER?

The VIKING MARINE PTL6 circular deck access plate fits in an approximately 7-3/16-inch [opening].

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:30 pm

I would contact Sue Lodel, Parts Manager, Twin Cities Marine http://www.beacontcm.com or Justin, parts staffer at Nauset Marine (http://www.nausetmarine.com)

Report back results for future inquiries.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

Bayrat723

Postby Bayrat723 » Mon May 03, 2021 1:05 pm

Both BEACON MARINE and NAUSET MARINE carry a drop in replacement [as in these parts will fit the existing large hole in the deck] for the 6-inch and 8-inch circular deck access plates made by Viking.

Below are images received from BEACON MARINE.

beacon1a.jpg
Fig. 1. Replacement circular deck access plate with dimensions. Underside view
beacon1a.jpg (13.06 KiB) Viewed 10666 times

beacon3a.jpg
Fig. 2. Replacement circular deck access plate with dimensions. Topside view.
beacon3a.jpg (8.63 KiB) Viewed 10666 times

[Moderator's note: a duplicate image has been eliminated. The images have been cropped to reduce excessive white space and duplication.]

fno

Postby fno » Mon May 03, 2021 10:01 pm

I went through [replacement of a circular deck access plate made by VIKING marine] recently for my 2005 210 Outrage.

Sue had exactly what would fit in the space.

IMPORTANT DIFFERENCE BETWEEN ORIGINAL AND REPLACEMENT:
The hole pattern is different so you will need to drill new holes.

I suggest fixing the circular deck access plates with 316 stainless steel machine screws fastened to Nylock nuts underneath the deck.

Pop-rivets are not up to Dick Fisher's standards--someone in Florida thought they would be okay.

pred02

Postby pred02 » Wed May 05, 2021 4:54 am

Where can a T-bar for a 6-inch Viking hatch plate in white be purchased?

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed May 05, 2021 9:10 am

pred02 wrote:Where can a T-bar for a 6-inch Viking hatch plate in white be purchased?

Four sources of replacement circular deck access plates for the Viking PTL-6 and PTL-8 are mentioned above:

• Beacon Marine
  • Nauset Marine
  • Fore and Aft Marine
  • Marine Boating Supply

I doubt you can purchase separately just a component of the circular deck access plate. You may have to buy an entire circular deck access plate replacement.

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed May 05, 2021 9:18 am

fno wrote:I suggest fixing the circular deck access plate with 316 SS [machine] screws and similar Nylock nuts underneath the deck. Pop rivets are not up to Dick Fisher's standards--someone in Florida thought they would be okay.

I used stainless steel screw fasteners as replacements for the rivets when installing new circular deck access plates on my 1990 Boston Whaler boat. I did not use machine screws and nylok nuts. I bedded the circular outer ring with a sealant, which also help hold it in place. However, I had to make new holes for the self-tapping screws as the original holes for the rivets were too large (even thought in the case of my replacement parts the hole layout was a match). I like Frank's idea of using machine screws. That would allow re-use of the existing holes. But Frank notes the hole pattern is different on the Viking replacements, and drilling new holes will be necessary. I recommend filling the old holes with epoxy resin and filler to prevent any ingress of water.

I do not see any mention of the manufacturer name for the parts available from Beacon Marine or Nauset Marine.

Also, there is no price information. Thus I have these questions:

Q1: Who is the manufacturer of the replacement circular deck access plates that are mentioned above and what are the part numbers?

Q2: What is the cost of these replacement parts.

I believe several people have bought these replacement parts, so perhaps they can answer these questions

Tacky79

Postby Tacky79 » Sat May 08, 2021 8:58 am

While on vacation in Wisconsin, I stopped to meet and chat with Sue at Beacon Marine [about replacements for the VIKING Marine PTL-8 circular deck access plates as used on a 2017 190 MONTAUK]

Sue at Beacon Marine wrote:I don’t carry these in stock, and you would have to replace the trim ring and the lid to the best of my knowledge.

I'll probably order the replacement from Beacon Marine.

I will document the replacement process.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat May 08, 2021 10:13 am

I believe what Sue at Beacon Marine said could mean one or both of two things:

--that the replacement parts being sold by Beacon Marine are not identical parts to the original VIKING Marine parts, so neither the ring alone or the cover alone could be interchanged between the two circular deck access plate assemblies, or

--that you cannot order just the outer ring alone or just the inner circular cover alone as replacement parts, you have to order the whole assembly.

We still don't have the price, nor the vendor making these parts.

pred02

Postby pred02 » Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:07 pm

Where can I get just the T-bar for a Viking Marine PTL-8 Circular Deck Access plate?

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:49 am

I believe the answer to your inquiry is already given above: Contact Sue at Beacon Marine.

Sue at Beacon Marine seems to be able to help people with replacement a TPL-8 Circular Deck Access plate. I very much doubt you can buy just a single part of the TPL-8 Circular Deck Access plate. Contact Sue by telephone. If you want to add information from Sue to this discussion, append a follow-up article to this thread.

pred02

Postby pred02 » Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:59 am

I believe the answer to your inquiry is already given above: Contact Sue at Beacon Marine.

I have contacted Sue. There are no Viking T-Bar replacements or covers. You need to replace the whole mechanism not just the cover which makes the job not worthwhile given the way its adhered to the bottom.

I now plan to find a second hand Viking TPL-8 or glue the broken T-Bar.

Q3: What other alternatives can be used to repair a broken T-bar?

plate.jpg
Fig. 3. T-bar close up, which appears to be broken.
plate.jpg (17.01 KiB) Viewed 5545 times

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:19 am

pred02 wrote:I have contacted Sue. There are no Viking T-Bar replacements or covers.
Thanks for confirming that the information already given in this discussion is still true. I think it was already clearly mentioned that there were no individual parts for the deck access plate available from the manufacturer or through his distributors.

pred02 wrote:Q3: What other alternatives can be used to repair a broken T-bar?
I think you have already postulated the two most likely methods.

With regard to use an adhesive ("glue") to joint two pieces of the T-handle: you should contact the manufacturer to see what material was used to make the molded T-bar component. Some plastics can be repaired with a strong adhesive, but often a specific type adhesive must be used with specific plastics. Also, I would consider strengthening the joint by adding a metal locating pin or perhaps two pins. An internal pin might help prevent fracture of the adhesive joint when a strong pull is applied to the T-handle.

pred02 wrote:...to replace the whole mechanism...makes the job not worthwhile given the way its adhered to the bottom.
I don't understand how you have determined the amount of adhesion between the circular deck plate access outer ring and the deck. I doubt that Boston Whaler installed the circular access deck plate outer ring in a manner that prohibits forever it being replaced.

Regarding the "worth" of replacing the entire circular access deck plate, do you have a figure for the cost of a new deck plate? Considering the cost of a newer Boston Whaler boat that uses these fittings, I cannot image that the cost of a replacement circular deck access plate would be so high as to not be worth making the repair.

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:29 am

If Figure 3 illustrates the broken T-handle of the circular deck access plate under discussion, it looks like to replace just the T-handle you would have to drive out the pin that is holding the T-handle part to a shaft that must operate the locking mechanism on the other side of the plate. Since you cannot get access to that pin with the T-bar already installed on the plate, you must need to release the shaft from the mechanism on the other side. Or perhaps there is some element of the whole assemble that does not permit that. Perhaps the components are welded together during assembly. Perhaps that is why the manufacturer does not offer just replacement T-handle parts.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:02 pm

Replacing the Access plate assembly is straightforward.

Drill out the rivets or remove the screws of the trim ring. Insert a thin putty knife on the finished deck side under the lip and gently break any seal.

Install the new ring with a bead of marine sealant (not adhesive) like Boat Life's Life Caulk or Sikaflex on the backside of the trim ring. Insert #10 x 1" oval head stainless screws.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

jimh

Postby jimh » Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:51 am

This thread began six years ago. A post was just added to announce that two used PTL-8 white circular deck access plates were for sale. The notice of an item for sale has been moved to MARKETPLACE.

This thread is now closed.