Garelick Auxiliary Engine Bracket

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
SteveLeBard

Garelick Auxiliary Engine Bracket

Postby SteveLeBard » Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:26 am

Q1: Will a Garelick auxiliary engine mount designed for 7.5 to 12-HP two-stroke-power-cycle engines [shown below] work for a Yamaha 6-HP four-stroke-power-cycle engine?

Q2: What are other option for mounting a Yamaha 6-HP four-stroke-power-cycle engine to the transom of a 1993 DAUNTLASS [of undesignated length and other than using the bracket shown below]?

bracket.jpg
Fig. 1. Auxiliary engine mounting bracket believed to be a Garelick model designed for 7.5 to 12-HP engines using two-stroke-power-cycle design.
bracket.jpg (16.65 KiB) Viewed 1942 times

BACKSTORY ABOUT THE BOAT
I bought a 1993 Dauntless [of undesignated length] with a Yamaha 70-HP main engine. This boat came with a Garelick [auxiliary engine'] mount bracket. I think the Garelick auxiliary engine mount model is one for 7.5 to 12-HP two-stroke-power-cycle engines. The boat is used mostly in saltwater. The 6-HP engine will be used as backup propulsion power.

jimh

Re: Garelick Auxiliary Engine Bracket

Postby jimh » Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:55 am

I infer from your question that your concern is in regard to the weight of the 6-HP engine. To determine the maximum weight rating for the auxiliary engine mounting bracket, contact the manufacturer. Then compare the maximum engine weight for the bracket with the weight of the new engine.

Since the bracket is rated for 12-HP, I would infer that use of a 6-HP engine would not be a problem with regard to the power rating of the mounting bracket.

When asking questions which involve the weight of an engine, please give readers the weight of the engines that are the subjects of your questions.

When mentioning Boston Whaler boats, please give the model length in addition to the model name and the model year.

SteveLeBard

Re: Garelick Auxiliary Engine Bracket

Postby SteveLeBard » Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:06 pm

My concern is not so much the weight of my 6 HP Yamaha 4-Stroke (20” shaft 61 lbs) but the torque of a 4-Stroke vs a 2-Stroke.

1993 15’ Dauntless w/70 HP 2-Stroke Yamaha.