NAUSET 16: Re-bedding glass panes in console windshield

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
EricR77

NAUSET 16: Re-bedding glass panes in console windshield

Postby EricR77 » Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:03 pm

Hi All,

I've been making progress on my 1966 Boston Whaler Nauset project. Refinishing the original mahogany center console has taken a little longer than expected, but I am happy with how the results are coming out.

The previous owner had removed the four panes of glass from the windshield frame, so I have to put the pieces back together without knowing how they originally looked. I'm getting close to the point of assembling the console and am seeking tips on how to properly install the glass. I have the original gaskets that I plan to clean up and reuse.

Q1: What should I used as a bedding compound for the glass?

Based off of the residual gunk I needed to clean out of the wooden groove in the windshield , it seems like I need to use a bedding compound to seal the glass between the gasket and the groove. Based off of my research I have narrowed it down to 3M4200, 3M4000 UV, or Dow Corning 791 clear silicon.

Q2: Is there a recommended order of operation for reinstalling the windows?

3). What is the correct orientation of the gasket? My guess (shown in pic 2) is the longer side of the gasket goes into the groove, with the other side of the gasket facing the outside of the windshield. This seems pretty obvious, but I just want to double check my logic.

Picture 1: One of the used gaskets. Longer side on the right, "other side" on the left

Picture 2: How I think the gasket should be placed. Also assuming this is the gap where I should put the bedding compound

-Eric

Phil T

Re: NAUSET 16: Re-bedding glass panes in console windshield

Postby Phil T » Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:55 pm

That does not appear to be the correct gasket. See photo below for reference.

Petro Plastics
450 South Ave.
Garwood, NJ 07027
Bill Gathercole 800-486-4738
Attachments
gasket.jpg
gasket.jpg (157.51 KiB) Viewed 2835 times
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003