1986 OMC Remote Shift and Throttle Control Rebuild

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
VKR

1986 OMC Remote Shift and Throttle Control Rebuild

Postby VKR » Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:13 pm

I removed the 1986 OMC single-lever remote shift and throttle controls (OMC p/n 173646) from my Outrage 18 boat. I plan to replace the original mechanical control cables.

The control of engine tilt position with the TILT switch on the control handle is intermittent. At some times the tilt motor does not energize, but repeated switch movement will coax it to work. The root cause of the circuit being intermittent is not yet known, that is, the switch, the relay, or the motor could be failing. I plan to test the switch.

I plan to clean the mechanical parts of the remote shift and throttle control head..

Q1: are they any advantages such a smoother operation to be obtained by replacing the 1986-era mechanical remote shift and throttle controls with a newer OMC model?

Before I dig into renovating the c.1986 remote controls, I need guidance on the option newer model controls.

jimh

Re: 1986 OMC Remote Shift and Throttle Control Rebuild

Postby jimh » Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:37 pm

I suspect that a newer model remote shift and throttle top-mount control would be sold under the BRP branding.

I have no experience with the BRP branded controls, however, I had the OMC controls for my 1992 Evinrude engine, which I would assume were also c.1992 OMC controls. My impression of those controls was they were the smoothest, nicest, mechanically linked engine remote shift and throttle controls I had ever used. I would expect that if you refurbished your existing c.1986 controls to be like-new, they would have similarly smooth control action.

Also, I suspect that the nature of the remote control cables, their path from the remote controls to the engine, the radius of any turns they make, and the state of the shift and throttle linkages in the engine itself will also have a big influence on the perceived smoothness of the control operation.

Part of the extremely smooth operation I experienced with my c.1992 controls may have been due to the path for the remote mechanical cables. There was really only one bend in the entire path, a 90-degree bend from vertical to horizontal as the cables entered the rigging tunnel. At the stern the remote control cables went straight into the rigging grommet on the engine with just a bit of slack to permit the engine to be steered left or right. Again, the feel at the helm control handle was very smooth.

Wear or friction or roughness in the existing c.1986 control head and cable should be able to be felt at the control handle with the engine disconnected from the mechanical control cables.

Aside: I replaced the c.1992 Evinrude (OMC) controls on my boat about two years after I re-powered with an E-TEC engine. Upgraded the E-TEC engine to use remote electrical shift and throttle ICON EST controls. I still have the original mechanical controls carefully stored away.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:46 pm

As you already may be aware, the circuit controlling engine TRIM involves to types of circuits. A low-current 12-Volt circuit operates the coils of two relays. The contacts of the relays handle the high-current 12-Volt circuit to the motor.

The handle-mounted switch for TRIM is often a source of trouble. Typically you can make a close visual inspection of the wiring by prying off a plastic trim piece on the handle. Because the wiring moves with handle movement, it is subject to potential abrasion and wear.

You can easily test the operation of the low-current portion of the circuit with careful aural observations. You should be able to hear the relays operate. If not able to hear them, you should be able to feel them operate by placing a finger on the relay housing. You should detect the movement of the contacts when the relay coil is energized. There should also be a cowling mounted trim switch; test the operation of the circuit with this switch. If only the remote control handle mounted switch seems intermittent, then that switch or wiring associated with that switch is the cause. The connections in the wiring and the wires in the engine harness itself, particularly where it passes through the rigging grommet and enters into the engine cowling, could be the problem.

If both the cowling switch and the remote control switch reliably operate the relay coil, then the problem is in the relay contacts.

The relay contacts for the high-current circuit can also be a source of trouble. The contacts may become pitted or burned from the repeated making and breaking of a high-current DC circuit to a motor. The best remedy is for that problem is replacement relays.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:47 pm

If looking at a new top-mount remote shift and throttle control for your older engine, be aware that the wiring harness used by OMC engines changed after 1996 to what is called the MWS (for modular wiring system). Your 1986 engine and remote controls DO NOT use the MWS harness. If you get a newer remote control, be sure it is not intended for the MWS harness.

If I recall correctly, in c.1986 the engine harness was wired directly into the remote controls at the helm end, and at the engine end of the cable the wiring terminated in a large red rubber Amphenol plug.

VKR

Postby VKR » Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:27 pm

Thanks for the very thorough response to my question and related concerns. I’ll take the top-mount remote control apart to clean up the parts, and will apply lubrication upon reassembly. I’m not sure whether the mechanical components are metal, plastic or a mixture of both. If metal I’m thinking OMC Triple Guard grease is a good option for lubricant.

My cables are original and 18-feet in length. Exiting the tunnel they turn 90 degrees, become parallel to the transom, then turn 270 degrees prior to entering the engine. I recall seeing a cable advertised with a very tight minimum radius specified, but will probably stay with the OMC part number.

I appreciate your tips on the possible electrical open I am experiencing. I hope the switch itself is still functional so I can clean it up with some contact cleaner such as DeoxI. I may splice-in in new marine grade wires. I’m also thinking the relays are worth checking out, if not simply replacing after 35 years.

Oldslowandugly

Postby Oldslowandugly » Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:26 pm

I hope you can clean the switch and get it working. Fresh control cables are always a good idea. Crowley marine lists a top-mount remote control as an accessory replacement going back to 1978 up to 2010. It is part # 5006182.

https://www.crowleymarine.com/parts/105996.cfm

I believe the OMC "snap-in" control cables are also used in that time frame. It looks like the PN 0395821 is tilt rocker-switch itself, and that part is obsolete and hard to get. If needed, the separate console mounted tilt switch is still available. It would take a bit of re-wiring, but would work just like the throttle mounted switch.

VKR

Postby VKR » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:37 am

Yes, you are correct, tilt switch p/n 039582 is no longer available through normal channels and at a reasonable price. Can you share the Console Mounted Trim/Tilt Switch part number you are referring to? I wasn't aware of that option.

VKR

Postby VKR » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:58 am

I was planning on purchasing the OMC OEM cables, which for 18-foot length have part number 173118.

Is there any functional advantage to the Teleflex TFExtreme option or UFLEX Mach Series option?

I am curious as to whether there is an option that provides some sort of upgrade in technology for smoothness of operation or longevity.

Thanks

Oldslowandugly

Postby Oldslowandugly » Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:49 pm

It is listed at Crowley under rigging accessories at

https://www.crowleymarine.com/johnson-evinrude/parts/39617.cfm

The whole kit is for rigging from the console to the motor I believe. It is similar to what came with the power trim-tilt kit that I back-fitted to my 48SPL.

If you look the switch itself is [has a cost that is] almost as much as the kit [cost].

Also look on Ebay as there are various generic replacements for the OEM throttle mounted switch.

As for the control cables I have used both OMC and Teleflex and I feel they are the same- excellent. Below are links to images

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/cIQAAOSw ... -l1600.jpg

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/y7UAAOSw ... -l1600.jpg

OMC appear to have used a cowling-mounted rocker switch, and adapted that switch to a console remote switch. The rocker switch looks the same as I have on my cowling. My console kit used a rubber coated spring loaded toggle switch, not the same as the cowling switch. It also came with a long console-to-engine cable.

VKR

Postby VKR » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:43 am

Oldslowandugly, Thanks for this information, I may need that part if my switch is the cause of the intermittent circuit.

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:29 pm

VKR wrote:Is there any functional advantage to the Teleflex TFExtreme option or UFLEX Mach Series option?

The realization of an advantage to replacing older cables with premium new cables will depend on the condition of the older cables and what quality tier they were. Generally buying the premium-grade or most-flexible mechanical remote control cables will produce a benefit compared to older cables of unknown grade and whose condition may have deteriorated over time.

VKR

Postby VKR » Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:30 am

To clarify, I was interested in a comparison based on brand new OMC, Teleflex TFExteme, UFLEX cable offerings or other (not a comparison of my original 1986 OMC cables to new cables). Often these old technologies are ripe for "leapfrog technology" and I am just curious as to whether there is an option worth considering other than new OEM OMC cables.

Albeit, the "leapfrog technology" is most likely the new fly by wire technology, which I am not considering as a solution for my 1986 Johnson. Thanks

Oldslowandugly

Postby Oldslowandugly » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:50 pm

I found the console mounted switch that came with my trim/tilt kit. The part # 0172899 is absolutely available. But I don't see the long cable from the console to the motor. [The switch] may just plug into the existing harness at the control box.

https://www.crowleymarine.com/parts/14062.cfm

Visit the above resource to see illustrations.

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:25 pm

Before stressing-out about where to get a replacement switch for the remote control handle, the cause of the circuit problem needs to be determined. The switch itself may be completely functional and not need replacement.