2008 150 Sport Minn Kota Quick Release MKA-21

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
wldrns1

2008 150 Sport Minn Kota Quick Release MKA-21

Postby wldrns1 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:56 pm

Before I proceed, I'd like a second opinion.
Some Info:
Installing Terrova 55 with Quick Release MKA-21
I do not have a bow rail. Side rails only. Fresh Water use only.
I have never had a piece of phenolic in my hands so can't judge it's integrity.

Does anyone know if Richlite was the phenolic manufacturer for that used in my model year? I could get samples to test. Richlite not mentioned here in New Forum, just the Old. I see a 1/2" piece in bow location 'E'. Same is also used for ladder at 'ZA' and bow cleat 'G'. Model diagrams both show 1/4-20 at these locations. Any thoughts on suitability of using the 3/8" phenolic bow locations?

My manual pg 2-6 says 'Drill & Tap' for trolling motor bow install. Minn Kota MKA-21 uses nuts underdeck for attachment of the Inner Plate.
I contacted both Whaler and Minn Kota for install suggestions/details. Not complaining but each party referred me to the other. Neither wanted to get involved. Unfortunately, not helpful.

I'm hoping to mount the MKA-21 Inner Plate permanently to the the bow step area (have to raise it with a 1/2" Starboard plate due to the rub rail). Per my manual, the bow is reinforced for this purpose. I'm surprised at the lack of help from both OEM's. I talked with front line customer service people at each. Each did ask other people but sadly no suggestions. I did read this and Whaler Central Forums but not finding answers there.

Any Center Plate mounting suggestions (hole size/fastener type/0.5 vs 0.375 phenolic) would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thx,
Joe