1975 Johnson 85-HP Power Trim Actuator Sending Unit

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Dahsboat

1975 Johnson 85-HP Power Trim Actuator Sending Unit

Postby Dahsboat » Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:52 am

Where can I buy a power trim-tilt actuator sending unit for a 1975 Johnson 85-HP engine?
Any help would be appreciated. The original power trim-tilt actuator sending unit has stripped plastic threads; a ball and spring are missing.

0172574 Sending unit.jpg
Fig. 1. [There was no caption for this image. This image is from the vendor's website and illustrates the components included in his product as identified by the number in the photo.]
0172574 Sending unit.jpg (19.14 KiB) Viewed 1892 times

Those parts are not available at MarineEngine.com in their part kit 172574.
[Moderator's note: I believe the meaning intended is that part kit 172574 is no longer available from that vendor.]

Thanks--Scott

jimh

Re: 1975 Johnson 85-HP Power Trim Actuator Sending Unit

Postby jimh » Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:40 pm

I looked at the BRP on-line listing of repair parts, but for a 1975 Johnson 85-HP engine model 85ESL75E 1975 there is no information about a power trim and tilt assembly listed.

Your best resource is to contact a long-time OMC dealer who is old enough to be familiar with a 1975 engine. Or, locate a website that specializes in antique outboard engines.

Perhaps these ideas may help:
  • the "ball" is probably a standard size steel ball bearing and might be found at a hardware store with a big selection of miscellaneous hardware--often arranged in several hundred drawers;
  • the "spring" might also be found at a hardware;
  • depending on the composition of the plastic part, you might be able to fill the threaded portion with an epoxy resin and re-cut the threads if the threads are in a mounting boss. Some plastics—usually ultra-high molecular weight plastics--are very difficult to bond with epoxy so there may be no choice. If the plastic part is a machine screw, you perhap could replace it with a metal machine screw, or find a non-metal screw to replace it.

Also, I do not see any plastic threaded parts in Figure 1.

jimh

Re: 1975 Johnson 85-HP Power Trim Actuator Sending Unit

Postby jimh » Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:54 pm

I am confused about the purpose of the part being sought.

Is the part some sort of trim position sending unit to be connected electrically to a gauge?