1988 Super Sport 15: Restoration / Restomod

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Schuyler84

Postby Schuyler84 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:19 pm

Current status: After six months of restoration, my 1988 Super Sport 15 is finally complete--and just in time to lay-up the boatfor the winter.

With some effort, I was able to get in 20-hours-engine-time before the season ended, permitting me to perform the 20-hour service before winterizing the boat.

This is the dream boat of my youth. I have always admired the lines and the rich appearance of finished mahogany interior components of these classic Boston Whaler skiffs. These classic Whalers have nostalgic souls which the purely fiberglass hulls lack

Here are some photos of the restoration and fishing mods for my classic Boston Whaler skiff. I have added links ( https://continuouswave.com/forum/viewto ... 467#p39462 ) to the items used within this restoration to the end of this thread.

Here's to an early spring in 2022

March 2021, when it all began: A "diamond in the rough". This 1988 Super Sport 15 was purchased to replace my 1987 Super Sport 13. This was a single owner, fresh water boat--a true barn find. As such, the boat had great potential for restoration and to receive the same, and receive fishing and usability modifications which I had made to my 1987 Super Sport 13.

a.jpg
Fig. 1. The boat as purchased.
a.jpg (177.76 KiB) Viewed 10801 times

While under the original ownership, a tree had fallen on the boat, causing significant damage to the outboard, bending the railing, and causing minor spider cracks to gel coat beneath the starboard side casting platform rail stanchion. Out of concerns for long term reliability and maintainability, and before purchasing the boat, I had decided that the boat should be re-powered.

b.jpg
Fig. 2. Engine cowling damage.
b.jpg (89.58 KiB) Viewed 10801 times

Although the varnish was in poor shape, the boat's mahogany interior components were in fair shape and had not been altered or drilled by the prior owner. I attribute the introduction of nylon washers behind the fender washers of Boston Whaler boats produced after 1987. This modification protects the finish (and therefore the wood) behind each finish washer from water damage. The anchor hatch cover, 1/4-inch console instrument panel, and aft bench cleats (all constructed from plywood) had begun to delaminate and had to be replaced.

c.jpg
Fig. 3. Helm console wood condition.
c.jpg (133.81 KiB) Viewed 10801 times
Last edited by Schuyler84 on Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Schuyler84

Re: 1988 Super Sport 15: Restoration / Restomod

Postby Schuyler84 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:23 pm

The 1988 Johnson 70 HP outboard was removed and a 2021 Suzuki DF70A outboard was ordered in mid-March 2021. The photo of the stern show just how dirty the two-stroke Johnson outboard could be.

d.jpg
Fig. 4. Note oil on transom from engine.
d.jpg (133.99 KiB) Viewed 10800 times

After being shrink wrapped and parked for years, there were plenty of rodent droppings, dirt, grease, and two stroke oil to clean up. Fortunately with the aid of some Simple Green and a scrub brush, the boat cleaned up well. When it comes down to it, the Classic Whalers essentially break down to an expensive pile of exotic lumber and a large fiberglass tub. It's that simplicity which is one of the Classic Whaler's greatest attributes. Maintenance and replacement of the interior components may be performed with relative ease. Now that disassembly is complete, the restoration / restomod can begin.

e.jpg
Fig. 5. All wooden components removed from the hull.
e.jpg (63.81 KiB) Viewed 10800 times

f.jpg
Fig. 6. A bare hull with railings.
f.jpg (119.91 KiB) Viewed 10800 times

Schuyler84

Postby Schuyler84 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:27 pm

3M's Strip Off Wheel made short work of removing the old registration decals and adhesive. The tree which damaged the outboard also bent the rail on the port side and caused minor spider cracking of the gelcoat where the starboard forward stanchion is fastened to the casting platform. As the gelcoat spider cracks beneath the stanchion were minor, they will not be addressed during the restoration. To straighten the rail, it was removed from the boat and moved to the basement. The bend was positioned beneath the home's main beam. A length of 2x4 was then placed atop the bend and beneath the main beam. A hydraulic bottle jack placed between the 2x4 and the main beam to apply downward force to the rail.

g.jpg
Fig. 7. Damaged railing from tree impact.
g.jpg (106.12 KiB) Viewed 10799 times

h.jpg
Fig. 8. Repaired railing.
h.jpg (107.43 KiB) Viewed 10799 times

The original anchor hatch cover had begun to delaminate. A new anchor hatch cover was fabricated from 18mm Marine Meranti plywood. Fortunately, the original anchor hatch cover was in good enough shape to permit it to be used as a template for the new anchor hatch cover.

i.jpg
Fig. 9. Newly fabricated bow locker cover.
i.jpg (41.52 KiB) Viewed 10799 times

Schuyler84

Postby Schuyler84 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:31 pm

The original aft bench cleats had also begun to delaminate. Accordingly, I opted to fabricate a replacement set of cleats from 18mm Marine Meranti plywood. Fortunately, the the original set of bench cleats were also in good enough shape to permit them to be used as templates for the new bench cleats.

j.jpg
Fig. 10. New wood cleats.
j.jpg (26.93 KiB) Viewed 10799 times

As the original console instrument panel had also begun to delaminate, a new console instrument panel (center) had to be fabricated from a 1/4" Marine Meranti plywood. The photo shows the original panel (left), the unfinished replacement panel (center) which I had fabricated, and a finished panel with gauge and breaker panel from my '87 Super Sport 13. The Super Sport 15's panel was going to be populated with the same components as had been used for the Super Sport 13's panel. Accordingly, I was able to use the panel from the Super Sport 13 as a template for the Super Sport 15's panel. If there is any difference between the aft interior wood components of the Super Sport 15 those of the Super Sport 13, I believe that must be absolutely minor.

l_.jpg
Fig. 11. Original instrument panel (L); replacement panel (C); a finished panel (R)
l_.jpg (20.8 KiB) Viewed 10693 times

Schuyler84

Postby Schuyler84 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:32 pm

Stripping the mahogany interior components was an extremely labor intensive task. To do so, I applied heat to a small area with a heat gun and then scraped off the heated varnish. This method minimized the amount of wood removed during the stripping process. The console took an entire day to strip. The wood was then sanded, blown off, and cleaned with a tack cloth prior applying varnish. If I had known that the re-power would be delayed until late August, I would have taken the additional step of using a wood cleaner to remove any blackening and darkening. Note that all of the wood assemblies except for the console were disassembled prior to stripping and were reassembled after they were refinished.

m.jpg
Fig. 12.
m.jpg (64.81 KiB) Viewed 10799 times

n_.jpg
Fig. 13.
n_.jpg (23.64 KiB) Viewed 10694 times

o.jpg
Fig. 14.
o.jpg (22.29 KiB) Viewed 10694 times

Schuyler84

Postby Schuyler84 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:36 pm

Three thinned coats of Petit Captains Varnish were applied. Next, the components were sanded and then two additional full viscosity coats of Petit Captains Varnish were applied. A final coat of Epifanes High Gloss Varnish was used to complete the finish. Although the results were good, were I to refinish the wood in the future, then I believe that I would spray the varnish.

u.jpg
Fig. 15.
u.jpg (167.7 KiB) Viewed 10798 times

v.jpg
Fig. 16.
v.jpg (159.93 KiB) Viewed 10798 times

w.jpg
Fig. 17.
w.jpg (103.43 KiB) Viewed 10798 times

Schuyler84

Postby Schuyler84 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:37 pm

The prior owner had begun the process of repairing gelcoat blisters. Gelcoat will need to be applied to these areas.

Additionally gelcoat abrasion caused by the forward keel rest of the trailer is visible and will need to be addressed before a KeelGuard is installed to prevent any such future damage to the gelcoat.

The taped off areas indicate where blistering had been repaired, gelcoat had been damaged, and cover snaps or screws had been installed. Gelcoat repairs had to be performed to these taped off areas.

As I had never performed gelcoat repairs before, this was very much a trial and error process, requiring three attempts get it correct. For the larger areas to receive gelcoat, had I followed my instincts to simply roll two light coats onto the affected areas and then sanded, the task would have been completed in short order. However, the advice solicited and information which I found on the web was too light in detail, resulting in use of mylar sheets and application of an excessively thick gelcoat layer. Sagging and and voids resulted and had to be sanded away to begin the process again.

As a friend told me during the process, there isn't much that can't be corrected with a little--well more than a little--sanding. By the time that I had completed sanding, my fingerprints had been completely worn away, which was a clear sign from the Almighty that I must finally be finished sanding.

x.jpg
Fig. 18.
x.jpg (203.68 KiB) Viewed 10798 times

y.jpg
Fig. 19.
y.jpg (48.45 KiB) Viewed 10798 times

Schuyler84

Postby Schuyler84 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:39 pm

After wet sanding to 1500 grit, the hull was compounded, polished, and then two coats of wax were applied. I purchased a 3" random orbital polisher from Griot's Garage. Complete Compound and Complete Polish were purchased from the same company. While it worked very well, it would have been nice to have additionally had a 6" polisher for the wider surfaces. A KeelGuard and ScuffBuster Bow Guard were installed before waxing the hull.

z.jpg
Fig. 20.
z.jpg (164.54 KiB) Viewed 10798 times

za.jpg
Fig. 21.
za.jpg (161.13 KiB) Viewed 10798 times

Schuyler84

Postby Schuyler84 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:42 pm

After wet sanding to 1500 grit, the smooth surfaces of the hull interior were compounded, polished, and then two coats of wax were applied. The photo on the left shows the luster which was restored by the compounding step alone ... note the surrounding dull surface contrasting with the compounded surface within the first photo.

zb.jpg
Fig. 22.
zb.jpg (48.39 KiB) Viewed 10798 times

zc.jpg
Fig. 23.
zc.jpg (116.47 KiB) Viewed 10798 times

Schuyler84

Postby Schuyler84 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:44 pm

The mahogany interior has been reinstalled within these photos. During the process, the steering cable was replaced and new electrical and SeaTalkng (NMEA 2000) communications cables were chased. As a Yamaha F70LA outboard was later chosen over the Suzuki DF70A outboard to repower the boat, the SeaTalkng Spur Cable shown was deleted. Instead, the Yamaha Command Link bus will interface with the NMEA 2000 (SeaTalkng) backbone on the underside of the console.

zd.jpg
Fig. 24. Helm instrument panel.
zd.jpg (104.88 KiB) Viewed 10798 times

ze.jpg
Fig. 25. View of restored interior now in place on hull.
ze.jpg (114.3 KiB) Viewed 10798 times

When compounding the hull's interior, I had neglected to apply masking tape over the aluminum capacity plate to protect it. Unfortunately, compounding had erased some of the information which had been silk screened onto the original capacity plate. For those seeking to address a worn capacity plate or hull ID plate, Magic Brush is a great source for providing a decal with the boat's original capacity information. Magic Brush utilizes files supplied by Boston Whaler to generate these decals. I removed the original capacity plate by drilling out the pop rivets, flipped the plate over, cleaned the surface, and then applied the decal to the plate. I opted to protect the decal with a few coats of automotive clear coat. The capacity plate was then pop riveted back in place with some 1/8" diameter pop rivets.

The 1988 Super Sport 15 had a capacity rating of one less person than had my 1987 Super Sport 13. To know the reason behind that reduction would be interesting.

zf.jpg
Fig. 26. The old (L) and new (R) capacity plates.
zf.jpg (80.43 KiB) Viewed 10798 times

Schuyler84

Postby Schuyler84 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:47 pm

Originally, the console only featured bilge pump and lighting switches. Now, the console panel will house a tachometer and a breaker panel. The latter supplies power to the boat's marine electronics, navigation light, all around light, USB, and accessory 12V power. The console additionally houses the marine electronic system's heading sensor and SeaTalkng (NMEA 2000) backbone. As a Yamaha F70LA outboard was later chosen over the Suzuki DF70A outboard to repower the boat, the SeaTalkng Spur Cable shown was deleted. Instead, the Yamaha Command Link bus will interface with the NMEA 2000 (SeaTalkng) backbone on the underside of the console. The restored Boston Whaler bilge switch and marine electronics video input socket (replaces the original light switch) are located to the left of the console's panel. A cutout has been provided for the outboard's tachometer. Atop the console is a Johnny Ray marine electronics quick release / swivel mount which will accommodate a Raymarine multifunction display (MFD).

zg.jpg
Fig. 27. Underside of console showing wiring.
zg.jpg (86.68 KiB) Viewed 10798 times

zh.jpg
Fig. 28. Close up of helm electrical panel.
zh.jpg (136.06 KiB) Viewed 10798 times

Schuyler84

Postby Schuyler84 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:49 pm

The photo on the left is that of the original terminal block and fuses beneath the fuse cover located on the starboard inhale behind the helm seating position. The quality of the boat's original wiring was not up to my standards and was replaced with marine grade cables. New circuits were installed for the lighting, bilge pump, electronics, USB, and 12-Volt DC outlet. Fortunately, a 6-gang terminal strip was able to fit neatly behind the original fuse block cover. A console mounted breaker panel has replaced the original fuse blocks.

zi.jpg
Fig. 29. Original wiring (L); improved wiring (R)
zi.jpg (68.27 KiB) Viewed 10798 times

The electrical cabling was enclosed within mesh loom, which in turn was routed through stainless steel cable clamps.

zj.jpg
Fig. 30. View of organized wire path to transom from helm.
zj.jpg (70.86 KiB) Viewed 10798 times

Having seen a bilge pump sump included within a FasseCo Classic Boston Whaler restoration, I opted to fabricate a mahogany bilge pump sump cover for my Super Sport 15. The cover will permit water to enter the sump and may reduce the amount of debris which typically accumulates therein. The sump cover certainly dresses up and hides the sump.

zk.jpg
Fig. 31. Detail of pump installed in cockpit aft center sump.
zk.jpg (46.96 KiB) Viewed 10798 times

Schuyler84

Postby Schuyler84 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:52 pm

Seat cushions (Specialty Marine), folding beverage holders, and readily accessible fire extinguisher within the passenger seating areas. Interestingly, Boat Outfitters posted a YouTube review of beverage holders and found these simple. inexpensive folding beverage holders to be the most effective. I have used these beverage holders on all three classic Whalers which I have owned dating back to the mid-eighties.
https://youtu.be/OvubiDVIfi8

zl.jpg
Fig. 32. Fire extinguisher mount; drink holder.
zl.jpg (64.36 KiB) Viewed 10798 times

Water and particulates within fuel can result in expensive repairs to an engine's fuel system. This Racor fuel-water separator filter tucks nicely between the portable fuel tank and the aft seat storage bin.

zm.jpg
Fig. 33. RACOR fuel-water separating filter mount.
zm.jpg (71.25 KiB) Viewed 10798 times

Schuyler84

Postby Schuyler84 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:54 pm

The re-power with a Suzuki DF70A was abandoned in favor of a Yamaha F70. If you have been following this project, you were already aware that my efforts to re-power my 1988 Boston Whaler Super Sport 15 with a Suzuki DF70A had been delayed by pandemic-related shortages. After waiting more than five months for the DF70A, I revisited the outboard motor research which I had previously performed. Upon doing so, I determined the Yamaha's F70LA outboard engine is 90-lbs lighter than the Suzuki DF70A, making it roughly equivalent in weight to the 1988 Johnson 70 HP 2-stroke outboard engine (248-lbs) which was being replaced.

In addition to horsepower, engine weight should be a critical factor in selecting an outboard engine. It turns out that the significant weight savings of the Yamaha F70 over other brands combined with Yamaha's highly regarded reputation for performance and reliability are the primary factors in making the Yamaha F70 outboard engine the overwhelming choice among 15-foot classic Whaler owners and enthusiasts. My past experience with an 1984 Yamaha 40HP two-stroke outboard engine was nothing short spectacular.

As the Suzuki DF70A outboard motor had not yet been delivered by August, no firm date could be promised by the dealer, and now believing the Yamaha F70 outboard motor to be the best choice for repowering an 1988 Boston Whaler Sport 15 or Super Sport 15, I cancelled my order for the DF70 outboard motor and began my search for a Yamaha F70LA outboard motor. As with the Suzuki outboard motor scarcity, all of the New Hampshire and northern Massachusetts Yamaha marine dealers whom I had initially contacted indicated that they had no inventories of a F70LA outboard engine, would be glad to take my order, but couldn't promise delivery before the Spring of 2022. While I had resigned myself to waiting until the Spring of 2022 to re-power, a southern New Hampshire Yamaha marine dealer with whom I had left a message later responded that he had a F70LA in stock. After 5-1/2-months of restoration and waiting for a re-power, I was finally able to splash the boat in September 2021.

zn.jpg
Fig. 34. Yamaha engine and remote controls.
zn.jpg (103.12 KiB) Viewed 10798 times

Martin Designs produces a boarding platform with ladder which is custom designed to fit the complex transom profile of the classic Sport and Super Sport 15.

A Raymarine RV-100 RealVision transducer was installed on the starboard side of the transom to support fishfinding, bottom structure / wreck finding, and reporting depth.

zo.jpg
Fig. 35. Transom attachments: swim ladder and platform; SONAR transducer.
zo.jpg (77.74 KiB) Viewed 10798 times

Schuyler84

Postby Schuyler84 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:59 pm

To accommodate a bow mounted electric trolling motor, the forward center section of the bow rail had to be modified to function like a gate. High quality stainless steel 7/8" bimini fittings were used for this purpose. Keepers were fastened to the rail to prevent loss of the quick release pins. A double sided Velcro strip (black band on rail gate) is used to secure the opened gate to the starboard side rail. Eventually, the set screws within these bimini fittings will be removed and the fittings will be pin-welded to the bow rail sections. Further stiffening of the rail may be sought by welding the forwardmost two stanchions to their bases.

zp_.jpg
Fig. 36.
zp_.jpg (32.29 KiB) Viewed 10693 times

My goal was to fabricate a bow mounted electric trolling motor mount for my '88 Super Sport 15 which could be easily be installed and removed from the boat in seconds without the need for tools. I also did not not want to make any holes within the hull to secure the mount. This would ensure an unmodified hull appearance whenever the mount was removed. As such, the mount does not utilize fasteners to secure it to the hull. Instead, the mount utilizes the lip of the bow, the bow norman pin, and a sliding key to secure the mount to the hull. The mount was produced from 3/4" King Starboard and was assembled with stainless machine screws. The mount installs over the lip of the bow, over the bow light, and the rotates downward over the bow norman pin. The mount is designed with internal runners permitting a King Starboard key to slide into the mount beneath the bow norman pin. The key is locked into place with a pair of stainless steel turn-buttons. A stainless steel eye bolt and turnbuckle were later added to the aft side of the mount to additionally secure it to the eye nut located slightly aft of the installed mount. As part of a modular design approach, a Minn Kota Quick Release Trolling Motor Mount was installed atop my fabricated mount. As the electric trolling motor is fairly heavy, this modular approach permits the electric trolling motor to be mounted after my fabricated mount has been installed the boat. This is this the third such mount which I have produced (two for a pair of classic Sport & Super Sport 13s and one for my classic Super Sport 15). Details for producing the mount for a classic Super Sport 13 and for this classic Super Sport 15 have been documented within my other project albums within the Continuous Wave forum ( https://continuouswave.com/forum/viewto ... f=6&t=6600 ).

zq.jpg
Fig. 37.
zq.jpg (86.05 KiB) Viewed 10796 times

zqa.jpg
Fig. 38.
zqa.jpg (68.31 KiB) Viewed 10796 times
Last edited by Schuyler84 on Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Schuyler84

Postby Schuyler84 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:02 pm

A Boston Whaler OEM stainless steel 3/4 inch pedestal seat mount (Part #1947982) was installed on the aft facing wall of the casting platform / anchor hatch. The 1/4" aluminum backing plate was ordered from onlinemetals.com ... at a significantly lower price than would have been requested by Boston Whaler. The stainless 5" and 6" 1/4-20 fasteners were sourced from boltdepot.com ... an absolute go to source for stainless steel fasteners ... particularly longer sizes and uncommon head styles.

Rather than using a cut-off wheel or hacksaw to remove the excess length of the machine screws, I typically use a technique which my grandfather (a navy machinist mate and boatyard owner) had taught me in my youth. After the fishing seat mount had been installed and the 3M 5200 had set up, a set of vice grips was clamped to the excess length of machine screw near the point where the machine screw exits the nylox nut. Next, the vice grips are rocked back and forth to bend the machine screw. This rocking action fatigues the machine screw at the bend point, and within half a dozen or so rocking movements cause the excess machine screw length to break off at the bend point. Any burrs or remaining excess machine screw were then removed with a file. The method of removing excess machine screw length is effective, clean, very quick to execute, and requires no special tools.

I am a huge fan of the Wise Aero-S Cool Ride seats. Without question, this is the coolest, most comfortable fishing seat which I have ever used. A 13" Swivl-Eze Stainless Steel Threaded post and Bass Pro Bass Pro Shops Stainless Steel Seat Mount round out the fishing seat parts. I believe that I am going to enjoy the much larger casting platform of the Super Sport 15 over that of my '87 Super Sport 13.

zr.jpg
Fig. 39.
zr.jpg (73.56 KiB) Viewed 10796 times

My Super Sport 13 lacked a place to securely place a rod while fishing from the bow. To address this deficiency, I added a pair of stainless steel rail mounted rod holders to the casting platform's vertical rail stanchions. By mounting the rod holder inside and below the rail, the rod holder will not interfere with installation of the boat cover. The aft rod holder rack was attached to 1/2" King Starboard (used as a standoff), which in turn was attached to the aft face of the plastic rear storage bin.

zs.jpg
Fig. 40.
zs.jpg (65.78 KiB) Viewed 10796 times

Schuyler84

Postby Schuyler84 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:04 pm

The Newport Vessel Electric Trolling Motor Battery Box / Breaker is placed behind the aft bench storage bin to provide breaker protected power for a bow mounted electric trolling motor. Power is delivered from the battery box to the trolling motor via 6 gauge cable to the pictured polarized quick connectors.

zt.jpg
Fig. 41. Battery box and connector for trolling motor circuit.
zt.jpg (70.16 KiB) Viewed 10796 times

zu_.jpg
Fig. 42. Raymarine Axiom Pro 9 RVX MFD at the helm,; Axiom 7 RV MFD in bow.
zu_.jpg (32.29 KiB) Viewed 10690 times

For fishfinding and navigation, I have installed a Raymarine Axiom Pro 9 RVX MFD at the helm, Axiom 7 RV MFD in bow (fastened to trolling motor mount via a Ram 7" Electronics Mount), heading sensor, and RV100 transom mounted transducer. The MFDs are additionally interfaced to the Yamaha Command Link buss via Yamaha's NMEA 2000 engine gateway. This permits the MFDs to monitor engine and fuel data.

zzi_.jpg
FIg. 43. Montage.
zzi_.jpg (55.67 KiB) Viewed 10689 times

Schuyler84

Postby Schuyler84 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:08 pm

Ready for a day of watersports or cruising in this configuration.

zzb.jpg
Fig. 44.
zzb.jpg (195.6 KiB) Viewed 10796 times

zza.jpg
Fig. 45.
zza.jpg (185.67 KiB) Viewed 10796 times

zzc.jpg
Fig. 46.
zzc.jpg (121.64 KiB) Viewed 10796 times

Schuyler84

Postby Schuyler84 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:09 pm

Ready for a day of watersports or cruising in this configuration.

zzd.jpg
Fig. 47.
zzd.jpg (104.43 KiB) Viewed 10796 times

zzda.jpg
Fig. 48.
zzda.jpg (80.48 KiB) Viewed 10796 times

Schuyler84

Postby Schuyler84 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:12 pm

Ready for a day of fishing in this configuration.

zzf.jpg
Fig. 49.
zzf.jpg (180.26 KiB) Viewed 10795 times

zze.jpg
Fig. 50.
zze.jpg (181.02 KiB) Viewed 10795 times

zzg.jpg
Fig. 51.
zzg.jpg (122.79 KiB) Viewed 10795 times

Schuyler84

Postby Schuyler84 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:15 pm

Ready for a day of fishing in this configuration.

zzh.jpg
Fig. 52.
zzh.jpg (107.66 KiB) Viewed 10794 times

zzha.jpg
Fig. 53.
zzha.jpg (81.32 KiB) Viewed 10794 times

The Yamaha F70LA outboard is interfaced to a Yamaha Command Link Bus to which the Yamaha Command Link Multifunction Tachometer and Yamaha NMEA 2000 Engine Gateway have been interfaced. The engine gateway is in turn interfaced to the marine electronics NMEA 2000 backbone, permitting the Raymarine MFDs to display engine data with greater detail than is supported by the Yamaha Command Link Multifunction Tachometer. Among the most important of the data items shared is fuel usage. Using fuel consumption data the LightHouse 3 Fuel Manager feature permits the operator to monitor with great confidence how much fuel is remaining within the tank(s) at any time.

zzj.jpg
Fig. 54.
zzj.jpg (78.46 KiB) Viewed 10716 times
Last edited by Schuyler84 on Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Schuyler84

Postby Schuyler84 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:30 pm

Links to the items utilized within this restoration / restomod:

• Fasteners & Hardware:
o Bolt Depot … source for stainless steel fasteners ( https://www.boltdepot.com/ )
o Fastener Components … source for .187” x .625” x .062” Nylon Washers ( https://fastenercomponents.com/washers- ... -p-26.html )
o Fluid Concepts … source for 7/8” tubing hinge ( https://www.fluidconcepts.net/Locking-B ... rh-875.htm )
o Victory:
- Rail Fit Top Cap 7/8” ( https://victory-products.com/collection ... cts/ch3600 )
- Boat Top Swivel Deck Hinge 7/8” ( https://victory-products.com/products/c ... 1120870129 )
o Stainless Steel Bimini Top Pins w/Drop Cam & Spring ¼” x 1” – Lanyard ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MT ... UTF8&psc=1 )
o Online Metals … source for ¼” aluminum plates ( https://www.onlinemetals.com/buy/materi ... A0.25%2522 )
o 3/8” Hook / Eye Stainless Steel Turnbuckle … for securing trolling motor mount to bow eye nut ( https://www.national-hardware.com/p/217 ... l=N100-211 )
o Flexible Door Catch (https://www.boatoutfitters.com/flexible-door-catch )

• Steering:
o Teleflex / SeaStar:
- QC II Replacement Steering Cable – 11 Feet ( https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=2710636 )
- SA27620P Quick Connect II Helm Converter ( https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=2687994 )
- SB27484P Bezel Kit ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000N ... UTF8&psc=1 )

• Finishing:
o Petit 1015 Captain’s Varnish ( https://www.pettitpaint.com/products/va ... s-varnish/ )
o Epifanes Clear High Gloss Marine Varnish ( https://www.epifanes.com/page/clear-finishes )

Schuyler84

Postby Schuyler84 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:32 pm

Links to the items utilized within this restoration / restomod (cont'd):

• Hull Repair, Sanding, Polishing, Sealing, and Waxing:
o Spectrum Color Desert Tan Gelcoat (https://spectrumcolor-com.3dcartstores. ... GOlsNx%2B1 )
o 3M:
- 4200 Marine Adhesive Sealant ( https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/b400669 ... ct=7569018 )
- 5200 Marine Adhesive Sealant ( https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/b400669 ... ct=7569018 )
- Strip Off Wheel ( https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/b40065358/ )
- 9” Rubber Sanding Block ( https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/b40066590/ )
- 5” Rubber Sanding Block ( https://www.amazon.com/3M-9292-Rubber-S ... B00004Z4CY )
o Carbide burr set ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Q5 ... UTF8&psc=1 )
o Dura-block Black 6 Piece Sanding Block Set ( https://www.dura-block.com/6-Piece-Dura ... _p_38.html )
o Griot’s Garage:
- G8 Mini (3”) Random Orbit Polisher ( https://www.griotsgarage.com/g8-mini-ra ... -polisher/ )
- G9 Random Orbital Polisher … not purchased, but recommended in addition to the G8 ( https://www.griotsgarage.com/g9-random- ... -polisher/ )
- Complete Compound ( https://www.griotsgarage.com/complete-c ... 16-ounces/ )
- Complete Polish ( https://www.griotsgarage.com/complete-polish-16-ounces/ )
- 3” Orange Correcting Pads ( https://www.griotsgarage.com/orange-foa ... ting-pads/ )
- 3” Black Finishing Pads ( https://www.griotsgarage.com/boss-finishing-foam-pads/ )
o Starbrite Premium Marine Polish ( http://www.starbrite.com/item/premium-m ... -with-ptef )
o Heat Gun ( https://www.harborfreight.com/power-too ... 69342.html )
o Paint Scraper ( https://www.homedepot.com/p/Anvil-2-5-i ... /309996481 )
o ¼ Sheet Orbital Finish Sander Electric Sander ( https://www.portercable.com/products/po ... sander/380 )
o Dry and Wet Sandpaper in grits from 150 through 1500

Schuyler84

Postby Schuyler84 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:35 pm

• Electrical:
o Amphenol Connex Adapter, BNC Jack To BNC Jack, Bulkhead Mounting Straight … ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005T ... UTF8&psc=1 )
o Ancable 10-Pack BNC Female Protective Water Dust Cap With Chain ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077X ... UTF8&psc=1 )
o Ancor
- Mast Cable, 14/5 AWG Round ( https://www.ancorproducts.com/en/p/1550 ... m-sq-Round )
- Flat Duplex Cable, 14/2 AWG ( https://www.ancorproducts.com/en/p/121510 )
- Flat Duplex Cable, 12/2 AWG ( https://www.ancorproducts.com/en/p/121310 )
- Flat Triplex Cable, 14/3 AWG ( https://www.ancorproducts.com/en/p/131525 )
o Blue Sea Systems
- Water-Resistant Circuit Breaker Switch Panel, Gray, 4-Pos + 12V Socket and USB Charger ( https://www.bluesea.com/products/4321/W ... SB_Charger )
- m-Series Mini On-Off Battery Switch With Knob – Red ... planned for 2022 ( https://www.bluesea.com/products/6006/m ... Knob_-_Red )
o DYWHISKEY 320 PC. Male and Female 3.9mm Bullet Terminals ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QQ ... UTF8&psc=1 )
o Lumicar Upgrade LED Low Profile Submersible Rectangular Trailer Light Kit ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08BF ... UTF8&psc=1 )
o Sea Dog Line 426880-1 Polarized Connector 2-Wire Plug and Socket ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Y ... UTF8&psc=1 )
o Cable Clamp Stainless Steel Rubber Cushioned 7/8” ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MX ... UTF8&psc=1 )
o Cable Clamp Stainless Steel Rubber Cushioned 1/2” ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N0 ... =UTF8&th=1)
o ¾” Split Cable Sleeve ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FW ... UTF8&psc=1 )
Last edited by Schuyler84 on Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Schuyler84

Postby Schuyler84 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:37 pm

• Propulsion:
o Yamaha:
- 2021 F70LA ( https://yamahaoutboards.com/en-us/home/ ... 0-hp/70-50 )
- 6YG-8A2D0-11 Gateway ( https://www.partsvu.com/yamaha-gateway- ... 11-00.html )
- (6Y8-82521-01-00 PigTail ( https://www.simyamaha.com/command-link- ... -00-00kit/ )
o (2) Suzuki 6.6 Gallon Fuel Tank ( https://suzukioutboardmarine.com/produc ... 000-95j01/ )
o Suzuki Fuel Line Assembly For 4-Stroke Engines From 25 To 140HP - L8576-3 ( https://larandproducts.com/product/suzu ... -l-8576-3/ )
o 3/8” Yamaha Fuel Line Connector ( https://www.five-oceans.com/products/38 ... 98-fo-2888 )
o ¼” – 15/16” Stainless Steel Single Ear Pinch Hose Clamps & Ear Clamp Pincer Tool ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HF ... UTF8&psc=1 )
o Racor 120R-RAC-01 30 GPH Spin On w/Head ( https://www.racorstore.com/racor-120r-r ... -head.html )
o Trident Type A1 Marine 3/8” Fuel Line ( https://www.fisheriessupply.com/trident ... -fuel-hose )
o Steersman Steering Guard ... planned for 2022 ( https://steersman.com/index.html# )

• Marine Electronics:
o Raymarine:
- Axiom Pro 9 RVX Multifunction Display ( https://www.raymarine.com/multifunction ... /pro9.html )
- Axiom 7 RVX Multifunction Display ( https://www.raymarine.com/multifunction ... xiom7.html )
- RV-100 Transom Mount Transducer ( https://www.raymarine.com/transducers/m ... -3d-sonar/ )
- AR200 Augmented Reality Stabilization Sensor ( https://www.raymarine.com/gps/ar200.html )
- SeaTalkng Starter Kit ( https://www.raymarine.com/view/index-id=400.html )
- (2) A06075 1m SeaTalkng to DeviceNet (F) Adapter Cable ( https://www.raymarine.com/view/index-id=5536.html )
- A06039 0.4m SeaTalkng Spur Cable ( https://www.raymarine.com/view/index-id=5536.html )
- A06033 0.4m SeaTalkng Backbone Cable ( https://www.raymarine.com/view/index-id=5536.html )
- A80005 5m RayNet (F) To RayNet (F) Cable ( https://www.raymarine.com/view/index-id=5537.html )
o RAM Mounts RAM-111U Universal Drill Down Double Ball Mount for displays up to 7” (https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-111U)
Last edited by Schuyler84 on Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Schuyler84

Postby Schuyler84 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:41 pm

• Miscellaneous Accessories / Replacement Parts:
o Perko 0295DP0LNS Bi-Color Lens For Navigation Light ( https://www.perko.com/catalog/spare_par ... or_lights/ )
o Adjustable Folding Drink Holders ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089S ... UTF8&psc=1 )
o Martin Design Classic 15 Boston Whaler Swim Platform ( http://www.martinmarinedesign.com/SWIM- ... tform.html )
o Magic Brush Boston Whaler Capacity Plate Decal ( http://www.magicbrushsign.com/marine/ )
o Kidde Mariner 5 Fire Extinguisher ( https://www.kidde.com/home-safety/en/us ... s/466179n/ )
o Wm. J. Mills & Co.:
- Mooring Cover ( https://millscanvas.com/whaler-canvas/m ... ing-cover/ )
- Bimini Top ... planned for 2022 ( http://cf.millscanvas.com/cfml/Product_ ... oductID=22 )
o Megaware
- Keel Guard, 6’, Almond ( https://keelguard.com/product/keel-guard/ )
- Scuff Buster Bow Guard, Standard, No Notch ( https://keelguard.com/product/scuff-buster-bow-guard/ )
o Attwood Sahara S500 Automatic Bilge Pump ( http://old.attwoodmarine.com/store/prod ... H--12-Volt )
o SeaChoice 28561 Teak Center Cap For Destroyer Wheels ... planned for 2022 ( https://www.seachoice.com/wp-content/th ... 04/#zoom=z )
o Ozark Trail 50 Can Cooler Bag ... padded bags for anchors ( https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail- ... /883766215 )
o Specialty Marine:
- Bench Cushions ( https://www.specialtymarine.com/collect ... c-13-15-ow )
- Stern Light ( https://www.specialtymarine.com/collect ... 9929668726 )
Last edited by Schuyler84 on Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Schuyler84

Postby Schuyler84 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:43 pm

Links to the items utilized within this restoration / restomod (cont'd) ... I hope these links have been useful and may have saved you some searching:

• Fishing:
o Boston Whaler Forward ¾” Pedestal Seat Base 1947982 ( https://manualzz.com/doc/54376884/bosto ... lation-g... )
o Wise 3373 AeroX Cool Ride Mesh High Back Boat Seat ( https://wiseseats.com/products/wise-337 ... -boat-seat )
o Stainless Steel ¾” Seat Mount ( https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/bass-pr ... seat-mount )
o Swivl-Eze 2134-T-SS ¾” Stainless Steel 13” Seat Post ( https://www.amazon.com/Swivl-Eze-2134TS ... B005NI4UEG )
o Robo Cup ( https://www.therobocup.com/ )
o Robo Cup Holster ( https://www.therobocup.com/ )
o Stainless Steel Rod Holders, Clamp-On ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Q5 ... UTF8&psc=1 )
o Whitecap 3-Rod Tournament Storage Rack – 63449 ( https://www.whitecapindustries.net/prod ... ders-63449 )
o Johnny Ray JR-206 Swivel Mount ( https://johnnyraysports.com/product/jr- ... vel-mount/ )
o Minn Kota:
- 1358856 – Terrova 12V 55 Lb Thrust 45” Shaft Bow Mount Freshwater Trolling Motor W/iPilot ( https://minnkotamotors.johnsonoutdoors. ... a?id=13261 )
- 1854060 - MKA-32 Quick Release Bracket ( https://minnkotamotors.johnsonoutdoors. ... ket-mka-32 )
o Newport Vessels Smart Battery Box ( https://newportvessels.com/products/smart-battery-box )
o 6 Gauge Jumper Cables ( https://www.harborfreight.com/automotiv ... 60396.html )
o Battery Quick Connect / Disconnect Plugs ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007J ... UTF8&psc=1 )
o 12V 15A 10’ Male to Male Cigarette Lighter Plug Extension … provides bow mounted Axiom 7 RV Multifunction Display with power from Blue Seas Breaker Panel 12V socket ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MY ... UTF8&psc=1 )

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:57 am

Moderator's note: I have been adding figure numbers to all the illustrations. I am not finished with that project.

Update: still working on the project to give all illustrations figure number designators.

dtmackey

Postby dtmackey » Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:28 am

Nice to see another 15 Whaler restored.

I'm happy to see you opted for the Yamaha over the Suzuki. While the Suzuki is a great motor, it's almost 100-lbs heavier than the Yamama. That weight increase will make a big difference on that hull in how low it sits in the stern and in the tendency for taking water over the transom. You will not regret that decision.

The 15-footer is a much better hull design than the 13-footer, and the 15-footer provides a far better ride and handling than the 13-footer.

You should see a maximum boat speed between 42 to 43-MPH. The 15-foit hull loves the engine mounted as high as you can go on the mounting holes.

The best propeller, based on input from others is the Powertech SCD3 in 17-pitch.

I noticed the NH registration and see the boat on a lake: what lake is that?

I sometime trailer to Lake Winnipesaukee.

D-

Schuyler84

Postby Schuyler84 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:24 pm

dtmackey,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm very satisfied with the Yamaha F70LA thus far. I can't wait to ski behind it next summer. The water skiing experience should be a welcome change from that associated with the monstrous wake produced by our deck boat. Regarding the New Hampshire lake, you guessed correctly ... it is Lake Winnipesaukee. We have a small camp situated within one of the quiet coves north of Moultonborough Bay. Your latest restoration is quite amazing. If you're ever up on the Big Lake with your Super Sport 15, be certain to reach out. I'd love to see your restoration / restomod in person.

Regards,

Chuck

dtmackey

Postby dtmackey » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:43 am

Schuyler84 wrote:dtmackey,

Regarding the New Hampshire lake, you guessed correctly ... it is Lake Winnipesaukee. We have a small camp situated within one of the quiet coves north of Moultonborough Bay. Your latest restoration is quite amazing. If you're ever up on the Big Lake with your Super Sport 15, be certain to reach out. I'd love to see your restoration / restomod in person.

Regards,

Chuck

Hi Chuck,

I've spent counless weekends over the years between Braun Bay and Trexlers Marina, A friend's vacation home off Oak Landing Rd, so your on the other side of the penninsula. These days I'm usually up there on Labor Day weekend and I'll reach out.

I used to snowmobile in that area, but now we head further north where the better trail systems are located.

D-

Schuyler84

Postby Schuyler84 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:27 am

Dave--I look forward to meeting you during your next visit to Lake Winnipesaukee. Have a great and safe winter--Chuck

Meedek1

Postby Meedek1 » Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:45 pm

Well done on the restoration Chuck. Excellent design on the electric motor bracket. It is clean and removable. [You are] a details guy.

OGSW20

Postby OGSW20 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:27 pm

What an admirable write up and rebuild. I’m bookmarking this thread for my restoration project. The thread has of very useful information that I’ll be looking back on. Thank you

One huge piece of info you provided that I have been searching for is the pedestal seat mount up front. Had no idea it was a Boston Whaler specific part until now. Hope I can still find it.--James
1978 Classic Sport 15 Red Dot
1986 Evinrude VRO 50