Sunbrella Fabric for Upholstered Cushions

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
ewalsh

Sunbrella Fabric for Upholstered Cushions

Postby ewalsh » Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:16 pm

The cushions ror the RPS, the cooler seat, and the backrest in my classic Montauk need to be replaced.

Q1: Can Sunbrella fabric be used to reupholster cushions?

Q2: if Sunbrella fabric were used to reupholster cushions that originally used a vinyl, would the vinyl layer be discarded and the new fabric used directly to surround the foam?

Q3; if Sunbrella fabric were used to reupholster cushions that originally used a vinyl, would the fabric be place over the existing worn out and mildly cracked vinyl?

I am concerned that a reupholstering of fabric over the would result in cushion that could not support one's weight without bottoming out.

Thanks, Ed

Jefecinco

Re: Sunbrella Fabric for Upholstered Cushions

Postby Jefecinco » Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:27 am

I have not had any boat cushions reupholstered with fabric. If I were considering such a project I would be concerned that wrapping Sunbrella or any fabric over vinyl would hinder quick drying and thus promote the growth of mold and mildew.

We have Sunbrella upholstered cushions on our outdoor furniture. It often gets wet during rain storms if the wind is blowing. We have been using the cushions for over three years and have had no mold or mildew problems. We get about five to six feet of rain annually.
Butch

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:07 am

We had foam-core seat cushions made with Sunbrella fabric. The fabric does not play a role in how resistant the foam is to compression due to the weight of the person sitting on the cushion.

Don McIntyre - MI

Postby Don McIntyre - MI » Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:00 pm

We've used Sunbrella in the cabin. The "trick" is to locate different samples of foam, i.e. different thicknesses and density to determine what works best for you. Also whether it's going inside or stay outside. There was a type of foam marketed that was very porous and would allow water to drain quickly. I don't know the density or thickness that it came in.