1983 STRIPER 15 Console Restoration

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
dyoung16611

1983 STRIPER 15 Console Restoration

Postby dyoung16611 » Wed May 12, 2021 12:36 pm

The console on a 1983 STRIPER 15 seems to be fabricated from fiberglass laminates and gel coat formed in a mold and reinforced by wood to receive mounting hardware and to provide lateral stability.

Q1: what is the best method for filling old 1/4-inch to 1/2-inch-diameter screw holes in the console in areas where the laminate is only 1/16 to 1/8-inch thick?

Due to the thin laminate, simply taping the back of the holes and filling with epoxy or marine tex wouldn't produce a solid bond. Similarly, laying up glass in such a shallow hole doesn't seem feasible either.

Give me ideas on how to fill and to fair these holes in a way that will result in a solid bond.

Again referring to the console, the plywood under the top and the 2-inch x 3-inch frame around the sides and the old accessory mounts seem solid. I'll apply a healthy coat of resin throughout the inside.

The framing that touched the deck has disintegrated due to water rot, which I have ground out.

I plan to use a stainless steel or aluminum angle to mount the console to the deck. I feel as if replacing the wooded frame (after encapsulating it with resin) would allow for an easier and more flexible support for fastening.

Q2: what is the best solution to provide lateral stability around the bottom of the console?

Q3: where can plastic hawse pipes used to to trim out the starboard side hole where the steering and wire harness enters the console be purchased?

Thanks to all for your posts and the priceless info and experience shared! I am embarking on a full restoration of my Striper and need some advice in those two areas.
1983 15' Striper

jimh

Re: Restoring Console on 1983 15' Striper

Postby jimh » Wed May 12, 2021 12:50 pm

Repair advice from Boston Whaler is reproduced in HTML in the REFERENCE section at

https://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/repairInstructions.html

See the section under the heading PUNCTURES.

Adding some wood backing in some areas might he helpful.

BECKSON sells plastic hawse pipes. See

https://www.becksondirect.com/product/hawse-pipe/

dyoung16611

Re: 1983 STRIPER 15 Console Restoration

Postby dyoung16611 » Wed May 12, 2021 3:00 pm

Thank you, Jim!
1983 15' Striper

jimh

Re: 1983 STRIPER 15 Console Restoration

Postby jimh » Wed May 12, 2021 4:31 pm

Aluminum angle or channel ought to be sufficiently strong to use for the attachment of the console to the deck. Aluminum is much easier to work with than stainless steel. Use aluminum alloy of 6061-T6 or 6061-T832; it wil have excellent strength and corrosion resistance.

For a fancier installation, use a strip of wood that has been sealed with epoxy and varnished to a high gloss as a hold-down on the aluminum stock. This will dress-up the look--if there isn't already one there.

A wood trim strip hides the aluminum channel for this console's mounting.

A STRIPER 15 can also be seen in a CETACEA Page 50. VIsit

https://continuouswave.com/whaler/cetacea/cetaceaPage50.html