1996 Outrage II and 2002 19 Justice fuel tank dimensions

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
StoneCollector

1996 Outrage II and 2002 19 Justice fuel tank dimensions

Postby StoneCollector » Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:24 pm

I have two boats, [a 1996 OUTRAGE II of undefined length and a 2002 19 JUSTICE]. Both need replacement fuel tanks. [Both boats have] Florida Marine Tanks, models FMT-54A-BW and FMT-87A-BW.

I have contacted FMT. I have a quote of $900 and $1400, and $300 shipping each. I'm located in Maryland.

Q1: what are the fuel tank dimensions [for the two fuel tanks mentioned above]?
Q2: where can detailed drawing for building [the two fuel tanks mentioned above] be found?

I plan to hire a local builder.

I have not pulled either fuel tank.

I may also use a poly tank.

I know I will have to make modifications [to the hull in order to use a fuel tank made of] poly. I would settle for less [fuel tank] volume.

I have heard there may be some factory recommended modifications to help with tank rot.

Thank—Bill

jimh

Re: 1996 Outrage II and 2002 19 Justice fuel tank dimensions

Postby jimh » Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:08 pm

StoneCollector wrote:Q1: what are the fuel tank dimensions [for the two fuel tanks mentioned above]?
FMT generally does not give away information on their fuel tank designs, as one might expect for a manufacturer of a fuel tank. I don't think the costs for FMT fuel tanks are particularly high. If you want an OEM replacement tank, the best source is FMT.

StoneCollector wrote: Q2: where can detailed drawing for building [the two fuel tanks mentioned above] be found?
The resource you seek is not available on CONTINUOUSWAVE.COM. For a list of drawings available for free download that can be found on CONTINUOUSWAVE.COM, visit the page at:

Drawings of Boston Whaler Components Available Online
https://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/drawings.html

CONTINUOUSWAVE.COM does not attempt to index the entire web to locate resources. A really good method to find resources that are NOT available on CONTINUOUSWAVE.COM is to use the search index at BING.COM.

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:44 pm

StoneCollector wrote:I have heard there may be some factory recommended modifications to help with tank rot.
The OEM fuel tanks are made from aluminum sheet and welded together. I do not understand what would "rot." A 25-year-old aluminum fuel tank used in a boat that has been exposed to a lot of ingress of water--particularly saltwater--into the area of the boat that holds the tank might develop a leak, but I would not characterize the cause of the leak as being due to rot. A leaking aluminum fuel tank is probably caused by corrosion and erosion of the tank metal or its weldments.

I have not heard of any factory recommended modifications. Please give more details about the factory recommended modifications that allow use of fuel tanks made of "poly" to replace OEM fuel tanks made of aluminum. I am sure readers would be interested to get this factory recommendation.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:30 pm

All owners who do not use FMT for a replacement tank, provide the existing tank or measurements they take for fabricating the new tank.

There are no readily available plastic tanks that will fit the cavities of either model.

Foaming in the tanks by the factory led to many failures (~20-25 years). If you skip the foam installation of the tank and including an air gap will help the tanks last longer.

I recall both models have a fuel cavity drain. Annual flushing of the tank cavity with fresh water will help.

The general estimate for a custom tank pre-covid was $10 per gallon of capacity. Not sure what it is now.

The FMT price for the 1996 Outrage 19 II, (the only Outrage II model of that era) and the 2002 Justice 19 (based on post-classic 1996-1998 Outrage 19 III) is decent in my opinion.

Given the relatively short distance from Florida Marine's factory in Henderson, NC to Maryland, I would go with tanks from FMT.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003