Steering System Weight

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Dynamo

Steering System Weight

Postby Dynamo » Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:17 pm

Q1: when changing to a twin V12 Verado 600-HP set-up from a triple 300-HP set-up, how much weight from steering systems and hydraulics is removed from a hull?

The reason I ask: a 345 Conquest will support 1,200-HP but would then be 420-lbs over the maximum transom weight.

How much of that weight is integrated systems added to the engine weight that would be normally be included with the hull weight?

This offset could bridge a gap in getting closer to the maximum transom weight for a proper installation.

dtmackey

Re: Steering System Weight

Postby dtmackey » Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:48 pm

Not enough information to provide an answer.

How is the boat configured now?

Multiple steering rams?

Power steering?

Does the boat have joystick control?

What are the current motors?

I'm not sure you'll get to the magic 420-lbs, but you will get closer, depending on the answers to the above.

D-

Dynamo

Postby Dynamo » Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:43 pm

The boat is a 345 Conquest with triple VERADO six-cylinder supercharged engines.The steering also has the the Joystick control option.

dtmackey

Postby dtmackey » Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:34 am

After looking at that engine, I'm not sure you can get to the weight you are looking for since that model Verado steering rams aren't that heavy and the pump for the joystick control isn't mounted on the transom, so can't be counted in the weight. I think you will still be 350-lbs too heavy.

D-