Converting a Temptation to a Center Console

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
mike

Converting a Temptation to a Center Console

Postby mike » Sat May 08, 2021 6:09 pm

I have found a good deal on a 1988 Temptation 2500 with a Whaler Drive and two low-hour 1998 Yamaha 200-HP two-stroke-power-cycle engines with electronic fuel induction that just had about $6,000 of work done because the boat had unused on a lift for many years.

This hull is one that I have always admired, but I have no desire for a cuddy cabin.

I am contemplating buying the boat and removing the Temptation cap, and making as much of an Outrage as possible.

I am not stranger to fabrication, but would appreciate any input.

jimh

Re: Converting a Temptation to a Center Console

Postby jimh » Thu May 20, 2021 7:49 am

Bad idea. Buy an OUTRAGE not a TEMPTATION.

biggiefl

Postby biggiefl » Thu May 20, 2021 9:59 am

Anything is possible. Depends on time, money and skill.
On my 24th Whaler. Currently in the stable: 86 18' Outrage, 81 13' Sport(original owner), 87 11' Sport, 69 Squall(for sale cheap).

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Thu May 20, 2021 12:33 pm

You are going to get A LOT of pushback on this.

Wrecking a classic low-volume model in decent shape is never going to win you friends.

Finding OEM parts in this market period is really hard, takes a lot of work and luck. Also buckets of money.

Do you buy a Tahoe to make it into a convertible?
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
Member since 2003

dtmackey

Postby dtmackey » Thu May 20, 2021 3:47 pm

I've seen Outrage cuddy models with the cuddy removed to provide a open bow Outrage. It's a lot of work and with a national backorder on polyester resin you may find it hard to secure materials. It would be easier to buy something that is built the way you like because a modified Whaler of that magnitude will have little appeal for most Whaler buyers when you sell it.

D-

mike

Postby mike » Fri May 21, 2021 7:17 am

I'll explain;
We've been looking for 25 Outrage with a Whaler Drive for most of the last 20 years. We are content with our 22 Outrage, so it has not been a must find item, but we've still been looking. We have not found a suitable candidate that we thought was an adequate value. Most that I've seen being a Floridian with roots in the Carolina's, have been well loved.

A good friend has owned this whaler since his father in law left it him some years ago. The father in law had it for decades before. It spent most of it's life in Canadian Lakes. It lived inside on a trailer. It has spent about a decade on a covered lift in Florida. It has gone unused for as much as 5-6 years at a time. My friend recently put nearly 8k into the temptation solving bad fuel problems from sitting for 6 years unused. This included engine work, draining and cleaning the fuel tank. He has been trying to sell it without success and leaves Florida for the summer soon. He was a little panicked that he may face the same fuel problem when he returns after the summer. His kids have grown and the 25 Temptation was too much boat for him. He just wanted it gone.

There have been two 25 foot Temptations on the market for the last several years. The one on the Gulf Coast, asking price $9800, was a a museum quality boat that sold for less than asking price after more than a year on the market.

We just purchased this Temptation from my friend yesterday and got a very good deal. Our hull is in better shape than any I have seen since the 90s. It is a big boat with about 8 foot of usable space outside of the cabin. The topside upholstery is not in good shape. The boat is not suitable for our use.

We are purist, and very unsettled about destroying a rare model and are willing to sell it to anyone desperately seeking a Temptation.

I have secured a super console and are looking for a leaning post. I have some other Outrage parts, including bow rails and hatches in storage. I am unemployed until international travel resumes and have time on my hands.

A 25 Whaler drive Outrage is our end goal boat, and I know I can make this a close proximity, and it fits my budget. There are a couple of smaller Temptations in Florida that are in my opinion, great conversions.

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri May 21, 2021 3:47 pm

If you got the Temptation for easy money, a better plan would be:

—buy an OUTRAGE 25 with a notched transom
—build up the OUTRAGE 25 to be a full transom
—take off the Whaler Drive from the Temptation
—bolt-on the Whaler Drive to the now full transom OUTRAGE 25
—sell the Temptation

Another option:
—buy an OUTRAGE 25 with notched transom
—build up the OUTRAGE 25 to be a full transom
—install an engine bracket with buoyancy box like an Armstrong Bracket

padrefigure

Postby padrefigure » Fri May 28, 2021 10:11 am

Or: buy a 27 OFFSHORE and get the same waterline length and the benefit of all that space INSIDE the boat instead of hanging off the transom.