Starting 1976 Evinrude 40 After Storage

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Dive96

Starting 1976 Evinrude 40 After Storage

Postby Dive96 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:47 pm

At the end of 2020 I purchased a 1978 Sport 13 with an originial Evinrude 40-HP engine. The engine was running when I garaged it for the winter in a heated garage.

I did not do anything before storing it—I should have—and now I am trying to starts the engine and get it running for the 2021 summer.

Give me advice on what [procedures or service] I should perform on the engine in order to get it to start and rub.

I am a novice with outboards, but handy with automobiles.

I've charged the battery. The engine cranks over, but it won’t start.

I will replace the spark [plugs].

Q1: should fuel filter be changed?

Q2: could the carburetor[s] be clogged with old gas from sitting over the winter?

Q3: what annual maintenance should be done?

Q4: could the points be [the cause on the no start]?

Q5: should the year-old gasoline be discarded?

Q6: should I get a new [fuel] tank?

Q7: does the fuel filter need to be cleaned every year?

Q8: does the fuel filter need to be replaced every year?

Q9: how are carburetors cleaned?

Thanks

Don SSDD

Re: 1976 Evinrude 40 Need to get up and running

Postby Don SSDD » Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:15 am

I’d first check everything to do with the fuel tanks and lines, check for dirt in the tank and any filters that are visible. How old is the rubber fuel line and bulb? When you pump the bulb, does it get hard?

How fouled were the old plugs?

You should have used a fuel stabilizer for winter storage and fogged the engine, checked the quality of the gear oil in the lower unit and or replaced it.

How did it run last season?

At some point, you may want to check the thermostat and replace if needed and also check the carb float bowls for gunk or dirt.

I’m not familiar with this particular Evinrude but I’ve worked on an old 90 and 130, both early 1990’s, others more familiar with you outboard may add to this.
1986 Outrage 18 with 2001 Honda 130 HP
Former Owner 1991 Guardian 19 with 1994 Evinrude V4 140HP
Former owner 1987 Montauk with 1998 Mercury 90HP
Nova Scotia

jimh

Re: Starting 1976 Evinrude 40 After Storage

Postby jimh » Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:51 pm

Get the owner’s manual for the engine. It will give instructions for the starting procedure. Your lack of engine start may just be due to poor starting procedure.

Fuel that won't be used for six months should be treated with a FUEL STABILIZER ADDITIVE AT TIME OF PURCHASE.

Gasoline will evaporate from carburetor bowls if left sitting in a heated area for six months.

Two-stroke-power-cycle outboard engines with more than one cylinder [usually] have a carburetor for each cylinder, and they have magneto ignition. There usually are no breaker points in outboard engines—unless they are really ancient.

Get a book on classic two-stroke-power-cycle engine service. The forum is not able to teach you everything you don’t know about outboard engine operation, maintenance, and repair.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:21 pm

Read

Assessing Used Outboard Engines
https://continuouswave.com/whaler/refer ... Check.html

in the REFERENCE Section.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:27 pm

To test spark buy a Lisle in-line spark tester, about $12.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:35 pm

Learn how to use the primer bulb as a diagnostic tool; learn where the primer bulb should be installed; learn how the primer bulb should be oriented:

https://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/primer.html

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:37 pm

If you intend to do repairs or routine maintenance on an outboard engine, buy the OEM service manual.

The OEM service manual will give a detailed and illustrated procedure for carburetor removal, disassembly, cleaning, reassembly with some new components, re-installation, and re-calibration that is specific to the brand, model, horsepower, and year of your engine.

goldstem

Postby goldstem » Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:54 am

This particular engine, despite having two cylinders, has but one carburetor. Not all two-stroke-power-cycle outboard engines have one carburetor or even one carburetor throat per cylinder.

This engine also has spark ignition coil breaker points under the flywheel. The ignition system has external spark coils, but the [generation of electrical power is from a permanent magnet alternator] and is still basically a magneto system.

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:19 am

Small outboard engines generally have always used a permanent magnet alternator to generate their electrical power so they did not need a battery connected in order to operate.

At only 20-HP per cylinder I suppose one carburetor could supply enough fuel-air for two cylinders.

The engine was running in 2020. Trouble starting in 2021 is likely related to a problem with the fuel-air mix ratio, the starting procedure, the gasoline vapor pressure, or other non-electrical problems.

Poor priming, stuck needle valves, poor throttle setting, or insufficient fuel-air-enrichment ratio can all prevent a simple two-stroke-power-cycle carburetor-fuel-induction magneto-ignition engine from starting. A simple engine like this in good tune and following the proper procedure should start on the first pull.

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:22 am

A flywheel that has been in place for 45 years may be firmly retained. If the flywheel must be removed to access the spark coil ignition breaker points, that task may be difficult.

Oldslowandugly

Postby Oldslowandugly » Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:05 am

While OMC used electronic ignition as early as 1971, it was not standard until 1977. So there are points under the flywheel. I would start there since you don't know how old they are.

As Jim stated, removing the flywheel can be a problem. I use a big automotive pulley removal tool and a big hammer. It usually breaks free with a loud scary bang. Of course they may be fine.

To find out you need to remove the spark plugs and hold the high tension leads near a good ground. If you get a big blue spark then the points are probably OK.

If so then re-install some NEW spark plugs and try to start.

Make sure the choke is working properly.

Try squirting some gasoline into the carburetor throat.

If the engine starts and runs well you are lucky.

If the engine starts and runs poorly, take the carburetor apart. Be sure it is clean and in good working order. [Put carburetor together: reinstall carburetor.
Last edited by Oldslowandugly on Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:05 pm

Once you take the carburetor apart, the cost for a professional mechanic to fix the problem will increase by about $500.

Give some consideration to this effect before you start working on the engine yourself based on what you read on an Internet forum.

Oldslowandugly

Postby Oldslowandugly » Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:05 pm

The OP hasn't gotten to the carb rebuild requirement yet. The engine has to start first.

If the OP has no skills or tools then the engine should be sent to a shop.

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:13 am

Try some of the advice given.

[Thread closed]