2000 Evinrude 115 FICHT

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Wolverine

2000 Evinrude 115 FICHT

Postby Wolverine » Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:48 pm

In August 2021 I bought a 2000 Dauntless [of UNDEFINED model length--PLEASE give the model designator with length] with a model -year-2000 Evinrude 115-HP FICHT direct-injection two-stroke-power-cycle engine.

I did my best to test out everything, and I had lengthy discussions with the owner who had the owned the for 15 years.

I am having a problems with the model year 2000 Evinrude FICHT 115-HP direct-injection two-stroke-power-cycle engine.

When the model year 2000 Evinrude FICHT 115-HP direct-injection two-stroke-power-cycle engine is started, the engine stops running as often as 15 times before the engine will stay running.

Once running, the 2000 Evinrude FICHT 115-HP direct-injection two-stroke-power-cycle engine will not [accelerate to more than]
2,800-RPM.

Looking through the paperwork on the boat, the seller had just had it serviced in July 2021 at Lockeman's Hardware and Boat in Detroit, Michigan.

I called Lockeman's and [someone there] said they did not recall any other problems with the engine; it was diagnosed as having a bad #3 Injector, which they replaced with a used one as new FICHT injectors are no longer manufactured.

I do have an appointment to go back to Locheman's--it's a nine-hour round-trip for us.

The first time I took it out, the Evinrude FICHT 115-HP direct-injection two-stroke-power-cycle engine ran rough, hiccupped, and then ran perfectly.

The second time we had it out, the Evinrude FICHT 115-HP direct-injection two-stroke-power-cycle engine sounded awful, as if it were running on three cylinders. I checked the spark plugs, the fuel filter, the oil, and so on.

Q1: What am I missing?

In the meanwhile, if anybody has any experience with the Evinrude FICHT 115-HP direct-injection two-stroke-power-cycle engine and can offer any advice, please do so.

[Moderator's note: the spelling of FICHT and Lockeman's has been corrected throughout this post.]

Phil T

Re: 2000 Evinrude 115 Fitch

Postby Phil T » Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:11 pm

I doubt anyone here will be able to give you productive advice.

While it is unfortunate you are having problems with your new-to-you boat, know that Doug and David Zammit at Lockeman's are truly respected for their factory certified expertise and customer service.

They are known as one of the Evinrude dealers in the country.

I drove 10 hour-round-trip from Kentucky to purchase a new E-TEC 90 and have them install it; I speak from experience.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

jimh

Re: 2000 Evinrude 115 FICHT

Postby jimh » Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:34 pm

Lockeman's Hardware & Boats is an excellent Evinrude service dealer. They have the highest level of factory training, and have many decades of experience in servicing Evinrude engines, including the FICHT models.

Their dealership is a bit awkward to reach at this moment due to massive construction in the area related to the building of a new international bridge that will link Detroit and Windsor, Ontario. I recommend you contact Lockeman's to get up-to-date routing on how to get to their shop. Many of the major roads around them are shut down due to the bridge construction.

I have owned two Evinrude engines, and they have always been serviced by Lockeman's in outstanding fashion.

The behavior of the engine you describe in your narrative sounds like a problem with fuel delivery to the engine. If the fuel system on the boat dates from 2000, there could be problems in fuel delivery.

You should observe the behavior of the in-line fuel hose primer bulb during engine operation. For advice on how to use the primer bulb as a diagnostic indicator of the fuel system, see my article on that topic at:

A Primer on Primers
https://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/primer.html

No engine runs well with fuel system deliver problems.

Roamad

Postby Roamad » Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:11 pm

I went through something similar with a totally different engine recently. The [cause of an undescribed] problem turned out to be a sensor on the engine that was simply disconnected. Even the shop I paid $500 to look at the problem didn’t detect this. I’m guessing a prior technician left it disconnected by accident.

Look at the engine carefully yourself in search of obvious problems. You may be surprised. Often difficult problems have simple solutions.

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:48 am

Advice to make a careful visual inspection is very good advice, particularly for problems the might be electrical in nature. One can often discover problems in electrical circuits by making a very careful visual inspection of them, including using some magnification.

I can think of two instances in my own history of using outboard engines where the cause of a significant problem with the engine operation was found as a result of my own investigation using a careful visual inspection. In one instance, a spark plug boot has become loose and there was no longer a connection between the plug and the wire; in another case the engine safety lanyard had become very slightly dislodged from the normal position, causing a no start condition. I found both of those problem myself.

As for connectors becoming loose, the trailering of a boat on the highway or using the boat in rough seas can add a lot of motion and rapid deceleration to wiring and connections, resulting in something becoming loose or partially disconnected.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:35 am

We owned a 1999 Dauntless 16 powered by a 1999 Evinrude FICHT engine for about ten years. The spark plugs used in that engine must be the exact type specified and they must be indexed per Evinrude specs. Damage can be caused by using the wrong spark or improperly indexed spark plugs.

Use of the proper Evinrude oil is also important to minimize carbon build up in the combustion chamber and on spark plugs.

That Lockeman's serviced the engine recently minimizes the chance that you are having spark plug or improper oiling problems. But, as you removed and reinstalled a spark plug you will want to be comfortable that it was properly indexed when reinstalled.

If the fuel line has never been replaced on your 21 year old engine you should consider replacing it. The fuel line primer bulb on our engine was always firm unless the engine had not been operated for several weeks.

Our engine never required servicing except for routine items such as water pumps and spark plugs. We did return it to the dealer for at least one software update. Again, as your engine was serviced by Lockemans, it is likely any software updates have been installed.
Butch