Mold and Mildew removal on foam seat cushions

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Drick

Mold and Mildew removal on foam seat cushions

Postby Drick » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:25 am

What is the best way to remove Mold and Mildew from the foam seat inserts.
210 Dauntless 2019
Thanks,
Rick

Jefecinco

Re: Mold and Mildew removal on foam seat cushions

Postby Jefecinco » Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:48 am

The first thing would be to remove the inserts and completely dry them in direct sunlight. While the inserts are drying turn the vinyl covers inside out and get rid of the mold on the inside. A very weak solution of water and bleach should get the job done. Follow by thorough rinsing followed by a good vinyl cleaner conditioner to maintain softness and pliability.

Once the inserts are completely dry it will be time to begin cleaning. I would try using a vacuum cleaner to eliminate as much mold as possible. Chemical cleaning may do more damage than good. I would seriously consider replacing the inserts with a like quality and density of latex foam. A good upholstery shop should be able to help you find what you need. The cost should not be nearly as high as would be the cost of replacing the entire cushion with new.

To prevent future damage consider removing all the cushions from your Dauntless between uses. I have followed this practice since 1999 and have never had a mold problem with the three Boston Whalers we have owned since that time.
Butch

Drick

Re: Mold and Mildew removal on foam seat cushions

Postby Drick » Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:16 pm

thank you for your advice