Seafoam Testimonials

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Don SSDD

Seafoam Testimonials

Postby Don SSDD » Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:44 am

I use Sea Foam fuel additive in the fuel once or twice a year, it helps clean out varnish in the engine and carbs.

I have used Sea Foam in all my carbureted engines for 20 years, along with ethanol free fuel. It is a good fuel stabilizer and also removes varnish type deposits from carburetors and valves. I have a 20 year old chainsaw, 15 year old ride on mower, the carb on my 1963 car has not been touched in the 15 years I’ve owned it, nor have any of the above listed equipment’s carburetors. My old 1987 truck had a 2 barrel Holley and every year or so it would develop a hesitation, a dose of Sea Foam and it worked great for another year or so. Owned the truck for 10 years, never had the Holley apart.
1986 Outrage 18 with 2001 Honda 130 HP
Former Owner 1991 Guardian 19 with 1994 Evinrude V4 140HP
Former owner 1987 Montauk with 1998 Mercury 90HP
Nova Scotia

jimh

Re: Seafoam Testimonials

Postby jimh » Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:57 am

I cannot offer any endorsement of Seafoam because I have never used the product. The reason I have never used the product is the manufacturers of all the outboard engines I own or have owned have never published a recommendation to use that product.

There are shelves full of magic elixirs that are promoted as being essential for proper engine maintenance by adding the product to gasoline fuel, but typically no engine manufacturer recommends their use.

Ethanol-gasoline blended fuel is already a strong solvent, so adding your own blend of additional alcohols seems unlikely to produce a miraculous benefit—other than to the seller of the product.

Vance's Revenge

Re: Seafoam Testimonials

Postby Vance's Revenge » Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:20 pm

My river boat has a 1992 Johnson GT 200 on it that I bought new. As soon as the warranty ran out I disconnected the VRO and began premixing my fuel. I run a jet on this motor the majority of each year and guided Salmon with it until 2008 so it has been run hard. Jets are so inefficient they work these motors hard and none of my friends that used a jet pump on their outboards and continued utilizing the VRO made it; all of them had premature power head failures.

Just a few months ago I had my mechanic do a leak down test on this motor and he was amazed how good the compression is. All but 2 cylinders are less than 7% and the other two are less than 10% leak down. A few years ago the motor began to get real difficult to start in the mornings. I assumed the motor was on its last days and started using starting fluid on the initial start in the morning to save work on the starter. Then, I started running a heavy load of Seafoam in the fuel. Within a few trips I couldn't believe the change and it soon began to start like it was new. I did nothing to the motor except add the Seafoam. I have never seen an additive make this much of a difference.
The only problem with Seafoam is the price. Pre-mixed fuel requires 2 ounces per gallon of Seafoam just for maintenance and more for cleaning. These V-6 motors have a 3/8" fuel line for a reason and drink fuel like mad. Compounded by the exceptional high rpm needed for the jet drive. So the cost made me make a change.

Last year I switched to Chevron Techron because it only requires 1 ounce as a cleaner/carbon guard per 10 gallons and serves as a stabilizer for up to two years as well.. I have no clue if it will keep carbon down as well as the Seafoam did. But it is way less expensive to run. I'm sold on Seafoam. It has proved itself. If I have to do a Seafoam Flush annually for maintenance I will do it.