130 SPORT Engine Installation

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
jimprib

130 SPORT Engine Installation

Postby jimprib » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:35 pm

I have a 2004 130 SPORT with a 2004 Mercury 25-HP BIGFOOT. My buddy has a 2002 130 SPORT with a 2002 Mercury 40-HP.

My buddy plans to sell his 2002 130 SPORT. He will do me a favor: swap engines so I get the 40-HP and my 25-HP goes on the boat to be sold.

Q1: [will the engine exchange be] a simple disconnect and reconnect?

Q2: Are [there] any changes to the electrical system [between the two engines]?

[Give] advice on how to swap the two engines.

Q3: [Are there Mercury] installation manuals?

jimh

Re: 130 SPORT Engine Installation

Postby jimh » Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:42 am

jimprib wrote:Q1: [will the engine exchange be] a simple disconnect and reconnect?

Bring the two engines side-by-side. Remove the engine cowlings. Compare the remote shift and throttle control cables and their fittings. Compare all the engine electrical harness cables and their connectors.

From this comparison you should be able to deduce if the engine change will require any additional work.

jimprib wrote:Q2: Are [there] any changes to the electrical system [between the two engines]?

Look for any markings on one engine that denote "Smartcraft" that are not seen on the other engine. Other than Smartcraft features, I would anticipate that the 12-Volt electrical systems on both engines will be very similar.

jimprib wrote:Q3: [Are there Mercury] installation manuals?

I am not aware of any publications from Mercury that are available to the public that describe the installation and check-out procedures used with Mercury engines. A factory-published SERVICE MANUAL might have details about the rigging. Having a factory service manual for your outboard engine is always a good idea, even if you only make cursory use of it for routine maintenance.

jimprib

Re: 130 SPORT Engine Installation

Postby jimprib » Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:18 pm

Great, thanks for your advice jimh!