Mercury Electronic Shift and Throttle Control Handle as a Replacement Part

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
rwshevy

Mercury Electronic Shift and Throttle Control Handle as a Replacement Part

Postby rwshevy » Tue May 25, 2021 2:07 pm

Where can I purchase a shift-throttle lever with chrome plating as used on the electronic remote controls of a c.2005 Mercury VERADO FOURSTROKE outboard engine?

The throttle-shift lever chrome plating is peeling and causing sharp edges. I have the Mercury marine part #877741A23.
I cannot locate a handle.

Thank you.

jimh

Re: Mercury Electronic Shift and Throttle Control Handle

Postby jimh » Tue May 25, 2021 2:48 pm

A electronic rigging part for a c.2005 Mercury VERADO FOURSTROKE engine, their premium engine at the time, and a part as simple as a metal handle for remote controls, should be available from practically any authorized Mercury dealer.

If the engine was an original part of a Boston Whaler boat and sold as a package, contact your Boston Whaler dealer for advice on obtaining the engine remote control part you need.

Or, contact an authorized Mercury outboard engine dealer, but be sure to find a Mercury dealer who has been qualified to sell and has actually sold the VERADO FOURSTROKE engines. Many Mercury engine dealer did not sell the VERADO FOURSTROKE engines and probably would not be helpful in finding replacement parts for their controls.

Those engines were extraordinarily popular in the area within a 50-mile radius of Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, as back in c.2005 there were frequently reported to be seen on the water there "everywhere."

The Boston Whaler and Mercury dealer LAUDERDALE MARINE should be a good dealer to contact.

Phil T

Re: Mercury Electronic Shift and Throttle Control Handle as a Replacement Part

Postby Phil T » Tue May 25, 2021 3:21 pm

I would research the parts breakdown for the binnacle, disassemble it and have the handle re-plated or have the plating removed.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Wed May 26, 2021 10:12 am

I believe the handle is a type of plastic. I have heard of a firm that can re-coat them but don't remember who it is. I also understand the Mercury solution is to replace the binnacle assembly.
Butch

vtvfr

Postby vtvfr » Wed May 26, 2021 10:33 am

Unfortunately I have the same problem with my [remote engine shift and throttle] lever. The replacement part # 877741A23 has been discontinued by Mercury, as has the complete "slim" [top-mounting remote control] #896609A01. The lever does appear to be metal, so it could possibly be re-chromed. Otherwise it seems the only option would be a complete newer generation [top-mounting remote control assembly] from Mercury.

I assume the new [remote engine shift and throttle control] would be compatible with the existing engine and Smartcraft network, but I do not know that for a fact.

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed May 26, 2021 11:29 am

I am shocked that the replacement part is not available.

Phil's suggestion to disassemble the remote shift and throttle control, remove the lever, and refinish it in some manner to remove sharp edges from the failing plating sounds like a better solution than replacing the entire remote control assembly.

With electronic controls there could be conflicts in software if using a 2021 model control on a 2005 engine. Software engineers always like to add new features, fix bugs, and make improvements, but not necessary maintain backward compatibility.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Thu May 27, 2021 8:58 am

I would check with MarineMax as they have several Boston Whaler dealerships. Their computer system can do a search of all parts inventories nation-wide in a few seconds. There is some chance the part is sitting on a shelf and can be shipped to you.

Good luck.
Butch

rwshevy

Postby rwshevy » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:46 am

Thank you for your suggestions. Certainly a difficult part to locate. Will most likely have it replated at end of season.