Rage 15 Oil Alarm

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Jkoblen

Rage 15 Oil Alarm

Postby Jkoblen » Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:48 pm

I have recently acquired [a 1996–ALWAYS USE FOUR DIGITS FOR YEAR] RAGE 15.

The engine was running fine when the oil alarm came on.

BEEP BEEP BEEP

How can I see if the oil pump is giving the right amount?

I do not think [the cause of the engine alarm] is a NO OIL situation: there is oil in in reserve [oil tank], and I checked that [the oil is], at least, flowing from the reserve [oil tank to somewhere else unmentioned].

The engine was started with the boat on the trailer with a hose hook-up.

Then, later—maybe not even related—I wanted to run a test, but now I can’t even get the key start to give me a beep or show battery in the ON position.

I thought perhaps something was left on and ran down the battery—but that isn’t the case.

[Could a] loose connection somewhere [cause the problem]?

The wires look like a rat’s nest.

Is [the cause of the no-start situation a result of the engine having gone into] some kind of shutdown mode due to the oil alarm coming on?

THabks in advance for any hints.

jimh

Re: Rage 15 Oil Alarm

Postby jimh » Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:16 am

The problem with failure to have electrical power at the ignition key switch is very, very unlikely to have been caused by the occurrence of an oil alarm or due to the engine having gone into a protective mode.

You need to remedy the lack of electrical power at the ignition key switch.

Typically the circuit that provides power at the ignition key switch from the boat battery is protected by a 10-Ampere fuse in the wiring harness at the engine.

Identify the manufacturer of the engine.

The engine sounds like it is a two-stroke-power-cycle engine, and it uses a remote oil tank to hold the lubricating oil to be mixed with gasoline at the engine.

If you plan to work on the engine yourself, you must get the OEM service manual. Without the manual and some mechanical background you won’t get far.

The OEM manual will show the electrical wiring. Generally the wiring is very simple and straightforward. If the wiring has the appearance of a “rat’s nest” then perhaps some one has gotten into it and disturbed the original configuration. I doubt that Boston Whaler manufactured the boat with the electrical wiring in disarray.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:35 pm

For help in finding electrical wiring faults causing problems with engine cranking, read my comprehensive analysis of possible circuit discontinuities at

https://continuouswave.com/whaler/refer ... Start.html

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:36 pm

For help with ignition key switch wiring see my article at

https://continuouswave.com/whaler/refer ... witch.html

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:38 pm

For help interpreting aural warning horn signals read my article on that topic at

https://continuouswave.com/whaler/refer ... gnals.html