c.1960 13-footer Soft Deck

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
coffeekingofct

c.1960 13-footer Soft Deck

Postby coffeekingofct » Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:59 pm

I just obtained for free a c.1960 13-footer with trailer. The [cockpit deck] is super squishy everywhere.

This boat sat in a guy’s yard in Boston uncovered for 25-years, and before that it was face down in someone's yard that he got it from.

There are a few drills holes in the [cockpit deck] so water is definitely in there.

Into one of the larger diameter holes a screwdriver shaft can be pushed down 6-inches; and from the hole squishes blacken foam.

This is my first Boston Whaler boat. I am ready to put in work.

I have seen demonstrations using sprayed-in foam, and that seems easy enough.

Q1: Will [sprayed-in foam] work with this boat?

Q2: is this boat is worth the time to spray in the foam, sand, paint, power?

Q3: does this boat have too much damage [to allow repairs to be done]?

The boat [appears in this presentation shot with the camera held incorrectly and lots of rapid camera movement]:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_u1uQYYjvY

jimh

Re: c.1960 13-footer Soft Deck

Postby jimh » Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:21 am

Ask your self: do you really want a boat to use and go boating this season, or do you just want a very long project?

To assess the boat, cover any holes in the hull, and put the boat in the water to see how it floats. Look at the water line of the boat compared to the suggested waterline shown in the owner's manual. If you don't have an owner's manual, you can use my HTML version at

https://continuouswave.com/whaler/refer ... ml#bottom'

It is for a later model, but it may give you an idea of how the boat ought to float when the hull is dry.

Also, view this CETACEA page:

https://continuouswave.com/whaler/cetac ... age30.html

You’ll see an older boat with the deck completely removed at the start of a restoration project. That boat was in a similar condition: water in the foam.

Also read the FAQ answer to this frequently asked question:

Q3: Is There Water in the Hull?
Answer at: https://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/FAQ/#Q3

One method for drying out the hull: put the hull indoors in a warm room—like a furnace room—for about ten years to dry out. Weight the hull at the present, and re-weight after every year. When the weight lost each year declines to an asymptotic curve, begin restoration.

ConB

Postby ConB » Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:03 am

Is it really a Whaler?
Con
!987 Outrage 18 / 2011 Yamaha F150
1969 13 / 30hp Johnson tiller

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:39 am

Con - What makes you suspect it isn't a Boston Whaler? The sump?
Butch

ConB

Postby ConB » Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:06 pm

There is no bulk head forward of the transom.
I don’t know what a 1959/1960 13’ looked like.
Con
!987 Outrage 18 / 2011 Yamaha F150
1969 13 / 30hp Johnson tiller

coffeekingofct

Postby coffeekingofct » Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:51 pm

I thought it is a whaler but it may not be. There are no markings on the boat whatsoever.

I just weighed the boat and the hull alone is roughly 520lb. I figure it should be around 300lbs dry so there’s an extra 220lbs of water (27.5 gallons)

I’m thinking about opening up the floor. Taking the wet foam out. Building some stringers and epoxy and fiberglass them in and filling the rest with foam. I’ve heard this has been done but haven’t seen any specifics on adding a stringers to a whaler. I know removing the foam gets rid of the unibody strength but the strength is already gone because the deck fiberglass is not attached to the foam. It’s probably a bigger project than I imagine.

Does anyone know of any threads or videos where stringers were added to the whaler? I’ve seen where people just replace the foam but I’m aware this may not be strong enough.